Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

nathanm

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #60 on: 6 Sep 2011, 04:37 pm »
Hmm, now I can't remember if  I have "Nightfall" on vinyl or not…I think I do.  Ages ago my parents took me to Washington DC.  All I cared about was seeing Thomas Cole's paintings in the art gallery, and it was definitely worth it.  Those suckers are HUGE!

My interest in Sepultura died with "Roots" if I remember correctly, but I will say that's a very cool album cover.

PRELUDE

« Reply #61 on: 7 Sep 2011, 02:26 am »

Two more weeks :thumb:
I am also getting into this band now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moZwgUex4aA

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #62 on: 7 Sep 2011, 04:12 am »
Wow. Four pages in and we still haven't seen him.

Yep. It's Metal. Turn it up.

:rock:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #63 on: 7 Sep 2011, 04:26 am »
Okay, so maybe I'm old.  :duh:

But only one other person has brought them up? Really?

PRELUDE

« Reply #64 on: 7 Sep 2011, 10:19 am »

Berndt

« Reply #65 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:41 pm »
Alice Cooper never really flipped my switch, I dunno why. Maiden on the other hand, oh yeah.
Been really grooving on Crom lately. They were on an agoraphobic nosebleed b side. Scored what recordings of theirs I could find. Interesting combination of sampling loops and metal with the swords and warrior theme.

The pursuit of Crom recordings led me to Conan.
Conans 12" 45s have the most saturated 2 chord metal tones I've ever heard on a recording. I enjoy them.

Berndt

« Reply #66 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:46 pm »
Oh yeah, Candlemass is also issuing their box set "doomology" on vinyl.
It is an import and said to be limited to 700 sets. Release is in October.

nathanm

« Reply #67 on: 7 Sep 2011, 05:51 pm »

:lol:  Oh man, I remember hearing the title track from this on a metal radio show years ago.  It cracked me up.  I don't mean that in a bad way - after all if heavy metal wasn't campy from time to time it would be less fun.

Ohhhh, I am loving those Conan covers.  If I saw that in a store I'd be at the register right now, excited, but bracing for eventual disappointment.  (It always happens.  Hell, my own artwork is on two metal CDs from bands that suck.  *sigh*  But I have no idea about Conan's music yet; I'm just saying that's been my history with cool album covers.)  This Dark Crystal "ripoff" poster is boss hog too.

Berndt

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio

PRELUDE

« Reply #70 on: 7 Sep 2011, 08:33 pm »
Ok,I do agree with you guys about Grim Reaper and most likely I bought that for cover art and I thought it would be ok and that is it.
Once in a while I go to my cd Rack to pick some thing that I did not listen to for a long time to play it in the car when I drive to work and this one came right in my hand this morning.

simoon

« Reply #71 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:12 pm »
I grew up listening to metal until I discovered progressive music. Metal lost it's interest for me. Then the 80's hair metal thing turned metal into a joke.

Then a funny thing happened in 1992 that I was unprepared for, Images and Words by Dream Theater was released.

A friend recommended it to me, telling me it was progressive-metal. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around those 2 forms of music becoming a sub-genre, but of course being open to all forms of music, I purchased the CD. After one listening, it made total sense.

Here's a bunch of musicians that were the following generation of the original progressive bands, that grew up listening to metal, but also had the chops and musical knowledge to create complex, long form, pieces.

So 20 years later we have a plethora of various styles of progressive-metal bands that all have what I look for in music.

There's technical-metal:

Spastic Ink
Spiral Architect
Aghora
Atheist
Cynic

There's fusion-metal:

Anomaly
Electrocution 250
Panzerballett
Planet X

There's prog-metal:

Dream Theater
Sun Caged
Prymary
Wolverine
Zero Hour

Avant-metal:

Sleepytime Gorrila Museum
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Leprous
uneXpect
Ephal Duath

Obviously these lists could be much longer, but these listed are pretty representative.

