DSP Device

Escott1377

DSP Device
« on: 16 Apr 2015, 06:48 pm »
I read about this unit in another thread, just can't remember where.  I was intrigued enough to bookmark it.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml

Does anyone have any experience with it?  This will be an easier ADD than trying to treat my current listening space.

My analog side is Soundsmith Voice > VPI 1 Classic > Manley Chinook > Manley Shrimp > Bi amp config

My digital side is Logitech Squeezebox > Cary DAC 100t > Manley Shrimp > Bi amp config

Reading thru the instructions, I "think" that you are limited with the device if you go digital in.

The manufacturer has not responded to me regarding taking the coax from the Logitech to the DSP to my DAC, all that seems to do is clean up the jitter.

After thinking it out, I think the best solution would be to take the Tape Out on the preamp into the DSP device, and then back into another input on the pre amp that will see the gain of the pre amp.

I'm stumped on how to toggle between digital and analog sources if I do this.  I know the Tape Out is always live, so is it as simple as turning off the analog or digital side when wanting to listen to the other?

Sorry for the ramble and any advice / experience / thoughts is greatly appreciated.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: DSP Device
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2015, 08:11 pm »
Several of us here use this device.  I use it's analog inputs.   I am unclear as to whether you have an active crossover, but normally this unit just goes after the preamp.  It does a great job of tightening up the bass.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2015, 08:13 pm »

JRace

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2015, 08:14 pm »
You can either use it as a preamp,
you can insert it before the dac,
or between your pre and your amp.

I would use it between your Preamp and your amps.

Escott1377

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2015, 08:54 pm »
You can either use it as a preamp,
you can insert it before the dac,
or between your pre and your amp.

I would use it between your Preamp and your amps.

With bi amping, would that be feasible?  I have a tube mono bloc on my T/M, and a solid state mono bloc on my woofers.  My speakers are Von Schweikert VR4jrs.

Thanks -

JRace

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2015, 09:08 pm »
yes, how are your amps wired to your pre amp at the moment?

Escott1377

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2015, 09:28 pm »
 My pre amp has dual outputs for bi amping.

Escott1377

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2015, 09:39 pm »

JRace

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2015, 10:20 pm »
The dual outputs are just a single output split inside the preamp.
You can just use RCA Y splitters instead.

Run output from pre-amp into DSP.
Then using RCA Y adaptors on the DSP output you would then run that into your amps.

Escott1377

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2015, 10:31 pm »
The dual outputs are just a single output split inside the preamp.
You can just use RCA Y splitters instead.

Run output from pre-amp into DSP.
Then using RCA Y adaptors on the DSP output you would then run that into your amps.

That seems easy enough.  Thank you.

Escott1377

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2015, 10:34 pm »
Since we have found a solution to the bi amp, to those that use the device please speak to how well it works?

Thanks.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #11 on: 18 Apr 2015, 02:57 pm »
I use mine on a pair of stereo subs, to great effect.  Bass is tight and punchy.  Unit has a bypass button so it is easy to compare processed sound to unprocessed.  Processed is always the clear winner.  Cannot testify as to sound on full range speakers (unit will process up to 500 Hz) because I get a slight buzz when I hook it up this way.  An improved power supply could probably fix this.

rodge827

« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2015, 06:42 pm »
My analog side is Soundsmith Voice > VPI 1 Classic > Manley Chinook > Manley Shrimp > Bi amp config

My digital side is Logitech Squeezebox > Cary DAC 100t > Manley Shrimp > Bi amp config

Reading thru the instructions, I "think" that you are limited with the device if you go digital in.

You could try this:

Analog side-
Connect the Manley Chinook to the XLR or RCA analog input on the Dual Core and use the internal ADC for room correction. Use the Analog Out from the D/C to an Input on the Shrimp. The ADC in the D/C is very transparent and you wont loose any of the vinyl magic. There are many reviews that can confirm this and my own experience as well.

Digital side-
Connect the Squeezebox via Toslink to the Toslink input and use the Dual Core DAC (limited to 24/96) which is a very good DAC in its own right. If you like the Cary 100t better connect the Squeezebox via Toslink to the D/C then Toslink to the Cary 100t this is the "Pure Digital" connection shown in the D/C manual. Then run the 100t to the Shrimp.

There are 4 Profiles (ABCD) independent of each other on the D/C. In each Profile you can determine the input and output that best suits it. You can use Profile A for your Analog side and Profile D for the Digital side. Run independent corrections for each Profile and make adjustments accordingly.

Of Note- If you are using the Analog Out from the D/C to the Analog In on the Shrimp adjust the Volume Out from the D/C so to not overdrive the Shrimp Input.

Also get a better power supply the D/C is 12vdc and can handle up to 15vdc I use an Astron SL 11A with very good results. 

Chris

Escott1377

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2015, 11:33 pm »
You could try this:

Analog side-
Connect the Manley Chinook to the XLR or RCA analog input on the Dual Core and use the internal ADC for room correction. Use the Analog Out from the D/C to an Input on the Shrimp. The ADC in the D/C is very transparent and you wont loose any of the vinyl magic. There are many reviews that can confirm this and my own experience as well.

Digital side-
Connect the Squeezebox via Toslink to the Toslink input and use the Dual Core DAC (limited to 24/96) which is a very good DAC in its own right. If you like the Cary 100t better connect the Squeezebox via Toslink to the D/C then Toslink to the Cary 100t this is the "Pure Digital" connection shown in the D/C manual. Then run the 100t to the Shrimp.

There are 4 Profiles (ABCD) independent of each other on the D/C. In each Profile you can determine the input and output that best suits it. You can use Profile A for your Analog side and Profile D for the Digital side. Run independent corrections for each Profile and make adjustments accordingly.

Of Note- If you are using the Analog Out from the D/C to the Analog In on the Shrimp adjust the Volume Out from the D/C so to not overdrive the Shrimp Input.

Also get a better power supply the D/C is 12vdc and can handle up to 15vdc I use an Astron SL 11A with very good results. 

Chris

Thank you for your response and hopefully patience with a couple of follow ups.

In the digital scenario, the D/C will still perform its room adjustments as essentially being a pass through device?

In 1 of the reviews that I read, the reviewer was using the device and it sounded to me like he could only use the "bypass" mode while in digital format.

I know I am ultimately going to purchase 1 of these in the next few months, just trying to get an understanding on how to best use it w/o disrupting the sound in my signal chain.

neekomax

« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2015, 03:28 am »
I have a DSPeaker Dual Core, use it as my DAC and room correction processor up to 200 Hz. It makes a huge difference. To answer your question, bypass works both when using analog or digital I/O.

Also, in my experience, I like to run the bass correction calibration with the gain on my subs and mains (they have active bass) turned down a bit, and then turn them up pretty high once I start listening. I feel that the corrected bass feels a bit thin if I leave the gains at the levels that I would use without correction. But I like thumping bass. Ymmv.