Regen device vs. Micro Rendu ?

Waynefi

Regen device vs. Micro Rendu ?
« on: 24 Jan 2018, 06:23 am »
Hello,

Assuming for now I want to keep my PC, only used for music, and want a quick way to improve performance, what would be the device to add on, some type of USB regen device or a MicroRendu  ?

Thanks,

Wayne

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Regen device vs. Micro Rendu ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:20 pm »
Hi Wayne,

Will you be streaming, using stored music on a HD or using a CD player with digital out?

The Regen can improve sound with many DAC's but sometimes it does not. I use one and love it.  The AudioQuest jitterbug can also improve sound.  The 2 can even be used together.

Investing in a good USB cable can make a big difference.  USB cables are also system dependent.

Eliminating a USB cable altogether by using Ethernet can improve sound.

If you are using a desk top computer, replacing the power supply with a low ripple power supply like a Corsair RMX series can clean up the sound and give a blacker background.

I just built a dedicated audio desktop to replace my dedicated audio laptop.  I used a Corsair RMX PS with extremely low ripple and a higher end Motherboard.  The improvement in sound was fairly dramatic.

Computer music players such as HQ player and Roon can improve sound over programs like JRiver.

I can't help you with the Micro Rendu as I have no experience with it.

left channel

• Everyone wants to date my avatar
Re: Regen device vs. Micro Rendu ?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:29 pm »
I have a USB REGEN on one DAC and an ultraRendu on another.  I like them both, but the REGEN devices are plug-and-play/forget, while the 'Rendus are little computers with their own personalities and IMHO not worth the trouble unless you are setting up remote servers and players. Also in my experience you may get more improvement in sound quality by upgrading the power supply to your DAC and other equipment, if you haven't done so already.