More Amazing DACs for Peanuts

Chein

Re: More Amazing DACs for Peanuts
« Reply #300 on: 25 Apr 2018, 12:29 am »
Investing in the cleanest power supply you can manage outweighs the value of the dac. This Lipo4(?)/LT3045 battery option showed up recently. I don't see the iPower competing with it, especially for the cost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LT3045-Battery-Regulated-Power-Supply-5V/273135946356?hash=item3f982bca74:g:vFIAAOSweq5av1nP

If you have the skills and want to really take your dac to a new level, replace the iPower with not one, but *two* LT3045 low noise regulators in series. I have a 6v board that feeds a 5v board. I can't overstate the impact. Floored me.

Thank you man for the suggestion, looks like a great device. And at such a low price point compared to all those expensive LPS  :)
I'm sure you are right. I might try if someday I feel like I don't have enough with what I already have. The quest for better audio never ends  :lol:

About the NX4DSD, did you guys find direct comparisons with the DA3?
I don't feel like the DA3 sounds bright/harsh but rather neutral/transparent, which is what I prefer for all-purpose use.
The only "thing" -it's not even a comparison- I could ever find is that one guy on another site saying :
"DA3 has a very clean output, much cleaner than Idea. As a standalone DAC/amp, it's a better fit for Pro 82 than HA-2, Idea or NX4 DSD."
So yeah... I saw someone saying on Amazon it's better than the DA2 for him, but I've never seen a comparison with the DA3.

:(

restrav

« Reply #301 on: 25 Apr 2018, 12:29 am »
Looks like they put it on the slowest boat they could find  :lol: Anyway I'll update when it arrives.

Duo you have the da3 to compare it with?

karnana

« Reply #302 on: 25 Apr 2018, 12:34 am »
You mean powered externally from like an idefender? What is the power source? You need at least 5.5v source to the LT to get 5v out to a dac.

Oh dang. I wanted to get away just with the usb power  :lol: I use sabaj da3 and Scarlett solo

JohnR

« Reply #303 on: 25 Apr 2018, 03:40 am »
Duo you have the da3 to compare it with?

No (?)

The NX4 should work with my iphone but I don't think the DA3 will (current).

restrav

« Reply #304 on: 25 Apr 2018, 09:36 pm »
this is the weirdest one i have seen so far. i mean i know for sure, that USB decoder chip can not support hi rez

eBay link
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2018, 09:45 am by ServerAdmin »

JDUBS

« Reply #305 on: 26 Apr 2018, 04:07 am »
No (?)

The NX4 should work with my iphone but I don't think the DA3 will (current).

The DA3 works with the iPhone.  I'm using that combo now.

Need the camera kit, tho.

-Jim

JohnR

« Reply #306 on: 26 Apr 2018, 07:43 am »
Oh! I wonder... well, I better look into that closer, but I guess I don't need more than one new DAC/amp :lol: The NX4 DSD will need the CCK too but it will mostly be used at home or in the car. (Unless I don't like it, of course.)

JohnR

« Reply #307 on: 26 Apr 2018, 07:44 am »
this is the weirdest one i have seen so far. i mean i know for sure, that USB decoder chip can not support hi rez

The TDA1543 is a 16-bit chip  :scratch:

JohnR

« Reply #308 on: 27 Apr 2018, 09:43 am »
It's here!

Initial impressions on the sound connected to a computer are very positive. However I can't get it to work with my iphone or ipad  :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

That's with the USB3 CCK, I need to try and find my USB2 CCK and try that.
My bad, it works just fine - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157283.msg1683835#msg1683835

Otherwise, I guess I'll try a RPi.

