Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

JEaton

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #200 on: 10 Apr 2014, 04:27 am »
Try http://radio.cesnet.cz:8000/cro-d-dur.flac

16 bit 48K flac, so higher than CD quality stream.  Sounds great.

I have only been able to play it using VLC Media player.  JRiver chokes on it and my Squeezebox too.

Squeezebox can play this now. It may require Logitech Media Server 7.8, but try it with 7.7.x first. Ogg Flac playback has recently been added.

smargo

« Reply #201 on: 12 Apr 2014, 04:20 pm »
im listening to "CoolRadio Jazz" from an internet station from germany - at 320kbps

and it sounds ok to good (at least its not poor) - with the sony dsee engaged

im just saying that the sony does justice to the 320kbps stations

smargo

« Reply #202 on: 13 Apr 2014, 06:25 am »
prob this topic needs to be in the "HiRez music circle" under SACD Ripping Service - Free

but im putting this here because im using the sony for this

"Dminches" who is a fellow audiocircler ripped 7 sacd's for me - he ripped them in dsd 2.8Mhz to a thumb drive i provided to him - so i can play them finally on the sony instead of a cd player

its so nice to have your sacd's ripped into a dsd file without having to download the file in dsd from a site and pay extra money when you already have the sacd

the sacd's ripped were

1.Patrica Barber - Companion

2. Jimmy Cobb Quartet - Jazz in the Key of Blue

3. Ike Quebec - Soul Samba

4. Jacques Loussier Trio - The Best of Play Bach

5.James Taylor - Hourglass

6. Kenny Burrell - Mignight Blue

7. First Impressions Music - Audiophile Reference IV

Whats nice is they sound as good on the sony as my mechanical devices (I have 2 cd players)

again thanks to "Dminches" who provided this ripping service - he was thorough and creative - for a few of my disks had a lot of scratches - fast communicator - fast turnaround

smargo

« Reply #203 on: 16 Apr 2014, 02:35 am »
im posting again because sony updated their software for the hap-Z1ES - when i went to use my iphone this morning

i got a message when i tried to access the sony that before i could use the app that the physical player had to be updated

so i turned off the player for about 30 seconds - then i turned it on - and on the screen of the sony it performed the update seemlessly

after the update which took about 3 minutes - i could use the app again on my cell phone without any glitches whatsoever!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #204 on: 16 Apr 2014, 03:05 am »
im posting again because sony updated their software for the hap-Z1ES - when i went to use my iphone this morning

i got a message when i tried to access the sony that before i could use the app that the physical player had to be updated

so i turned off the player for about 30 seconds - then i turned it on - and on the screen of the sony it performed the update seemlessly

after the update which took about 3 minutes - i could use the app again on my cell phone without any glitches whatsoever!

Hi Smargo,

I just updated mine, no glitches.

The question that I have now is where does Sony post about the update and what it fixes?  :scratch:

Thanks,

Vinnie

Stercom

« Reply #205 on: 16 Apr 2014, 09:32 am »
Hi Smargo,

I just updated mine, no glitches.

The question that I have now is where does Sony post about the update and what it fixes?  :scratch:

Thanks,

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie -

Here is the explanation from Sony. Its found at:  http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=HAPZ1ES&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab
In the drop down select SYSTEM SOFTWARE then select FIRMWARE.

Thanks,
Scott

********************************************************************************************************************************
File Description UPDATE HAP-Z1ES HDD Audio Player Firmware Upgrade Release Date 4/15/2014 Version 12000R File Size 1 Bytes Download This firmware upgrade (version 12000R) provides the following benefits:

Improvement over version 10435R:
Adds support for folder base browsing
Adds support for deleting content from the device
Note: Supports the "Contents List Option" menu by pressing and holding "ENTER"
Adds support for Gracenote™ data manual acquisition from a track

IMPORTANT: If you use the HDD Audio Remote app on your smartphone or tablet, you must also update the app software

Benefits provided by the previous update and included in version 12000R:
Supports the DSD Remastering setting
Supports the DSEE setting for Internet Radio
Supports content information (song title etc.) display for vTuner
Note: Information displayed depends on each station.
Supports warning messages when un-supported content is selected (i.e., Unplayable contents, Copyright protection / Multi-channel / Not supported)
Improves user operation for content browsing
Improves the system operation to prevent from selecting unsupported ATRAC® files with DRM (Digital Rights Management) content
Improves the compatibility for enhance interactivity with music files
Note: This update is only available by performing a Network Upgrade. The update file is not available to download and install from this page.

smargo

« Reply #206 on: 16 Apr 2014, 01:54 pm »
stercom - thanks for the thorough explanation!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #207 on: 16 Apr 2014, 04:04 pm »
stercom - thanks for the thorough explanation!

Thanks, Stercom!

All,

The Sony HAP-Z1ES is on the cover of the new Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/now-newsstands-istereophilei-vol37-no5

I'm looking forward to reading it!

Vinnie

smargo

« Reply #208 on: 16 Apr 2014, 08:17 pm »

OzarkTom

« Reply #209 on: 16 Apr 2014, 08:58 pm »
I know this will not match any of the mods currently out there, but I have my Sony running through a 299 buck IFI Itube as a pre into my Job 225 amp and this is a very fun listening experience, lots of emotion and holographic imaging. Until I get my funds all together for one of these ultra mods, I am very happy. :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #210 on: 17 Apr 2014, 01:04 am »
Very cool, I can now delete tracks by using my IPad.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #211 on: 17 Apr 2014, 01:05 am »
Very cool, I can now delete tracks by using my IPad.

