BDP-2 Digital Player

R. Daneel

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1120 on: 21 Jul 2015, 04:06 pm »
Okay,

I have another question. When the BDP-2 is in standby mode, there is a faint high-frequency tone coming from it. You can hear it when you're close to the machine. It stops when the machine is powered on. I'm just wondering what it is.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1121 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:45 pm »
Okay,

I have another question. When the BDP-2 is in standby mode, there is a faint high-frequency tone coming from it. You can hear it when you're close to the machine. It stops when the machine is powered on. I'm just wondering what it is.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

From engineering:
It is the switching power supply that is powering the front panel and needs to be on at less than 1/2 watt consumption to allow for remote turn-on. When turned on the switching power frequency changes as it is now powering the front panel.

james

srb

« Reply #1122 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:53 pm »
From engineering:
It is the switching power supply that is powering the front panel and needs to be on at less than 1/2 watt consumption to allow for remote turn-on. When turned on the switching power frequency changes as it is now powering the front panel.

So do all BP-2 owners have this faint high frequency tone coming from their unit on standby?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1123 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:05 pm »
So do all BP-2 owners have this faint high frequency tone coming from their unit on standby?

Not that I am aware off - first time I have heard of this.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1124 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:29 pm »
Not that I am aware off - first time I have heard of this.

james

Hi James!

BDP-1 produces the same tone, albeit a quieter one. I'm sorry to say but audiometric tests they performed on my hearing revealed I can hear frequencies of 22 kHz... It is not a blessing though.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1125 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:40 pm »
Hi James!

BDP-1 produces the same tone, albeit a quieter one. I'm sorry to say but audiometric tests they performed on my hearing revealed I can hear frequencies of 22 kHz... It is not a blessing though.

Cheers!
Antun

Wow that's impressive - I am limited to 14 K

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1126 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:51 pm »
Wow that's impressive - I am limited to 14 K

james

Well as impressive as it may sound, imagine being disturbed by a wristwatch ticking in a cupboard drawer in another room... I think you're good with 14 kHz since very few naturally occuring sounds go beyond. It is the experience that matters the most in the audiophile world and that you have plenty of  :thumb:

Cheers!
Antun

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1127 on: 22 Jul 2015, 12:02 am »
Hi Antun

From engineering:

james

I'd just like to add that it's our best guess, it's the only thing that's on when a BDP is in standby

R. Daneel

« Reply #1128 on: 22 Jul 2015, 04:30 pm »
I'd just like to add that it's our best guess, it's the only thing that's on when a BDP is in standby

But nobody else can hear it?

Marius

« Reply #1129 on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:26 pm »
But nobody else can hear it?

Hi Antun,
You're sure it's not the BR2 remote? It has a known high tone when lifted.
Not at my bdp to test right now, but i must admit having sensitive ears not always is a blessing . One of the reasons I prefer my Bdp play from the Nas instead of the Usb  drives.

edit: sorry for the autocorrect incorrections...

Cheers Marius 
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2015, 06:53 pm by Marius »

Krutsch

« Reply #1130 on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:46 pm »
Hi Antun,
You're sure it's not the BR2 remote? It has a known high tone when lifted.
Not at my bdp to test right now, but i must admit having sensitive ears not always is a blessing . One of the reasons I prefer my Bdo play from the Nas instead of the sub drives.

Cheers Marius

That's exactly why I switched to an SSD... to stop listening to drive noise.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1131 on: 23 Jul 2015, 03:30 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-2/BDA2 Review.

July 2015

Hi Folks,

An excellent full 4 page review on the Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player and BDA-2 DAC combo from  UHF Magazine (issue 96 – Summer 2015) .

Favourite quotes:

1.   The ‘good news’ is that the Bryston DAC translated the digital signals into music of the highest quality. 

The ‘bad news’ is that…there isn’t any bad news.

2.   The orchestral pieces had impact, a wide, deep soundstage and fine detail, and the kicker — Margie Gibson singing — was so human and nearby-sounding that it seemed to me that our reference DAC was outclassed.

Digital conversion has come a long way. I would say that Bryston has caught the wave of the future.

Email me  if you want the  PDF of complete review – jamestanner@bryston.com.

