Baby Driver

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Baby Driver
« on: 4 Jul 2017, 04:38 pm »
This one didn't disappoint!  Baby Driver is the story of a young man called Baby that works as a getaway driver for a criminal mastermind called Doc.  In a way it's Reservoir Dogs meets the Transporter.  In film noir fashion Baby needs to pull off one more job to cover his debts to Doc.  One more job and Baby is free...or is he?  The writing is great, the dialog crackles and the performances are great.  Jamie Foxx and John Hamm are extremely menacing and dangerous as members of Doc's crew.  Lily James is disarmingly charming as Baby's love interest, trying to get to him as he tries to keep her at arms length from the ugly world he lives in.

But the music really shares top billing as a main character!  One reviewer called it a musical disguised as an action movie and that tracks.  Lots of great tunes, skillfully and seamlessly mixed into the manic action scenes and over the top car chases.

Not perfect but maybe the best action film so far this summer.

Wind Chaser

Re: Baby Driver
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2017, 05:04 pm »
I might see this one today.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2017, 04:34 am »
Well, I couldn't disagree with Rob more.

This one did in fact disappoint. The story was weak, the dialogue was okay, but nothing to write home about. The music interfered more than anything else. This film had potential, but the writing was weak as was the character development and direction. Another 2 hours of my life I won't get back. 

In a word, 5 thumbs down, all the way down: :thumbdown:  :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2017, 11:56 am »
LOL!!! This reminds me of Gene Shallot. He reviewed the movie "Rocky". He couldn't have disliked a movie any more than he did "Rocky". I was sooo disappointed; my father and I were going to see "Rocky" that week. I was all of 12 years old, and dad and I both loved to watch pro heavy weight fights. It had to be horrible, right?  Gene Shallot said so!!! It's funny how many times I've seen something that I thought was so bad, only to have a friend tell me how great it was! (My dad and I both LOVED "Rocky", btw!!!)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm »
Hey that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. FWIW, I thought the Dark Knight sucked too, and yet almost everybody loved that film.

So what do I consider is a great film? Almost anything by Kubrick. Almost anything by the Coen brothers. A number of films by Sidney Lumet, like Dog Day afternoon, Prince of the City, the Verdict. Do you remember a film called the Usual Suspects? I could go on, but do you see a trend? IOW, there's quality, and then there's everything else. I'm too fucking old and discriminating to celebrate mediocrity.  :wink:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2017, 01:22 pm »
Jamie Foxx, aka. Eric Bishop, took my chemistry class years ago.  Talented, but not on my list of favorite students.   

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2017, 01:31 pm »
Baby Driver is a great summer movie. And original too. Remember when cool action films didn't involve super heroes or monsters or bloated fx?

The premise is clever and the performances top notch. It's almost too overwhelmed by the actors. Jamie Foxx almost steals the movie. Bernthal almost steals the movie in first ten minutes.

This movie is about music and driving. Dialogue is not the focus.

Also great to see more and more movies about characters with disabilities.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2017, 02:26 pm »
I wouldn't call it a great movie, but it was fun and entertaining.

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2017, 03:36 pm »
I wouldn't call it a great movie, but it was fun and entertaining.

Agreed. It's my least favorite Edgar Wright movie, but still more interesting than 90% of what's out there.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2017, 06:18 pm »
Really, really fun and entertaining. Read this:

How They Pulled Off the Perfectly Timed Stunts in ‘Baby Driver’
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/movies/baby-driver-stunts.html?hpw&rref=movies&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

simoon

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2017, 11:10 pm »
It was a bit shallow stories wise, but as far as an example of great movie making, it ticked all the check boxes.

I love the way the music was so integrated into the movie.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2017, 05:24 pm »
Yes, classic good summer movie.  Not trying to push any boundaries or redefine anything, but just doing the genre film very, very well.  Loved it.

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2017, 02:25 pm »
The wife and I both loved it! Very exciting. Great directing . All around fun action flick!!