Vinyl tweekers - this is your fave sticky post!!

Listens2tubes

Re: Vinyl tweekers - this is your fave sticky post!!
« Reply #20 on: 30 Dec 2006, 02:55 am »
You guys have it all goin' on!  :green: Man, the tweakin' we will go..  :icon_arrow: Well here's my solution to vibration isolation for my suspended beauty http://www.geocities.com/nealp2/TT.html a wall mounted shelf.

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 30 Dec 2006, 06:56 pm »
Cool shelf!

In my younger days, I would chain hang my turntable from the ceiling!

W

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2007, 01:06 am »
hey guys some fine tweaks, this is one i love zerodust for cleaning your cartridge, i use is after every lp, its so easy and works like a charm, if for unknown reasons you get a large clump caned air spray one quick hit works fine, also every month or so check your vta and azimuth dont know why but i have had to make small changes, our vinyl passion demands turntable maintenance for the best phono sound,  i am using several mentioned above, will repeat this one again clean lps are a must, i use the disc doctors cleaner and do it my manual way, happy lp spinning, no doubt to me it smokes digital and its fun to play with,

lazydays

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan 2007, 10:01 pm »
here's something I tried today, and really makes the bass have more presence.
Just seems to have more slam in the bass.
   Goto Hobby Lobby, and buy a couple 3mm thick foam sheets. Trim them to about the same diameter as an LP. Drill a hole for the spindle, and lay a Ringmat ontop of the foam rubber. The tweak cost me seventy nine cents. Now I'm gonna make a pretty one that's 6mm thick.
gary

Jade East

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:59 am »
   Goto Hobby Lobby, and buy a couple 3mm thick foam sheets. Trim them to about the same diameter as an LP. Drill a hole for the spindle, and lay a Ringmat ontop of the foam rubber.

Did you re-adjust the VTA after the placement of the additional mat?

gooberdude

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jan 2007, 05:34 pm »
If the foam works great for you, consider purchasing Herbie's Way Excellent Mat as the ultimate form of this tweak...     Herbie's products all have lengthy trial periods and i'll never use another mat with my TT.

lazydays

« Reply #26 on: 25 Jan 2007, 11:23 pm »
   Go to Hobby Lobby, and buy a couple 3mm thick foam sheets. Trim them to about the same diameter as an LP. Drill a hole for the spindle, and lay a Ringmat on top of the foam rubber.

Did you re-adjust the VTA after the placement of the additional mat?

I left the VTA alone as I was having an alignment problem as it was. I just couldn't get the tonearm low enough to level out the cartridge. This did help out with that problem as well. How much I can't really say, but do think it helped with the imaging a little bit.
    Last night I visited a couple hobby shops looking for a thicker piece of foam (this is real dense foam), but they had nothing. But I did find this stuff they use in model railroading to make track beds out of. It's softer, but still pretty cheap. Bought a 16" x 30" piece about .25" thick, and made another mat this morning. This got everything in the right alignment. Bass was even better, but the imaging was unchanged. I liked what I heard. Then after all this was done; I got my PACT digital scale out and reset the tracking force (found out I was .29 grams heavy). I set my Grado at 1.60 grams, and played three LP's with no problems. Later in the day I tweaked the cartridge azimuth just slightly (about a degree), and things got a little better yet. So I'm leaving that part alone for now, as I've ran into another problem I never knew I had. My tonearm cable has suddenly started to become a radio antenna! Guess I've got to find a way to shield it, as it really sounds good.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #27 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:23 am »
well I don't know if many of you have been following my (ever seeming) ongoing quest to get feedback destroyed. I really don't get feedback as many of us would normally think, but I did find that I was picking up motor vibrations as well as someother nasty stuff. I'll set the stage for what I've been upto, and where we are going.
Ok, I'm using my Opera turntable right now with a Denon D103 cartridge mounted on a Vandenhul modded SME IV tone arm. The cables to phonostage is also Vandenhul's best. From the phonostage to the preamp I'm using a Zu Gede going into my Odyssey Candella. The turntable and phonostage (Wright WP100) sit ontop an Alantis rack (three shelf). The rack isn't bad, but could be a little better as it sits on four points instead of three. We'll adress this later in the year.
* I started this out with the T.T. setting atop the OEM feet, as well as the motor. Use monofilment 8lb. fishing line for the string. Mat is a Ringmat Aniversery model. There are fresh tubes in the phonostage that maybe have 30 hours on them. Sounds OK, but bass is a little dull. Upper-mids are fair, and highs are somewhat compressed. It's still better than a 20 bit CD