Berndt

« Reply #72 on: 7 Sep 2011, 11:21 pm »
I like hairmetal. Did then, do now. Saw monster of rock in '84,mommas boys, accept, ratt, iron maiden.
Ratt blew doors on everything else that day. Not even close.
Saw the operation mindcrime concert and didn't really feel a connection.
There is a tatata ton of discrete individual metal themes and sounds. Something for everybody.

nathanm

« Reply #73 on: 8 Sep 2011, 07:00 am »
I didn't really get into Queensryche back in the day, but when I listen to "Operation Mindcrime" these days I really like it.  I slowly realized that there was a definite Pink Floyd influence there.

Wow, Grim Reaper deserves credit - they are hilariously bad in both audio AND video!  I mean, take Candlemass - you listen to the audio and it's great, you create your own mental images but if you are unfortunate enough to see that early video of theirs...oh dear god NOOOO!  It makes me wince!  But wow, Grim Reaper looks as cheesy as they sound.

I got roped into the Spastic Ink thing thanks to its ties to Watchtower, but that stuff causes me mental anxiety. It's annoying on two levels; I know objectively that the person is highly talented but the music is sooo difficult to listen to.  But I of course WANT desperately to like this highly technical and nerdy music theory shit and feel that if I don't I'm somehow this knuckle-dragging troglodyte who's too simple-minded to appreciate the finer things.  I have the same musical guilt about jazz - there's this mysterious feeling that I'm SUPPOSED to think it's great, but I just can't do it.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #74 on: 8 Sep 2011, 11:58 am »
Any fans here?  Once you go Black, you can't go back!

I was a big Queesnryche fan back in the day.  Started with Rage For Order and fizzled with Empire.  'Rage' and 'Operation' are still two of my favorite metal albums but don't seem to get much play anymore.  I'll have to remedy that today!

PRELUDE

« Reply #75 on: 8 Sep 2011, 08:42 pm »
This band is made out of two bands. ICED EARTH + BLIND GUARDIAN and I only have two albums of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGMx0YkeTFQ

Wayner

« Reply #76 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:08 pm »
I believe that UFO still holds the world record for the loudest concert and I wouldn't call them Metal. So, how that fit into the OPs original statement, I don't know.

Perhaps loud does not equal metal.

Wayner  8)

nathanm

« Reply #77 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:24 pm »
Very true, Wayner.  Loud is good, but only if "and Clear" follows it!  Most metal shows I've been to had poor sound.  In some cases what I heard was reduced to the peakiest frequency band within the guitar crunch.  I don't know if that's strictly a case of resonances or if it is just how my brain was interpreting the loudness, but it's super annoying.  I remember very well a Metalfest where the roadie was sound checking the guitar and the sound was only coming from the guitar cab.  Then they put a mic in front of it and put it through the PA and my heart broke in a thousand pieces.  It was sooooo sad, this reedy little buzzy noise.   Fuuuuuuck…

Wayner

« Reply #78 on: 8 Sep 2011, 09:58 pm »
I'm not a big metal fan (forgive, too old), but I would have like to have heard (and felt) Metallica. I did see Deep Purple once up at Hinkley. We went t our motel room to listen to that one. I think the people in the first few rows had their intestines liquified when the concert started as I could feel the thump on my chest.

Wayner  8)

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #79 on: 8 Sep 2011, 10:53 pm »
I believe that UFO still holds the world record for the loudest concert and I wouldn't call them Metal. So, how that fit into the OPs original statement, I don't know.

I'd give UFO the nod as being a transitional hard rock / metal act at that time - there was a Schenker in that band for gawd's sake. I don't believe they ever laid claim to the title of "World's Loudest Band" although Deep Purple ( among others ) certainly did. The loudest dB reading I've come across was actually for Led Zeppelin @ 130. I was at a Motorhead show in a 1500-seater where they were taking dB readings at the board and were getting just south of 120. Loud ( but not Motorhead loud ) can be done cleanly - I saw a System Of A Down show in an arena and the sound was actually quite good - safe to say this is the exception rather than the rule in my experience...

D.D.