My Magnepan 1.7 is 4 inches above listening position

mendoza150

Hi,

My audio room is 19' X 16.50' and the floor consists of 2 sections one is 4" higher than the other and my magnepan 1.7 are installed on the elevated section. Can you please let me know if the sound quality or listening experience will be affected negatively by this arrangement?

Many thanks,

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: My Magnepan 1.7 is 4 inches above listening position
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2014, 01:25 am »
I guess it would depend on how high your ears are in relation to the speakers; I've found the speakers to sound best if your ears are right about at the middle of the speaker.

berni

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2014, 02:55 pm »
I think it can influence the lower end, perhaps you loose some energy there.

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2014, 05:57 pm »
I think it can influence the lower end, perhaps you loose some energy there.

How so?  He's not lifting the speakers off the floor, he has a floor which is 4" higher.

I can't see how this will have any negative effects on the "sound quality or listening experience."  It may have a positive effect for all we know.  The only person who can answer is the OP.

Dave.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2014, 09:03 pm »
I've not heard maggies on a "stage" but I have heard OB speakers on a similar platform (6") and they sounded great.  I suspect it will be fine...if not, get a pillow to sit on? 

berni

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2014, 12:38 am »
How so?  He's not lifting the speakers off the floor, he has a floor which is 4" higher.

I can't see how this will have any negative effects on the "sound quality or listening experience."  It may have a positive effect for all we know.  The only person who can answer is the OP.

Dave.

It depends where this "stage" ends. If it ends near the speaker it acts like lifting.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:02 am »
I raised my 3.7s up on little midget tables and it worked out really well for me.  That's probably about 4" off the ground, come to think of it.

Davey

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:19 am »
It depends where this "stage" ends. If it ends near the speaker it acts like lifting.

Not to the back of the speaker.  And if you don't actually lift them a front/back "leakage" (or cancellation) is not created underneath the speaker.  Volume of the room and placement within it is still nearly identical so I can't see any change to bass response at all with his configuration.

Higher up in frequency might be another story because with the vertical lobing of these speakers, 4" inches difference in height might be audible.  Whether it's detrimental or not, I don't know.

Dave.

berni

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2014, 02:09 am »
Not only the cancelation thing, how about the Allison effect?

Pryso

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2014, 05:44 pm »
I would think this is an advantage for planar speakers like Maggies, the transducers are vertical panels (albeit with varying widths, down to the ribbons on some).  Therefore it would seem the vertical dispersion window is much greater than with cones or domes.

But if you need to verify, try placing spacers no more than 1" high, first under the front of your bases, then under the back.  See what you hear with the resulting changes in panel tilt.