* Next step was the addition of copper-tungstin pucks under the table and motor. Bass is better (tighter, and maybe a touch better defined. Rest are the same as above.

* For a third step I added a Ginko Cloud to the equation, but left out the pucks. Motor sits ontop of the Ginko. Big difference in sound. Bass is very good, and much warmer. Upper end of the register has now opened up dramaticly, and is noticably warmer. Later I added wooden pucks under the table feet. Not much difference if any. But music is much more lifelike. I can still feel a little vibration in the motor housing, but almost nothing on the table base. We are on the way I think.

* Left the table setup alone and put 10mm thick slab of very soft but dense rubber under the motor feet. Bass is a little warmer, but not overpowering. I like this. Vocals are very real, and I've heard things I never knew were on the recording. Upper end is about the same, but with one big difference. The music is much (and I mean very much) more musical. Sounds live! Keyboards are to die for. Time to move the phono stage and cables to further clean the act up. Think the Zu is going to be changed for a very short (18") cable, and want to move the power supply for the phonostage as far away as I can from the phonstage itself.

But in doing this I also learned I have another short comming in my rig. It's the cartridge! It dosn't like to track deep bass, and watched it dance around all over the place during a Vivaldi playback. I need to check the tracking force with my electronic scale (a real pain). Love to have a spacer for the headshell (maybe 2mm), and might make my own out of balsa wood or plywood. Also want to ditch the Ringmat in the near future, as I just don't like the way the LP sets on it.
    I wont be doing much more to the setup for a month or so other than string changes and moving the power supply. There is a sandbox in the works for the motor (box is done, but need to fab a bracket and cut a slab of granit). For the next few weeks I'll be breaking in my new upgraded Odyssey Mono SE's , and my new speakers.
gary

risabet

« Reply #28 on: 8 Mar 2008, 09:57 pm »
Linn Ittok specific- place two of Herbies HAL-O Jr, dampers on the arm right behind the headshell and and a little past the halfway point towards the bearing.  This is the simplest mod for the Ittok but it tames the "splashy "quality of the arm and allows a significant increase in clarity and detail retrieval, $10.00.  This may work with other arms whereas many arms may not benefit.  Remember to reset VTF when adding the dampers. .

Walterwalter

« Reply #29 on: 8 May 2008, 12:07 pm »

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=25k4q2r&s=3
Hi everybody, this is my last upgrade. It is a detachable light operated auto shut-off, patent pending. See also a video, link above.
« Last Edit: 8 May 2008, 12:25 pm by Walterwalter »

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2008, 02:19 pm »
Hi everybody, this is my last upgrade. It is a detachable light operated auto shut-off, patent pending. See also a video, link above.

Very interesting, I've been thinking of something to turn off my TT remotely, or automatically at the end of a disc. Got any more details/info?

Thanks,

Steve.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2008, 04:31 pm »

Very interesting, I've been thinking of something to turn off my TT remotely, or automatically at the end of a disc. Got any more details/info?

Thanks,

Steve.
that is certainly cool, but you can do this a lot easire w/an auto lifter.

vintage thorens "cue-up":

cue-up on my oracle:

audio-technica lifter:

audio-technica lifter on my oracle:

there is also a newer (but still discontinued) lifter that you can find, from expressimo audio:

doug s.

stevenkelby

« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2008, 04:49 pm »
Thanks a bunch for that Doug, just did some looking but it seems expressimo  are no longer in business (website down) and there are none of these to be found anywhere.