Very nice!  Good on Sony for adding this in..

Alexdad54

« Reply #212 on: 17 Apr 2014, 02:23 am »
Think they'll ever offer this in black? I'm not holding my breath about it being available in Canada any time soon either...good excuse for a cross-border shopping trip though! :)

OzarkTom

« Reply #213 on: 19 Apr 2014, 02:56 am »
I cannot get over on how good some of these internet stations are sounding, I wish my downloaded CDs sounded this good. My current favorite station is ABC Lounge Webradio. They play easy listening music with very high quality sound.

mav52

« Reply #214 on: 20 Apr 2014, 03:18 pm »
Is there any limitation of the numbers of tracks this Server can handle.

I've read a comment on another forum "" the Sony can only handle a library of no more than 40,000 tracks.

Does that include the combined capacity of the internal HDD and an attached USB HDD? """

Or is this some limitation of a controllable device like a Ipad or Android device

Rob50

« Reply #215 on: 25 Apr 2014, 02:07 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum. ( and a basically a total novice, where audio equipment is concerned, especially technical / connection stuff !! ) I have been reading various reviews / info on Sony's Hi Res products for sometime. ( I actually bought a Sony Hi Res Walkman - F886, five months ago. )
For months now, I have been debating whether to buy the Sony HAP- S1 or the HAP-Z1ES ?? I would love to go for the latter, but finances are pushed ! So was considering the HAP-S1 as an alternative ?
During the last few days, I have been listening to DSD files. ( converted ) on my Walkman, and have been blown away by the sonic quality !! This has made my desire to purchase one of the HDD systems, even greater !
I'm sort of swaying towards the HAP-Z1ES, because of the extra storage & the DSD Re mastering engine. My main concern with going with this option is, that I only have low / mid end budget equipment, i.e. Sony AV Receiver STR-DH820 & Sony speakers MS-366T. Obviously, to get the true benefit of this player, it would need matching amplifier or high end equipment.
Excusing my ignorance, I know the files are transferred from my laptop to the hard drive of the player, but would my above receiver need to recognise / playback DSD files. ( which I know it doesn't ! ) ? I don't want to go ahead & buy the HAP-Z1ES & find that I need to change my AV Receiver, in order to use it ! ?
Any feedback / advice, would be very much appreciated !

smargo

« Reply #216 on: 26 Apr 2014, 09:36 pm »
 i saw on the phsical player there was an update i had to perform yesterday - it could have been there a couple of days - i wasnt looking at the physical player until yesterday - this is what i noticed

I know stercom previously posted this link for firmware upgrades

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=HAPZ1ES&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

this is what the firmware upgrade does

File Description UPDATE HAP-Z1ES HDD Audio Player Firmware Upgrade Release Date 4/23/2014 Version 12083R File Size 1 Bytes

DOWNLOAD
This firmware upgrade (version 12083R) provides the following benefits:
Improvement over version 12000R:
Improves secure communication
Benefits provided by the previous update and included in version 12083R:
Adds support for folder base browsing
Adds support for deleting content from the device
Adds support for Gracenote™ data manual acquisition from a track

IMPORTANT: If you use the HDD Audio Remote app on your smartphone or tablet, you must also update the app software
Supports the DSD Remastering setting
Supports the DSEE setting for Internet Radio
Supports content information (song title etc.) display for vTuner
Note: Information displayed depends on each station.
Supports warning messages when un-supported content is selected (i.e., Unplayable contents, Copyright protection / Multi-channel / Not supported)
Improves user operation for content browsing
Improves the system operation to prevent from selecting unsupported ATRAC® files with DRM (Digital Rights Management) content
Improves the compatibility for enhance interactivity with music files
Note: This update is only available by performing a Network Upgrade. The update file is not available to download and install from this page.

Gzerro

« Reply #217 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:56 pm »
Excusing my ignorance, I know the files are transferred from my laptop to the hard drive of the player, but would my above receiver need to recognise / playback DSD files. ( which I know it doesn't ! ) ? I don't want to go ahead & buy the HAP-Z1ES & find that I need to change my AV Receiver, in order to use it ! ?
Any feedback / advice, would be very much appreciated !

You AV receiver will be fine. The HAP-Z1ES does all the decoding and connects with analog outs.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #218 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:40 am »
I got a HAP here now I have been enjoying for awhile. I am super happy with the sound of this thing. It has a "there is just something right about it" sound to it. Sounds great to me. I would not want to mod this thing for fear of losing its musical addictiveness. Just an immersive sounding player that really gets it right IMO. The sucker just plays good sounding music!

OzarkTom

« Reply #219 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:47 am »
I got a HAP here now I have been enjoying for awhile. I am super happy with the sound of this thing. It has a "there is just something right about it" sound to it. Sounds great to me. I would not want to mod this thing for fear of losing its musical addictiveness. Just an immersive sounding player that really gets it right IMO. The sucker just plays good sounding music!

I have the IFI Micro Itube hooked up with the 3D circuit turned on playing my stock Z1. This is so amazing, at times you feel like you are sitting within the soundstage itself.