MoPac

« Reply #1132 on: 24 Jul 2015, 08:10 pm »
BDP-2  S2.16

I'm probably the only nutcake that did this, but I'll ask anyway.  Has anyone made a Playlist with a name consisting of only numbers and a sign.  I have playlists of the various sample rates ie. 48, 88.2, 96 etc...  They are named 48-24, 88-24, 96-24 etc...  When I try to delete any of these playlists they move to the center, turn red but do not disappear. :?  Has anyone experienced this same phenomenon.

Thanks, Rich

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1133 on: 24 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm »
BDP-2  S2.16

I'm probably the only nutcake that did this, but I'll ask anyway.  Has anyone made a Playlist with a name consisting of only numbers and a sign.  I have playlists of the various sample rates ie. 48, 88.2, 96 etc...  They are named 48-24, 88-24, 96-24 etc...  When I try to delete any of these playlists they move to the center, turn red but do not disappear. :?  Has anyone experienced this same phenomenon.

Thanks, Rich

That's will be addressed in the next software release and is fixed in the most recent testing/beta release

R. Daneel

« Reply #1134 on: 25 Jul 2015, 05:10 pm »
Hi!

I hope this doesn't qualify like another strange question but I was wondering --

upon boot-up of BDP-2, it signals it's loading the system with 4 consecutive tones while the BDP-1 does it with just one tone.

There's one other thing - BDP-2 and BDP-1 seem to have different rear panels. Obviously, I am not referring to the number of connectors or their disposition but the way the rear panel is mounted. The BDP-1 rear panel is essentially the bottom panel bent upwards while the rear panel on the BDP-2 is attached with screws. Is this to make the construction more flexible in terms of expansions?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1135 on: 25 Jul 2015, 05:48 pm »
Hi!

I hope this doesn't qualify like another strange question but I was wondering --

upon boot-up of BDP-2, it signals it's loading the system with 4 consecutive tones while the BDP-1 does it with just one tone.

There's one other thing - BDP-2 and BDP-1 seem to have different rear panels. Obviously, I am not referring to the number of connectors or their disposition but the way the rear panel is mounted. The BDP-1 rear panel is essentially the bottom panel bent upwards while the rear panel on the BDP-2 is attached with screws. Is this to make the construction more flexible in terms of expansions?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi

Yes we wanted more flexibility going forward.

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #1136 on: 25 Jul 2015, 06:13 pm »
James, what about the boot-up tones I mentioned in my previous post? Is this specific to the motherboard used - Intel vs AMD?

Also, I sent you a PM with my email address. If it isn't too much trouble, please send me the BDP-2/BDA-2 review from UHF.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1137 on: 26 Jul 2015, 05:17 pm »
James, what about the boot-up tones I mentioned in my previous post? Is this specific to the motherboard used - Intel vs AMD?

Also, I sent you a PM with my email address. If it isn't too much trouble, please send me the BDP-2/BDA-2 review from UHF.

Cheers!
Antun

HI - review sent - Chris can answer the boot up tones as I just assume its the new board - have you noticed how much better the 'start-up tones" fidelity is on the BDP-2  :lol:

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #1138 on: 1 Aug 2015, 01:33 am »
Q for James or Chris,since my BDP-2 got back and its sounding great(new sound card).
Seems I lost all playlists which is ok sort of,also when I make a list(not saved) and stop the BDP the whole list is gone.
before if I made a list(not saved)it would be there hour later or even the next day if I wanted to hear it.
Doesn't make sense to me if the sound card was changed that it would effect other operations.
hell I even upgraded to the new firmware today :o.
I won't get to excited at least we have tunes but WTF.
I even refreshed hoping that would keep the list...NOT.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1139 on: 1 Aug 2015, 03:57 am »
Q for James or Chris,since my BDP-2 got back and its sounding great(new sound card).
Seems I lost all playlists which is ok sort of,also when I make a list(not saved) and stop the BDP the whole list is gone.
before if I made a list(not saved)it would be there hour later or even the next day if I wanted to hear it.
Doesn't make sense to me if the sound card was changed that it would effect other operations.
hell I even upgraded to the new firmware today :o.
I won't get to excited at least we have tunes but WTF.
I even refreshed hoping that would keep the list...NOT.

The planet should only disappear if cleared, there are multiple ways multiple ways of clearing the playlist.  One which includes pushing the stop button twice in succession, could this be the cause?