Lost City of Zzzzzzzzzzz

IonMoon

• The pause is as important as the note
Lost City of Zzzzzzzzzzz
« on: 10 Aug 2017, 02:18 pm »
I saw this last night. I was familiar with the story and recently read the book, so I was excited for the movie. What a disappointment. I did not fall asleep, but I wanted to.

I just don't understand why they took a story about a man so obsessed with the insane idea of finding a thriving city hidden in the Amazon that he abandoned his family and ultimately dragged his son & son's friend to their deaths- and cleaned it up into- I don't even know what. They make him look like some reluctant hero- a champion for women and natives and a visionary.

The trips didn't look nearly as gruesome as they were. I have had car camping trips that were nearly as bad. The director didn't capture the depth of Fawcett's pathological obsession or his fantastical theories or his ruthless drive.

And I am amazed at the great reviews it has gotten. Maybe if I had not read the book or known anything about Fawcett I could have seen what others saw. To me, this movie was like white chocolate- which is basically chocolate with all the chocolate taken out. Some people like the over-sweet, bland mess that is left, but it is not for me.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Lost City of Zzzzzzzzzzz
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2017, 04:10 pm »
Yep, read the book and found it interesting.  Turned off the movie after 30-40 minutes and sent it back. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2017, 04:18 pm »
I don't get the obsession beyond the culture at the time. Seems tragic and pointless, about the same as "white chocolate"  :lol:

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2017, 04:39 pm »
I am not sure which book you have read. The book assembled by his son and published in 1953 might be an authoritative account of his career and explorations in South America. This narrative was compiled by his son from the records his father left behind including manuscripts, letters,logbooks,and private papers. This is the story of what led up to his final expedition in his own words, the title is "Exploration Fawcett:Journey to the Lost City of Z"  by Lt.Col.P.H.Fawcett
A link to Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Exploration-Fawcett-Journey-Lost-City/dp/1590204301/ref=pd_sbs_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5AF36FX6PNC7QPAE18CZ
Scotty

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2017, 05:49 pm »
By David Grann published 2009.  It is not flattering to the explorer Fawcett. 

IonMoon

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2017, 09:30 pm »
The book The Lost City of Z by David Grann, on which the film is "based".

I have also read various articles over the years. I don't recall having read Brian Fawcett's book, but I would love to. My local library system doesn't seem to have it.

I am not sure which book you have read. The book assembled by his son and published in 1953 might be an authoritative account of his career and explorations in South America. This narrative was compiled by his son from the records his father left behind including manuscripts, letters,logbooks,and private papers. This is the story of what led up to his final expedition in his own words, the title is "Exploration Fawcett:Journey to the Lost City of Z"  by Lt.Col.P.H.Fawcett
A link to Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Exploration-Fawcett-Journey-Lost-City/dp/1590204301/ref=pd_sbs_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5AF36FX6PNC7QPAE18CZ
Scotty

IonMoon

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2017, 09:31 pm »
By David Grann published 2009.  It is not flattering to the explorer Fawcett.

Compared to what some journalists have said about him, I would say the book was very flattering.