Evaluating the HDMI upgrade paths for SP-3

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Evaluating the HDMI upgrade paths for SP-3
« on: 20 Jul 2017, 05:33 pm »
Hi Folks,

We have already upgraded production SP3 with new high res USBX 192/24 with DSD 1x,2x.

We are now evaluating the HDMI upgrade paths. Due to certain restriction inherent in the new HDMI board replacement used by the SP3, Bryston production is facing the following choices.

Which would be your preferred implementation:  1,  2 or 3?

1.  Upgrade SP3 using the new HSR72Q HDMI board and discontinue existing HSR82P HDMI board. 

Advantages:
a) implements HDCP 2.2 copy prevention standard on all 7 inputs (and one output).
b) support all 4K video modes as per HDMI 2.0 standard (600MHz clock)
c) supports High Dynamic Range video (HDR)

Disadvantages
A) no DSD via HDMI
B) 7 inputs rather than 8.

2.  Do not upgrade SP3 with new HDMI, use existing HSR82P HDMI board as is. 

Advantages:
a) capable of playing native DSD 1x through HDMI
b) has 8 inputs (rather than 7)

Disadvantages
A) implements HDCP 2.2 on only 1 input (and one output).
B) supports only the most common 4K video modes but not all, a subset of HDMI 2.0 standard (300MHz clock).
C) does not support HDR

3.  Upgrade SP3 using the new HSR72Q HDMI board but keep existing HSR82P HDMI board in production as a special customer-selectable option .

Advantages:
a) combines advantages of scheme 1 and 2 albeit not in the same unit, a customer has to select between HSR72Q with full video features versus less video capability but DSD over HDMI made possible.

Disadvantages
A) Higher production costs which translates into higher cost for customers.

BrystonFan

Re: Evaluating the HDMI upgrade paths for SP-3
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2017, 08:08 pm »
Hi James,

For me personally, I'm looking to upgrade the video section of my SP3 to it's fullest.
Option #1
DSD via HDMI is not a priority
 :thumb:

scottsol

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2017, 08:56 pm »
#2 is definitely a no go, no matter anybody says. In real life, as compared to this board, the Hdmi video capability is far more important than the audio. At the same time, for anyone who needs more than 7 inputs there is a good chance 8 won't be enough either so I don't think that is a meaningful consideration.

The choice between #1 and #3 certainly depends on the amount of the potential price increase. A modified version, 3a, might be keeping a small number of old boards for (expensive?) custom versions while the new board would be in the standard model.

gbaby

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2017, 09:15 pm »
I like option 1. If one owns the BDA-3, which I encourage, there is no need to play DSD through HDMI on the SP3.

Alpha10

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2017, 01:29 pm »
Option 1 for me, as soon as possible  :D I have been even contemplating down grading to a cheap and cheerful new AV amp just to get the 4k switching done which would break my heart as I love the SP3 sound, but the lack of 4k support is becoming a big issue for me.

James if Option one is chosen when do you think it might happen and be available in the UK?

Two 4k (2.2) outputs would have been better  :oops:

Cheers

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2017, 10:32 am »
I'm an "option 1" person also. If I can't get HDCP 2.2 on all inputs, it isn't worth it. In fact, to keep my SP3 relevant, I really need HDCP 2.2.

While Dolby Atmos et. al. may feel unnecessary or too much work for some, there's no denying the advantages of HDR. I'm not even convinced 4k is a big deal, but HDR was a no-brainer.

I don't see the loss of DSD via HDMI as a big deal. I think the BDA-3 is a more capable DAC for music, and that would be my choice if I was concerned with DSD via HDMI.

So, if I can get my SP3 to pass through a HDR video signal and still process the audio, I'll be one VERY happy camper! Been waiting a LONG time for this upgrade!

- Garrett

sdolezalek

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2017, 02:37 pm »
Add me as another vote for Option 1.  Maximize HDMI for its video properties.  HDMI is, to my view, too noisy a solution for highest quality audio, or at least inferior to the best USB or Ethernet implementations.  The ability to play DSD files from a NAS or a separate DAC (i.e. BDA-3) matters, but would presumably use either the stereo XLR or the 5.1 analog outputs for that.

gdbalp

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2017, 11:59 pm »
Hi Folks,

We have already upgraded production SP3 with new high res USBX 192/24 with DSD 1x,2x.

We are now evaluating the HDMI upgrade paths. Due to certain restriction inherent in the new HDMI board replacement used by the SP3, Bryston production is facing the following choices.

Which would be your preferred implementation:  1,  2 or 3?

