Modular 1x12 Servo OB Sub enclosures

cnm_mike and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 354 times.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Modular 1x12 Servo OB Sub enclosures
« on: 16 Apr 2024, 01:12 pm »
Hi, sorry if I've missed discussion of these 12", single unit servo sub enclosures.  I've seen some pictures on FaceBook.  Just wondering if I'm missing anything with this direction.  Is it what it looks like... modular 12" sub enclosures that you can move around / stack, put on the floor side by side, etc.  And also have the ability to "grow" the amount of bass you want / need.  It appears they have provisions to bolt together to help rigidness / stability.

If someone wanted a Double setup... 2-12" woofer per side, is there any performance disadvantage to doing this modular route vs having the single, dual 12" driver enclosure?

Any chance to put a tape measure to a pair of these single units stacked, for the overall height of a pair of them?

These appear to make a lot of sense... wondering what I'm missing...if anything.

Thanks for sharing this!  I didn't realize they existed.

HAL

Re: Modular 1x12 Servo OB Sub enclosures
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2024, 03:26 pm »
Hi, sorry if I've missed discussion of these 12", single unit servo sub enclosures.  I've seen some pictures on FaceBook.  Just wondering if I'm missing anything with this direction.  Is it what it looks like... modular 12" sub enclosures that you can move around / stack, put on the floor side by side, etc.  And also have the ability to "grow" the amount of bass you want / need.  It appears they have provisions to bolt together to help rigidness / stability.

If someone wanted a Double setup... 2-12" woofer per side, is there any performance disadvantage to doing this modular route vs having the single, dual 12" driver enclosure?

Any chance to put a tape measure to a pair of these single units stacked, for the overall height of a pair of them?

These appear to make a lot of sense... wondering what I'm missing...if anything.

Thanks for sharing this!  I didn't realize they existed.

These are the standard modular open baffle H-Frame flat pack modules that captainhemo makes for the GR-Research 12in OB servo driver.  Basically the same dimensions as the full cabinets, but modular so you do not have to move heavy cabinets as the modules with servo drivers in full cabinets.  They have been around for a few years and there are threads here on other builds I have done of them.  With the top on, a 2x12 stack is at 31.25in high from base to top cap.

There are a few different top cap versions that he makes so that depends on the look the customer wants.  I have both the tops with overhand and flush fit for different sub towers.

These are designed to go with the Rythmik Audio A370 and HX300 OB series servo amps.

The picture is me building up two 6x12in modular servo sub stacks for my room.  These will be painted once completed with an automotive Hot Rod Black.  Just completed gluing the first 6 modules.

There is no performance difference.  The good part is that it can be made as a 2x12 and later expanded to more modules if wanted.  I have them for doing shows as they can be wired to the servo amps in either 2, 3 or 4x12 driver configurations.  For a 6x12 configuration two servo amps are needed.

Hope that helps.

jmimac351

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2024, 11:59 pm »

Hope that helps.

It did very much!  Thank you!

HAL

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:02 am »
You are welcome.

Will post some other pictures in this thread as I get them assembled and painted.  Up to module #7.    :D

Jaytor

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:29 pm »
Here's a photo of my quad modular subs.

And hers a photo with the overhanging top plate. I prefer the flush look.

Nick B

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:31 pm »
Here's a photo of my quad modular subs.

And hers a photo with the overhanging top plate. I prefer the flush look.

Those are very nice. This is your work or you had someone build these?
Nick

Jaytor

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:33 pm »
Those are very nice. This is your work or you had someone build these?
Nick

The cabinets were made by captainhemo and he had them painted by his local paint shop before I picked them up. I installed the drivers, wired them up, built the crossovers for the Line Forces and made the grills for the subs. 

kaplanent

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:47 pm »
Hi Jaytor,

Magnificent execution of the quad servo subs and line force arrays.
If you've never heard this type of setup before you must have been stunned at the sound quality of properly recorded vocals, low distortion and realistic sound-stage.
I've only finished mine about 2 months ago.

I have a few questions if you don't mind sharing?

1. Are you driving each servo stack with the A370PEG servo amp?
    I though these would only work with 3 paralleled drivers. 4 drivers is 4 ohms, so I think it would work, but I read 3 only.

2. How does the line force sound with the straight wing?
    I designed mine with a straight wing, as It's cleaner to fabricate.
    I have them slightly toed in.
    I think it sounds amazing. But I have no way to compare.

3. Are you using the original B&G's, clones or a combination?
    I bought up enough of the B&G's over 2 years to finally finish them.

I also designed my servo sub stacks modular as a double 4, but with the bottom cube used for the amp only.
It keeps the wiring very short.
I would like to add the fourth sub to each.

I designed the line force to be modular with three panels each with 2 Neo10's and 6 Neo3's.
So much easier to move. I can assemble and disassemble in about a half hour. (I used blind mate connectors.)

Here are some pictures:
The subs are unfinished as they are behind the screen.
I'm going to add the center channel using the GRS clones.
It would still be better than the center I'm using now.

