Well Tempered Labs Reference

daveyonthecoast

Well Tempered Labs Reference
« on: 18 Sep 2014, 11:53 am »
Hello friends,
I have just bought, brand new, reference, which will be here next week, it was left over's from a Hi Fi dealer, from old stock!!
I believe, that the  Herbies, Grungbuster, mat, is a good update, any thoughts!!, also I believe, in updates and tweeks, any one can offer me, suggestion, or upgrade what my TT sits on, which is normal, with the TT!!
Many thoughts, will be apprecieated!!
Many Thanks
David

threadkiller

Re: Well Tempered Labs Reference
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2014, 11:57 pm »
Good score on that. Hope you didn't overpay.
Do you have the original clear white acrylic platter or the black damped one?
Either way, I hate to tell you they weren't made for mats.
Try the Herbies. It will kill the sound on that table.
Have fun!

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2014, 12:56 am »
Hey David,
Congratulations on getting a great table!

It may be a little tricky to initially set-up correctly but once you mastered that, it'll sound like you're playing "master tapes"!

Build quality is fantastic & the table should last you a very long time!

No mats needed whatsoever as stated by "threadkiller"...

Enjoy,
Pete

daveyonthecoast

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2014, 11:00 am »
Thanks Frends,
I feel that the difference, between, the classic, and the reference, is were other people, are trying, to improve!!
1. The classic arm is made of steel, or alimunen, yet a upgrade was offered, by a 3rd party, made of cabon fibre, any improvement??
2. The Classic that I own was made in New Zealand, using there hardwood, which has 3 layes of the above, there has been a layer of fine lead, between, the 3 layers, of wood or PDF. However the reference is made of fountain marble, more mass, then the above, I'm sure!!
3. My classic has a a marigo audio clamp, around the tonearm cup!!, yet the Rererence, has addressed, this issure, buy beefing up there tonearm cup, with a extra layer, inside to improve damping, what the Marigo, was doing!!, A importer, or the well tempered was pissed of when I bought the new reference, from old stock, I paid $2,500 Aus, for a unused unit, now my name is garbage, down here as I bought a Reference, made in the USA, I wish to ask why would a unit made in China, like all new models, be supperiour??, I mean the design is the same, but what I have seen, build is "cheap" looking!!.
The reason for this thead, is everone, recond's the new models, are beter, than the earlier models, let's dicussed this!!
David

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2014, 09:04 pm »
Hi David
Several things here....
1) most carbon arms suck- translation- are terrible at making music
2) not sure what the Classic is that you have, the Firebaugh one did not have lead sandwiched in between. Nor was the Marigo anything an improvement, from all the ears that I trust.
3) the design is not the same, I repeat, not the same. Firebaugh worked for years fiddling with different parameters of the new tables.  I suppose the overall look/ design is similar, however.
Yes, agreed, it does look cheaper.  Yet just compare one to either a well set up Classic and Reference and you'll know why I tell you to sell both and buy a new one.