Found a couple threads saying they can cause mischief anyway, launching the arm back across the record, digging holes with the needle...

I would be happy just to have something to kill the power at the plug without me having to get up, if I want to fall asleep after an LP, without even lifting the needle. Maybe a remote controlled power outlet is what I need?

Still, turning sides makes me get up.

Maybe what I really need is to relocate my TT to right next to me chair!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2008, 05:04 pm »
Thanks a bunch for that Doug, just did some looking but it seems expressimo  are no longer in business (website down) and there are none of these to be found anywhere.

Found a couple threads saying they can cause mischief anyway, launching the arm back across the record, digging holes with the needle...

I would be happy just to have something to kill the power at the plug without me having to get up, if I want to fall asleep after an LP, without even lifting the needle. Maybe a remote controlled power outlet is what I need?

Still, turning sides makes me get up.

Maybe what I really need is to relocate my TT to right next to me chair!

yes, expressimo is discontinued, as i stated.  all these are awailable only used.  i have seen thorens cue-ups sell for over $100 on ebay!?!  my cue-up & a-t lifters function perfectly; never had a record damaged.  a buddy of mine uses the expressimo lifter, & has not had any issues either...

doug s.

stevenkelby

« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2008, 05:11 pm »
yes, expressimo is discontinued, as i stated.  all these are awailable only used.  i have seen thorens cue-ups sell for over $100 on ebay!?!  my cue-up & a-t lifters function perfectly; never had a record damaged.  a buddy of mine uses the expressimo lifter, & has not had any issues either...
doug s.

Ah yes I see. I thought you meant that it was discontinued, but could be found from expressimo, my bad.

I guess you can damage a record with anything if you don't set it up right.

Still, I would get one just to get the needle out of the groove if I fall asleep, if they were available, though not for $100. I'll keep an eye on ebay.

Walterwalter

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jun 2008, 10:03 am »
Hi, I will offer soon such electornic devices made on order. Info will be available on the special web-site. I'm working on two models now, both having light operated sensors. Old AT and other mechanically operated lifters are cool, however I think that mechanically operated things with their mechanical triggers do not fully comply with Hi-End creteria. I will offer things with no any additional efforts on slylus, and with no effect on the sonic performance...

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #36 on: 3 Jun 2008, 02:04 pm »
Hi, I will offer soon such electornic devices made on order. Info will be available on the special web-site. I'm working on two models now, both having light operated sensors. Old AT and other mechanically operated lifters are cool, however I think that mechanically operated things with their mechanical triggers do not fully comply with Hi-End creteria. I will offer things with no any additional efforts on slylus, and with no effect on the sonic performance...
i think it's great that you are offering this.  hopefully, it will be at a reasonable cost - it's too bad no one is making anything like this now.   :thumb:  but - it is 100% incorrect that the devices i use - which are 100% effective, & offer zero negative impact on stylus & sonic performance - do not fully comply with hi-end criteria.

doug s.

Walterwalter

« Reply #37 on: 5 Jul 2008, 10:10 am »
Hi, Doug. Actually I've never used mechanical lifters, so I assume they may work OK too. Now I'm working on kind of my own mini web-site, offering my devices. Price will be reasonable and 3 months money back policy offered. As soon as it will be ready,I will put info here.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #38 on: 6 Jul 2008, 04:48 pm »
Hi, Doug. Actually I've never used mechanical lifters, so I assume they may work OK too. Now I'm working on kind of my own mini web-site, offering my devices. Price will be reasonable and 3 months money back policy offered. As soon as it will be ready,I will put info here.
if you can offer these for <$100, & they are (relatively) fool proof, i suspect you will sell quite a few.  looking forward to seeing the website!  :thumb:

best,

doug s.

Walterwalter

« Reply #39 on: 21 Jul 2008, 02:24 pm »
Hi everybody, here is my upgrade story with lot of pictures and video. See link to:  http://www.classicaudio.ru/static.php?type=articles_upgradett_en