Rebuilding my RM-40s and need some help

LosGatosSTI

Re: Rebuilding my RM-40s and need some help
« Reply #20 on: 6 Nov 2017, 07:00 am »
John C,

What is the D-OXO and how do you rewire the RM40 for it?

Do you have a schematic of the RM40 crossover? 

Thankfully ZAKski sent a sketch of the tweeter portion in my torching tweeter thread but it would be great to have a more complete version. 

I am wondering about ways to improve the entire RM40 crossover as I am already planning to install new 1.5 uF Jupiter Copper caps and new ribbon inductors. 

Is it a better to just bypass the internal crossover and use my Bryston 6BSST Amp driven by something like a Lyngdorgf TDAI 2170 with room perfect? 

Is there a way to utilize the Bryston and the Lyngdorf in a bi-amp configuration somehow with the RM40?  The Lyngdorf has two channels at 170 watts I believe and it would be great to be able to drive the mids and highs from the lyngdorf and the lower woofer with the Bryston.  I’m not sure if that is possible but maybe.

Thank you,

Scott

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 6 Nov 2017, 11:49 am »
The best sound I got from the RM40's I had was with the D-OXO, or Behringer DCX2496.  There are much better sounding digital crossovers now. 

I just wired the three sets of drivers going to the existing crossovers to three sets of 5-way binding posts and connected everything externally, for a tri amps setup (three stereo amps or 6 channels).  The tweeter should still have a series capacitor to protect the ribbon from low frequency signals that will destroy it.  The inductor can be removed from the circuit and the digital crossover add the extra single pole high pass needed.

I used much higher rate crossovers to minimize the overlap in frequency between the Neo panels and ribbon for better sound.

ZAKski288

« Reply #22 on: 6 Nov 2017, 05:49 pm »
Hal, so my RM40s have external crossovers. Three set of binding post on speakers. So if I were to use a DCX 2496 or your system, DSP music LCD system I would need to use a cap on the tweeter of what value or the same value as in my current crossover. This capacitor would be on the + side of the tweeter? Also what is the cost of your dsp system  THANKS  Ken

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2017, 06:42 pm »
Ken,
Since it is already wired for triamping, has the internal passive crossover been disconnected?  Not sure how VMPS did it for D-OXO, but I did it with a single cap that was in the original circuit, without the L-PAD and inductor coil.  Everything else was direct wired from binding posts to drivers with the original wiring.

The dspMusikLCD system is $2000.00 with the custom crossover for the RM40's.  It has been compared with the heavily modified DCX2496 and preferred by all that tried it.

ZAKski288

« Reply #24 on: 6 Nov 2017, 07:25 pm »
Thanks Hal,   Yes, the crossover (passive) is in a box and three set of wires connect to the binding post on the back of the speakers. The speaker wires are attached to the two sets of binding post on the crossover box.

I guess I will have to save up some $$$ for the dspMusikLCD.  Sounds like the way to go to achieve the next level with my speakers. Thanks  Ken

John Casler

« Reply #25 on: 6 Nov 2017, 08:25 pm »
John C,

What is the D-OXO and how do you rewire the RM40 for it?

Do you have a schematic of the RM40 crossover? 

Thankfully ZAKski sent a sketch of the tweeter portion in my torching tweeter thread but it would be great to have a more complete version. 

I am wondering about ways to improve the entire RM40 crossover as I am already planning to install new 1.5 uF Jupiter Copper caps and new ribbon inductors. 

Is it a better to just bypass the internal crossover and use my Bryston 6BSST Amp driven by something like a Lyngdorgf TDAI 2170 with room perfect? 

Is there a way to utilize the Bryston and the Lyngdorf in a bi-amp configuration somehow with the RM40?  The Lyngdorf has two channels at 170 watts I believe and it would be great to be able to drive the mids and highs from the lyngdorf and the lower woofer with the Bryston.  I’m not sure if that is possible but maybe.

Thank you,

Scott

Hi Scott,

D-OXO is a digital OUTBOARD crossover (Brian used the DCX-2496 and modded versions of it)  It also included a "digilog" section for the MR-Tweeter.

It was all external, and the so equipped RM-40 had 3 pair of Binding posts, just like the all analog OXO.

While many will testify that the DCX had really great sound, there are now superior devices.

The best I have heard, is the Xilica XD 4080 digital processor.  Kat Krossovers can give you more information he has studied B's XO's and knows all the values/specs/parts/and reasons Brian designed them the way he did.

I beleive Dave Housteau, our recording engineer for most of the Live-vs-VMPS SHOWS has used this device on his RM-v60 and MUCH preferred it over his modded DCX-2496

While many have suggested improvements or more conventional employment of the driver compliment, I cannot vouch for any specific change or path, if I haven't heard them. 

If you like, PM me and I can put you in touch with Mr. KAT.