Interested in Genelec 8351

tdogzthmn

Interested in Genelec 8351
« on: 4 Feb 2018, 04:57 pm »
I've never owned a pair of Genelecs but I'm very interested in trying these coaxial speakers to see how they compare to my Mackie HR824mk2 speakers.

Anyone else have the 8351 or their smaller variants?

zoom25

Re: Interested in Genelec 8351
« Reply #1 on: 4 Feb 2018, 05:40 pm »
I have the HR 824 Mk1's. I also use Amphion One15, which are a noticeable step up from the Mackies.

Have you considered other monitors from ATC, PSI, or Amphion (passive). All of them are in the same league but with different flavours. Amphion sells matching amp and cables, so it's like getting an active, but out of the box.

Gearslutz has a lot of feedback on the 8351 and comparisons against these monitors. You probably want to read them all as the results can vary, but I think you'll find the general trend at the end.

From what I hear, the 8351 is a step up from their traditional 80X0 series. After my research, for me it had come down to ATC SCM20 ASL Pro Mk2 and Amphion.

How big is your room? Are you planning to just listen or do work on these? What does your listening triangle look like?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2018, 02:26 pm »
Have never been a Mackie fan.  OTOH Genelec is noted for having a forward, no prisoners taken sound that is great for a production studio but could fatigue.  Overall Genelec as a company offers monitors that most would consider a big step up from Mackie and the 8351's are another step up being a 3-way (which is should for the money).  Here's a review from soundonsound (a professional site which I like):  https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8351a

Other step ups for active monitors would be Dynaudio Lyd 8 (I own the BM5 MkIII, the previous model), Pioneer RM-7 (coaxial), APS coax, Munro Sonic Egg 150 (a unique design), PreSonus Sceptre S8 (coaxial), Equator Audio D8 (coaxial), Neuman KH310A (very good 3-way midfield monitor), ATC SCM25A (another very good 3-way midfield monitor), and Event 2030 (affordable 3-way).

Note that adding a power amp, even matching amp/cable, does not make a passive speaker 'like getting an active'.  Not to say the Amphion speakers aren't good.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2018, 11:38 pm »
The Genlec's were very good sounding speakers and had an impressive low end for their size.  I ran them through my minidsp unit and later tried using the Genlec GLM to calibrate them to my room.  I had them in my system for 5 days before giving them back to the dealer.  Going back to the Mackies I was surprised by how close they were in performance to the Genelec monitors. 

I'm only using the speakers for music listening and they are spaced around 12' apart and pointed at my couch which is sound 8' or 10' away on the opposite side of them room. 

For now I'm more than happy to continue using the Mackies for music listening!