Introduction

frenchbat

Introduction
« on: 19 Aug 2017, 02:34 pm »
Revolver doors flap. The new guy enters the bar, and orders a beer

Hi guys. Do you know where I can get good info on monitoring speakers around here ? My friend Armaegis told me it could be the right place for that.

New guy chooses a stool and starts drinking his beer.

I'll be over there if you're looking for me.  :D

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2017, 04:36 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, frenchbat.  :beer:

Be sure to check out the Enclosures Circle.

frenchbat

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2017, 04:41 pm »
Thanks. I sure will do.  :beer:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2017, 07:43 pm »
Welcome!

frenchbat

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2017, 07:46 pm »
Thanks Phil

srb

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2017, 07:53 pm »
Do you know where I can get good info on monitoring speakers around here ?

When you say "monitoring speakers" are you talking about nearfield recording monitors for desktop or mixing console shelf applications?

If you're talking about "monitor", "bookshelf" or "stand mount" speakers for stereo or HT use in the home, you'll have to give some more specifics including budget, placement, room size, listening volume, whether a subwoofer will also be used, etc.

Steve

frenchbat

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2017, 12:25 pm »
When you say "monitoring speakers" are you talking about nearfield recording monitors for desktop or mixing console shelf applications?

If you're talking about "monitor", "bookshelf" or "stand mount" speakers for stereo or HT use in the home, you'll have to give some more specifics including budget, placement, room size, listening volume, whether a subwoofer will also be used, etc.

Steve

Hi Steve, I indeed meant nearfield monitors. For now I'll rather try to make myself an opinion by reading the available info here. I'm in the middle of building my house, and it's still a bit early to plan I think.

I've been a headphone guy for a long time, and it's still my main stay for now. But thanks for offering help I'll be sure to remember that in due time.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2017, 12:38 pm »
Check out audio stream.com for reviews of active/powered desktop (home use) monitors.  Just add a DAC/preamp to your source(s).  That's describes my secondary in-room system (MacBook, DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core, Dynaudio BM5 Mk III).  Note that the Dynaudio's are the professional step up (now discontinued) model from audiostream's most highly recommended Dynaudio X14A and that I scored them for 40% of the X14A's MSRP.

An excellent site for reviews of active monitors is sound-on-sound.com, but it's aimed towards studio workers.

frenchbat

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2017, 07:42 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions JLM. Dynaudio are definitely part of the usual suspects when it comes to nearfield, as well as JBL, Genelec, Harbeth, an so on.

ATM I'm running an Yggy with a custom Tribute autoformer preamp, and a benchmark AHB2 amp, so I'm pretty much set on that side. Budget-wise is still fuzzy, but I prefer to start looking, just in case I can find a good deal in the meantime.