PS Dadbeh I'm going to edit that link to fix the page layout.. ;)
« Last Edit: 3 May 2018, 05:24 am by JohnR »

Alaundo

« Reply #309 on: 27 Apr 2018, 04:36 pm »
I just figured out that Da3 has output impedance 10 Ohm (da2 - 0,4 Ohm). Is this true? Does it mean that Da3 not so good for low impedance headphones?

meringo

« Reply #310 on: 29 Apr 2018, 03:35 pm »
I decided to pick up a DA3 for my desktop setup (HD6XX.) Obviously, the DA3 is a bit underpowered for them -- what's the best way to use this as a DAC running into an amp? Full volume, or drop it a bit? This doesn't seem to put out a lot of power, so I'm thinking max volume is the best to simulate an aux out type of thing.

Thoughts?

wushuliu

« Reply #311 on: 1 May 2018, 01:07 am »

The SA9227 does support hi res. It's what's in my Hifime. However the TDA does not. So it's a very misleading listing.

wushuliu

« Reply #312 on: 1 May 2018, 01:10 am »
I decided to pick up a DA3 for my desktop setup (HD6XX.) Obviously, the DA3 is a bit underpowered for them -- what's the best way to use this as a DAC running into an amp? Full volume, or drop it a bit? This doesn't seem to put out a lot of power, so I'm thinking max volume is the best to simulate an aux out type of thing.

Thoughts?

For SennHDs I would recommend getting an external amp as well. The DA3 can drive your phones, but they won't sound their best.

meringo

« Reply #313 on: 1 May 2018, 10:34 pm »
For SennHDs I would recommend getting an external amp as well. The DA3 can drive your phones, but they won't sound their best.

Oh, I've got it plugged into an Aune X7S (magical) but am wondering if I should set the DA3 to max volume (currently doing so, without noticeable degradation)

wushuliu

« Reply #314 on: 2 May 2018, 06:18 am »
Oh, I've got it plugged into an Aune X7S (magical) but am wondering if I should set the DA3 to max volume (currently doing so, without noticeable degradation)

The volume is controlled digitally by the dac so whatever setting works best for you should be fine.

Kain

« Reply #315 on: 7 May 2018, 06:52 pm »
Hey guys , help me please

i wanna buy sabaj da 3 or smsl iq for using it with

oneplus5t + sony xba n1ap only

which one should i use ? cuz idk about android working good with thoses and my hp

karnana

« Reply #316 on: 10 May 2018, 08:54 am »
Hey guys , help me please

i wanna buy sabaj da 3 or smsl iq for using it with

oneplus5t + sony xba n1ap only

which one should i use ? cuz idk about android working good with thoses and my hp

Sabaj da 3 works fine but drinks battery. Go for smsl iq. Also buy an isilencer  :)

ohenry

« Reply #317 on: 10 May 2018, 09:48 pm »
I recently received a Topping D10 USB dac from Massdrop.  Also, I bought a DH Labs USB interconnect and run it on a simple Chromebook with Tidal hifi.  Initially, I was on the fence, but after 25 hours, things are getting better.  It is a bit better than the Chromecast audio I was using, although going wireless is nice.  The D10 seems to image better, can play hi-res files (haven't tried yet), and the frequency response seems extended over the Chromecast.  It has become noticeably smoother in the highs and is a great buy for $75.  I'd love to try the D50, but this will be okay in a second system for now.  Another cool thing is with Chromebook, it was plug and play.  No driver download needed.

So, if you want a USB dac on a budget, this one is good.  And, you can switch out the opamp if you want to play with it.

Kain

« Reply #318 on: 11 May 2018, 09:28 am »
Sabaj da 3 works fine but drinks battery. Go for smsl iq. Also buy an isilencer  :)

thanks ) got smsl iq on aliexpress , ill tell how itl go when itl comes

shadowlight

« Reply #319 on: 27 May 2018, 10:24 pm »
Has anyone modified the Sabaj Da3?  If yes, what were the modification and how did the sound change?  Is there a way to disable the filter?  I want to try the DAC with HQPlayer and would like to disable the filter on the DAC and leverage the HQP filters.