Significant surface noise on Sufjan Steven's Carrie and Lowell clear vinyl

krustykat

Did anybody else get the clear vinyl pressing of this album?  It has more surface noise than any other album I've bought in years.  Even after repeated washings with my vpi record cleaner it is hardly listenable.  This is a really great album and since it's a quiet solo/acoustic album, the noise really sticks out.  I not a big fan of colored or clear vinyl - it never seem better than the regular black vinyl version.  I got an MP3 download with the album and I prefer that to the constant surface noise on both sides of the album.  I'm curious if the regular black vinyl is any better.  Anyone else have experience with this album?

roscoeiii

Good to know. Yes, colored vinyl is usually noisier than black. Hope you are able to exchange the LP you got wherever you bought it.

BTW, wow the music on the album is great. Seeing him live next week!

yeldarb

The few clear or colored vinyls I have are noisy.  I now try to avoid them.

roscoeiii

Yeah, "special edition" my ass. Colored vinyl is just a gimmick. Sounds worse, and also more difficult to spot scratches on. Black please.

orthobiz

The nicest thing about colored vinyl and clear vinyl is...

It never gets dirty! No dust!

Just kidding...

Paul

krustykat

I've recently bought a few non-black vinyl albums that  were actually pressed quite well, the Dead Can Dance "Anastasia" and "In Concert" albums come to mind.  But then again, Low's "The Invisible Way" on Red vinyl was another recent pressing disaster that I can't listen to even though I really like the music.  Of course, I've had my share of disaster pressings on black vinyl, but it seems that the frequency of bad pressings on black vinyl is much much lower.  Not sure if there is a physical difference between the different vinyl colors that would cause these problems.  In general I wouldn't buy colored/clear vinyl if I knew the vinyl type when I was buying it and I had an option.

joegator81

Correct me if i'm wrong but isnt all non-clear vinyl colored vinyl? It all starts clear and then you chose the color: red, blue, white, black? So, color really should not have any bearing on how noisy a pressing is. Not saying that its impossible to have more poor pressings of colored vinyl, but i just don't see how a different color could be the cause.