Assembled in front of the screen to do initial testing.

And a picture during assembly.

Thanks,

Alan

Jaytor

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:10 pm »
Hi Jaytor,

Magnificent execution of the quad servo subs and line force arrays.
If you've never heard this type of setup before you must have been stunned at the sound quality of properly recorded vocals, low distortion and realistic sound-stage.
I've only finished mine about 2 months ago.

I have a few questions if you don't mind sharing?

1. Are you driving each servo stack with the A370PEG servo amp?
    I though these would only work with 3 paralleled drivers. 4 drivers is 4 ohms, so I think it would work, but I read 3 only.

2. How does the line force sound with the straight wing?
    I designed mine with a straight wing, as It's cleaner to fabricate.
    I have them slightly toed in.
    I think it sounds amazing. But I have no way to compare.

3. Are you using the original B&G's, clones or a combination?
    I bought up enough of the B&G's over 2 years to finally finish them.

I also designed my servo sub stacks modular as a double 4, but with the bottom cube used for the amp only.
It keeps the wiring very short.
I would like to add the fourth sub to each.

I designed the line force to be modular with three panels each with 2 Neo10's and 6 Neo3's.
So much easier to move. I can assemble and disassemble in about a half hour. (I used blind mate connectors.)

Here are some pictures:
The subs are unfinished as they are behind the screen.
I'm going to add the center channel using the GRS clones.
It would still be better than the center I'm using now.

Assembled in front of the screen to do initial testing.

And a picture during assembly.

Thanks,

Alan

Nice system.

I'm using HX800XLR amps. Each of these has two 400w amps which are connected to two drivers.

The wings on my Line Forces are at an angle (I'd guess around 80 degrees). I've included a couple photos of the back below. I'm using BG Neo10s which I purchased from Parts Express right before they became unavailable. I have a few spares in case I have driver failures in the future. The tweeters are GR-Research  NEO3s.

I'm currently using a passive crossover, but I'm planning to experiment with active in the near future. I've been super busy with work and recovering from knee replacement surgery so haven't gotten very far yet. But I have a Danville Nexus 2/8 and a Sublime Acoustic K235 to experiment with. I'm currently building a pair of stereo amps based on Nelson Pass's F5M circuit to try driving them with the active crossovers.

HAL

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 11:28 pm »
Building new 6x12 OB H-Frame servo sub cabinets from captainhemo.

Some modular 1x12 cabinets build pictures for the thread:

jmimac351

« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:36 am »
I sure am glad I asked about these modular sub enclosures!  This stuff is great and it seems like the best way to go.  The finished product doesn't look "pieced together"... it looks complete.  And you can grow into them to suit taste / space / investment. 

I have a "early prototype" of the NX-MTM that I am going to get after soon.  One of the things I've seen with how that's been done is to use the OB enclosure as a stand... but there are challenges with that, some are aesthetic. 

My lack of awareness of these modular units made that option a bit more difficult to "buy-in"... Double, Triple... which is the right choice / commitment. 

With these modular units, I think I'll be able to dial-in what I like... and also have some creative placement.  What if there were 2 or three on the floor, horizontally... then the NX-MTM on a stand that is "floated" on-center / over the sub enclosures below.  My Wilson Duette stand is built that way... if turned around, the speaker is projected forward, relative to the center column. The base would slide UNDER the sub, with the NX-MTM on the stand offset forward OVER the subs, not sitting behind them.

This modular route seems like the obvious choice.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:23 am »
With these modular units, I think I'll be able to dial-in what I like... and also have some creative placement.  What if there were 2 or three on the floor, horizontally... then the NX-MTM on a stand that is "floated" on-center / over the sub enclosures below.  My Wilson Duette stand is built that way... if turned around, the speaker is projected forward, relative to the center column. The base would slide UNDER the sub, with the NX-MTM on the stand offset forward OVER the subs, not sitting behind them.

This modular route seems like the obvious choice.

The "floating MTM" sounds like a great idea. I have an OB servo sub lying horizontally in the middle of my speakers. I think it sounds slightly better upright. I believe since the OB servo sub is playing higher than typical box subs, they're more localizable, so the bass will sound like it's coming from the floor. It's a minor consideration, but worth mentioning.

If I could design your speaker setup, I'd sandwich each of the NX-MTMs between the OB servo subs with two on the bottom and a floating one on top. The "NX-MTM Triple X" would be the envy of the audio world. 

HAL

« Reply #12 on: Today at 11:36 am »
If you are looking for a smaller footprint servo sub, I showed a modular 4x8in servo sub at CAF2023 with a pair of Magnepan MG10/QR speakers I modified for bi-amp and dspNexus 2x8 DSP crossover.  I built prototypes for the show from one style of flat pack cabinet.  The cabinets need refinement to look better but work correctly.

They go down to 30Hz with the 8in servo driver instead of the 16Hz with 12in servo drivers in the larger H-Frames.