Ultra Sonic Cleaning fluids

SteveRB

Ultra Sonic Cleaning fluids
« on: 27 Jul 2017, 10:28 pm »
Can we have an evidenced based discussion on cleaning fluids for ultra sonic machines?

My friends and I have landed in the no fluid: only water -- the cavitation does the cleaning. This produces fantastic results for 95% of LPs.

BruceSB

Re: Ultra Sonic Cleaning fluids
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2017, 10:43 pm »
Hope we get a lot of good responses.
I am really interested in this one.
Bruce

kgturner

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2017, 10:50 pm »
I had previously used the same DIY fluid that I use on my VPI in my ultra sonic cleaner. Now I just use distilled water and a few drops of Kodak Photo-Flo. I'm not certain the Photo-Flo is needed, but I have plenty and it seems to shed water from the record better.

Kevin T

EDIT:

Just noticed this was my 666th post!

SteveRB

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2017, 10:51 pm »
Obviously, lets assume we are all starting with clean (filtered, distilled) water.

I see industrial USC process that use solvents and fluids to break down heavy greases. But I have also discussed this with a high end science lab tech whose protocol is water only in their control experiments.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2017, 10:59 pm »
Evidenced based discussion???  :lol: :lol:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Having said that, I still use a bit of alcohol... usually Zinfandel, but sometimes a nice Rioja.   :wine:
I use a bit of Triton X (because I have it) and a cup of isopropanol w/ 5L of H2O because it's cheap  and adds a bit of solvation for any grease in finger prints.  It also has a mild fungicide ability.  Although, if I can detect any black mold, I spray Lysol and leave it for 5 minutes before cleaning. 

SteveRB

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2017, 11:06 pm »
Evidenced based discussion???  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...experienced based?!