Anyone here heard the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home?

dB Cooper

Anyone here heard the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home?
« on: 14 Nov 2017, 04:00 pm »
Heard the 'Amiron Home' at the Capital Audiofestshow and was quite impressed. Played 'Take Five' from 'Time Out' (a recording I'm quite familiar with) and was ready to buy (especially at the show demo price) but talked myself out of it, having regretted impulse purchases before. Also, the sound signature is definitely different from my HD650's so I was wary of the 'different is better' trap. But I was wondering if anyone here heard them at the show (or elsewhere) and had any reactions.

I thought they were very revealing without being harsh (the other Tesla models have had varying degrees of 'zing' in the highs in my experience) and actually preferred them to the more expensive and much heavier Focal Elear, maybe not what you'd go to for your Spotify listening but will pay off with good recordings. Welcome thoughts from anyone who has heard (or owns) these.

weatherman1

Re: Anyone here heard the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2017, 06:34 am »
Listened to the Amiron at RMAF and liked the rich, full mids and bottom end which to me seemed more detailed than my T90's but I missed those quick, scintillating high's.  Beyer has re-engineered the pads and material to reduce the higher frequencies that many found irritating in the T90.  I own the HD650's and have enjoyed the balance and neutral sound for classical but that's a personal like.  Over the years of collecting and listening the other important factor with a great many can's is the amp it's plugged into.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2017, 02:18 am »
Over the years of collecting and listening the other important factor with a great many can's is the amp it's plugged into.
Especially, it seems, with high impedance cans (the Amirons are 250 0hms).

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2017, 02:37 am »
I haven't heard the Amiron, but I had the DT1770 for a year, which I expect is similar.  Very good technically, but not interesting for music listening.  I don't even have an explanation for that.

One review summarized the different presentations of the various 'Tesla' models but I couldn't find it again just now. ' What HiFi' posted a very positive review of the Amiron.

My impression was of a more 'forward' sounding signature than my venerable 650s. The 650 is the headphone everyone loves to hate because of the infamous 'veil' but the highs are smooth as butter. The highs in the Amiron were (for me) more 'present' and resolving but without the 'etched' quality I find in the highs of many headphones (including most of the Beyers and AKGs I have heard, in varying degrees), which turns into fatigue in short order. I wish I had bought them for the $400 show-sample price; I'm pretty sure they would have been easy to 'flip' if I got buyers' remorse.

Here is a Head-Fi review (FWIW) thread with a fair number of readers putting in their 2 cents about the relative qualities of the 1990 and Amiron.

Think I will see what Beyer has going on for Blecch Friday.