Has Digital surpassed CD sound yet?

Early B.

Re: Has Digital surpassed CD sound yet?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Oct 2017, 08:26 pm »
After taking everyne's comments under consideration, sounds like I'd be better off just sticking with my transport until it dies. Then I can re-evaluate my options. The main reason is that I'd have to seel my transport in order to purchase a digital front end, and I don't want to roll the dice.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 11 Oct 2017, 08:33 pm »
After taking everyne's comments under consideration, sounds like I'd be better off just sticking with my transport until it dies. Then I can re-evaluate my options. The main reason is that I'd have to seel my transport in order to purchase a digital front end, and I don't want to roll the dice.

Do you have an old computer or laptop laying around?  If so you can try it out for yourself on the cheap.  Just download Jriver onto your old computer and get a decent DAC with USB input for a 30 day trial.  Then you can hear, definitively, in your own system, if PC audio is the way to go for you. 

jseymour

« Reply #22 on: 11 Oct 2017, 08:39 pm »
If you go the PC route, I strongly recommend the use of a Schiit Eitr (USB to SPDIF), providing the DAC you choose has SPDIF.  Small investment ($179.00) that provides a big return.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 11 Oct 2017, 09:03 pm »
Agree with Tyson.  Even an old Netbook running Windows 7 or Windows 10 will sound really good if you optimize JRiver. 

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2017, 09:53 pm »
Do you have an old computer or laptop laying around?  If so you can try it out for yourself on the cheap.  Just download Jriver onto your old computer and get a decent DAC with USB input for a 30 day trial.  Then you can hear, definitively, in your own system, if PC audio is the way to go for you.

OK, I'll give it a try.

*Scotty*

« Reply #25 on: 11 Oct 2017, 10:53 pm »
If you have questions about setup on jRiver you can ask for help here or look in the FAQ section on the jRiver forum.
Scotty

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2017, 12:18 am »
If you go the PC route, I strongly recommend the use of a Schiit Eitr (USB to SPDIF), providing the DAC you choose has SPDIF.  Small investment ($179.00) that provides a big return.

What exactly does this do and what is the big return?

charmerci

« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2017, 12:37 am »
Agree with Tyson.  Even an old Netbook running Windows 7 or Windows 10 will sound really good if you optimize JRiver.

I did notice a big difference in sound between my two laptops - a 2010 Dell with Windows 7 and a 2015 Asus with W10 (better) - same JRiver software.

For free software, https://www.dbpoweramp.com/ to  download and playback (no sound difference compared to JRiver) http://www.foobar2000.org/

JDUBS

« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2017, 12:47 am »
What exactly does this do and what is the big return?

Its function is literally in what you quoted:

"USB to SPDIF"

-Jim

*Scotty*

« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2017, 01:02 am »
The OPs DAC appears to have a USB input saving him the cost of a USB to SPDIF converter.
Scotty

srb

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2017, 01:59 am »
The OPs DAC appears to have a USB input saving him the cost of a USB to SPDIF converter.

It seems that jseymour might be implying that the Schiit EITR interface would improve on the DAC's built-in USB input (?), and while that is certainly possible with some DACs, in the case of the Audio GD SA-2 I would tend to doubt that.

jseymour

« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2017, 02:09 am »
I do not know the Audio GD SA-2, but what I have heard using the Schiit Eitr has me recommending it to anyone using a USB output from their PC.  It is far superior to the Yellowtec PUC2 lite it replaced at less than half the price.  True isolation, data and power, between the PC and DAC.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2017, 03:38 am »

I did notice a big difference in sound between my two laptops - a 2010 Dell with Windows 7 and a 2015 Asus with W10 (better) - same JRiver software.

For free software, https://www.dbpoweramp.com/ to  download and playback (no sound difference compared to JRiver) http://www.foobar2000.org/

I run Foobar2000 on my PC with great results.  Others like JRiver.  Just depends on the interface you like.  Foobar2000 is free.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: 12 Oct 2017, 02:54 pm »
Probably a good decision.  Servers aren't a necessity for everyone.  The technology is changing at lightning speed and the hottest thing today is obsolete by next week and therefore valueless and/or no longer supported.  If you have friends with servers, spend time fooling around with them to see how you feel about the set up and control, as well as the sound quality. I'll be surprised if network attached DACs and integrated equipment don't become the norm.

Nick77

« Reply #34 on: 12 Oct 2017, 03:27 pm »
I dont think there is any question playing digital with an optimised CAPS computer with high end USB card running HQ player and quality DAC will kill any redbook player. Using HQ player and upsampling your files to 352 PCM or DSD raises this to even higher level, but it is a HUGE rabbit hole. :)

I agree, better to play your redbook machine into the ground. Im not to sure a basic laptop will better your CD player but certainly don't judge that as the end.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #35 on: 12 Oct 2017, 04:04 pm »
Depends on what you use. If one is interested in state of the art redbook as opposed to computer audio there are some options. Budget is certainly a major consideration.
Lets put budget aside for  the moment. May I suggest a modular design that never goes out of date. As new discoveries are made one only needs to obtain a new module. Yes at a cost but ya still have your original investment covered. I use an AQUA Formula DAC and Aqua Vida dedicated transport. Also have an Innuos Zenith mk2 music server. I use the I2s connection between DAC and transport over SPDIF. For Music server USB.
To date no computer generated music has yet to surpass the Trans/DAC combo. I am willing to try any computer to get more music. If your in NY area bring your best computer over and we can have some fun comparing. If this happens I will post results.

charles

« Reply #36 on: 12 Oct 2017, 04:07 pm »
I know this thread is about comparative sound quality, but for me as a classical and jazz enthusiast the quality of my audio experience is inhanced by those little booklets included with physical CDs. It's usually no big deal when listening to popular music, but with classical in particular I love reading about the works I'm listening to, and for me there's no substitute for a physical booklet as opposed to reading the same thing on a screen. I'm probably a dinosaur for preferring physical booklets, but then I'm 60 years old and I tend to be a dinosaur in general!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #37 on: 12 Oct 2017, 05:35 pm »
I know this thread is about comparative sound quality, but for me as a classical and jazz enthusiast the quality of my audio experience is inhanced by those little booklets included with physical CDs. It's usually no big deal when listening to popular music, but with classical in particular I love reading about the works I'm listening to, and for me there's no substitute for a physical booklet as opposed to reading the same thing on a screen. I'm probably a dinosaur for preferring physical booklets, but then I'm 60 years old and I tend to be a dinosaur in general!
No, us dinosaurs play vinyl because the notes are in larger print!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 12 Oct 2017, 05:43 pm »

Dang it, beat me to the punch!  Haha.

I will say this - if you have an iPad, then using Roon is perhaps the next best thing to large vinyl books/jackets. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 12 Oct 2017, 05:54 pm »

:lol: And yet some of us still need a magnifying glass.