DIY interconnect cable suggestions needed

roymail

• Roy in TX
DIY interconnect cable suggestions needed
« on: 31 Oct 2014, 08:15 pm »
Looking for low capacitance raw cable to make short 1 meter or less ic's that are flexible, small diameter and affordable.  Thinking of something like microphone cable or the like.  Does anyone have experience with Belden 1505F cable?  Will consider all suggestions.  Thanks!

WireNut

Re: DIY interconnect cable suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2014, 08:30 pm »
For unbalanced cables go with Belden 89259. I cant remember the number of cable for balanced lines but it's all teflon and copper. Great DIY cables, I use them both.

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2014, 09:10 pm »
The balanced line is Belden 89207.

yeldarb

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2014, 09:37 pm »
I made some up out of twisted pairs of plenum rated Cat5e.  Teflon insulation.  Cheap solder type rca connectors.  And they sound great.  My dvd player with typical mid grade rca cables didn't have enough guts to drive my tube amp properly.  I installed the homemade cables and there was a huge difference in "boogie factor"

It will cost you a few dollars to try this. :thumb:

wes_in_va

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2014, 10:19 pm »
These are pretty cheap to make and they're more invisible than anything I've used:
http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

I can't remember the capacitance measurements off the top of my head, but I remember they were quite low. These are also by far the most flexible interconnects I've used. I have a pair using LOK RCA's and a pair using some Chinese carbon/rhodium ones I got off ebay. I prefer the carbon/rhodium ones.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 1 Nov 2014, 12:19 am »
Those silver might be nice... Otherwise for under $50 I don't DIY can compete with Blue Jeans Cable.

c.coyle

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2014, 02:24 am »
Looking for low capacitance raw cable to make short 1 meter or less ic's that are flexible, small diameter and affordable.  Thinking of something like microphone cable or the like.  Does anyone have experience with Belden 1505F cable?  Will consider all suggestions.  Thanks!

I've made a bunch of short cables with Belden 1505F coax and Switchcraft 3502A RCA plugs.  Very flexible, durable, comes in colors.  The 3502A plugs are top quality and can be had for less than $2.00 U.S.a piece. 

More recently, I've been using Canare L-4E6S star quad cable and Canare F-09 RCA plugs.  Same comments as above.  The F-09 plug is a about $3.50 a piece. Twist the blues together, twist the whites together, only connect the shield at the source end.  Markertek is a good source for by-the-foot cable. 82 cents a foot for 1505F, 54 cents a foot for L-4E6S.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2014, 11:16 pm »
Thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions and specific information about wire and connectors.  Plan to give 'em a try.  :thumb: