Giving back to AudioCircle: a tour of an AC distribution box

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Giving back to AudioCircle: a tour of an AC distribution box
« Reply #60 on: 15 Apr 2014, 03:23 pm »

Jason you are wrong it meets code. Maybe I did not explain it properly.  The reason for the strip is to connect one outlet to another IN the duplex outlet. Removing the strip allows for using as two circuits from one duplex receptacle. The strip gets replaced by wire. The instructions clearly describe the removal of strip for that purpose. All we are doing is replacing brass strip with wire. Same connection just wire now. The duplex has holes in the back to accept the wire.

charles
Oh, this gets better.  So the little tab that you break off to seperate each plug gets replaced with wire and the blacks get blacker and sparkly highs come alive?  Got it.   :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #61 on: 15 Apr 2014, 06:42 pm »
Let's stay on target guys.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: 15 Apr 2014, 06:48 pm »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #63 on: 16 Apr 2014, 04:18 am »
I moved the distribution box to my main system tonight to see if my first impressions held true. 
Listening to Patty Larkin's "Regrooving the Dream", the Tesla did a better job of keeping the pieces of a busy song distinct, vocals were clear and instruments in their space.  The Hubbell's sharp edge actually made Vienna Teng's piano have the crispness that real pianos exhibit in their midrange and treble (and also accentuated the edge to her voice that sometimes has me fumbling for the remote volume).  The Porter continued to do everything well.  And the Maestro threw the broadest soundstage of the group while doing everything else well.  If picking one, it's close between the Porterport and the Maestro.  Tough call. 

A big thanks to Big Red Machine for making this available.  :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #64 on: 16 Apr 2014, 11:40 am »
I find that outlets make as much difference as power cables and more difference than interconnects.

I agree. The sonic differences among the outlets in the distribution box were easily discernible, and installing the Maestro made just as much of an improvement in my system as any other upgrade.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #65 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:07 pm »
Let's stay on target guys.

Just offering up my hands on experience with the wire tweak. Had the same experience as those who have used your device. It made a difference which was surprising , so the input.
   Good idea to allow direct comparison of receptacles.

charles

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #66 on: 24 Apr 2014, 01:40 am »
Deleted

« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2014, 05:10 am by mresseguie »

mresseguie

« Reply #67 on: 3 May 2014, 09:22 pm »
Hi, Big Red.

I'm just getting started, I'm afraid. I only received the AC box 2 days before Axpona plus the first few days after Axpona seemed to be filled with some sort of glow or high...I'm sure you guys have no idea what that is... :wink:

Right off the bat today I plugged Red's box with his PC into my ordinary wall socket. I then plugged my SimAudio amp's Triode Wire Labs 10+ into the Maestro. My DAC and SB Touch both have wall warts. They're plugged into the Maestro's 2nd socket via an adapter (an adapter? nooooooo!)  :lol:

Okay. I know all about one's mind playing tricks and such and this isn't double blind, nonetheless......

I played some solo piano tracks first. I immediately noticed two things. The first was a deeper, fuller bass (lower mid-range?) and the second was the wall behind my speakers seems to have been moved back a few feet. I've often wished that side of the room were four or five feet deeper...

I'm now listening to Yo Yo Ma's Vivaldi: Concerto in D Minor for Viola D' Amore & Lute. My whole room seems to have grown a bit. It's more obvious as more instruments join in. Cello seems to resonate (or is this timbre?) in a way a stringed instrument does when it is sitting 10 feet from you.

I've got a piano/violin CD I'll play later today. I'm curious how that sounds. I'll play the Eagles: Hotel California, Dire Straits: Telegraph Road, and some acoustic guitar as time allows. Hopefully, I can con my wife into switching outlets after my next listening session. Double blind really is more appropriate IMHO.

I'll update this tomorrow. We must leave soon for a house warming party. I baked a lasagna, and my wife is preparing a Taiwanese marinated pork/Donggua dish for that. Donggua = Winter Melon for you non-Taiwanese folks.

Michael

Big Red Machine

« Reply #68 on: 1 Nov 2014, 03:04 pm »
Box is back in Kalamazoo now.  Only slightly worse for wear.

I'm going to tweak it a little bit and put it to work in my revamped system next week.

WireNut

« Reply #69 on: 1 Nov 2014, 03:57 pm »
That was an awesome tour BRM. I loved your distribution box  :thumb:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #70 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:21 pm »
Any chance it's hitting the road again? In SE PA, 19363.

mresseguie

« Reply #71 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:33 pm »
BRM,

Many thanks for including me in that tour. It was my first! Since I sent it away, there must have been several recipients. No more feedback?

Michael

roscoeiii

« Reply #72 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:54 pm »
Michael,

It got stuck in Chicago with me and jackman who were pretty overwhelmed with other stuff.

polyglot

« Reply #73 on: 5 Nov 2014, 04:02 pm »
Just discovered this thread so my belated comment: I have used a PI Ueberbuss to do the same kind of experiment with Maestro, Teslaplex SE and Furutech GTX D / D(r) and have similar experience as here mentioned. IME the best value for money is the Maestro which exhibits a neutral tonal balance. Tesla is great who need a bit more of a sparkle (great dynamics) in their system and emphasis the highs (a bit too much), my choice is the Furutech GTX-D(r), everything just better,  no downsides and I prefer the rhodium vs the gold version as it is more neutral.

As for power conditioners, I have noticed those with metal casing have to deal with vibration issues. No wonder some like Syngergistic Research, PI Audio, Tripoint, etc are using wood or other material for encasing.

Star grounding is important, Audience adept Response (not the wall and older versions) have ground bars and BRM is incorporating that well in his design. 

Maybe we could built something close to the Weizhi PRS-6 in a group buy if someone can produce the chassis (CNC Duralumin or aluminium with dampening coating).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #74 on: 5 Nov 2014, 04:56 pm »
Good points.  I am going to change out the 5362 and Porter for another Maestro and a GTX and then add quartz and tourmaline crystals between the bars and the duplexes if I can fit them in there in baggies, or such.  Should be another fun round.  I have an Acoustic Revive unit coming today that will downstream gear through this box so I want it to incorporate some of the same goodies.