1.  Upgrade SP3 using the new HSR72Q HDMI board and discontinue existing HSR82P HDMI board. 

Advantages:
a) implements HDCP 2.2 copy prevention standard on all 7 inputs (and one output).
b) support all 4K video modes as per HDMI 2.0 standard (600MHz clock)
c) supports High Dynamic Range video (HDR)

Disadvantages
A) no DSD via HDMI
B) 7 inputs rather than 8.

2.  Do not upgrade SP3 with new HDMI, use existing HSR82P HDMI board as is. 

Advantages:
a) capable of playing native DSD 1x through HDMI
b) has 8 inputs (rather than 7)

Disadvantages
A) implements HDCP 2.2 on only 1 input (and one output).
B) supports only the most common 4K video modes but not all, a subset of HDMI 2.0 standard (300MHz clock).
C) does not support HDR

3.  Upgrade SP3 using the new HSR72Q HDMI board but keep existing HSR82P HDMI board in production as a special customer-selectable option .

Advantages:
a) combines advantages of scheme 1 and 2 albeit not in the same unit, a customer has to select between HSR72Q with full video features versus less video capability but DSD over HDMI made possible.

Disadvantages
A) Higher production costs which translates into higher cost for customers.

Well, I will response with a question.  Isn't there a HDMI board that will do both the High resolution Audio and the high resolution video?  At this level of a surround sound processor, I would expect the best of both worlds for Audio/Video....  This should be a must for future developments like the SP4...

Luigi

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2017, 06:02 pm »
Depends on the compatible HDMI boards that are manufactured. I'd guess Bryston might be able to find boards that do what you're suggesting, but they won't be compatible with the existing SP3 hardware.

stanb

« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2017, 06:07 pm »
Luigi wrote: Well, I will response with a question.  Isn't there a HDMI board that will do both the High resolution Audio and the high resolution video?  At this level of a surround sound processor, I would expect the best of both worlds for Audio/Video....  This should be a must for future developments like the SP4...

Hi Luigi,

All HDMI boards mentioned above:   HSR8-3D (old), HSR82P (current) and HSR72Q (future) can play high resolution multichannel and 2ch audio but they differ in a degree of support for the high resolution video modes, and the degree of support for the latest viewing-prevention scheme HDCP2.2 .  For example, all HDMI boards including the oldest one will play lossless audio formats such as Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio (at the highest rate of 192000 samples/second, and 24bits). 

In addition, HSR82P is the only HDMI board that will support playing DSD 1X audio format.  Though attractive, DSD is not the highest resolution audio.  DSD 1X is supposed to be similar (but not the same of course) to PCM 16 bits  88200 samples/s (as far as know) .       

Stan B.  (Bryston)

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:26 am »
Any idea/time frame on when the HSR72Q might be offered? I won't hold you to it, just curious. I've been waiting for a while, and now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm a tad excited. :)

Alpha10

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2017, 09:28 am »
Any idea/time frame on when the HSR72Q might be offered? I won't hold you to it, just curious. I've been waiting for a while, and now that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm a tad excited. :)

Bump, any idea of times James?

Many thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2017, 10:23 am »
Hi

I have a new version of the SP3 at home this weekend with the new 2.2 HDMI board and the new USB high resolution board - all seems to work well.

We should have units available shortly.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2017, 12:02 pm »
^^^

Excellent, thank you.

Cheers

WillyP

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2017, 02:50 pm »
Hi James,

And what will be the price? Any changes to the current price of a SP3?

Kind regards,

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2017, 03:17 pm »
Hi James,

And what will be the price? Any changes to the current price of a SP3?

Kind regards,

Willy

Not that I am aware of.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2017, 06:19 pm »
Hi James,

Will the new HDMI upgrade require any other upgrades?

For example, Mike explained that the BDP-3 upgrade ($1500) would also require the IAD sound card upgrade ($500) as well, for a total of $2000 (if one does not already have the IAD).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2017, 06:37 pm »
Hi James,

Will the new HDMI upgrade require any other upgrades?

For example, Mike explained that the BDP-3 upgrade ($1500) would also require the IAD sound card upgrade ($500) as well, for a total of $2000 (if one does not already have the IAD).

Hi

The IAD card only applies to BDP upgrades.

james

WillyP

« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2017, 07:05 pm »
Hi James,

There is something I don't quite understand. At the moment there is a one-to-one correspondence between the first 8 inputs and the 8 HDMI inputs. What is going to happen when the new board has 7 HDMI inputs. Which one of the 8 inputs won't have a corresponding HDMI input anymore?

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2017, 07:33 pm »
Hi James,

There is something I don't quite understand. At the moment there is a one-to-one correspondence between the first 8 inputs and the 8 HDMI inputs. What is going to happen when the new board has 7 HDMI inputs. Which one of the 8 inputs won't have a corresponding HDMI input anymore?

Willy

Number 1 gets blocked and the software reassigns 1-7.  I will get Stan to explain it in more detail

james