Introducing... well, me. Howdy, 1st forum ever.

PitBullMikee

Introducing... well, me. Howdy, 1st forum ever.
« on: 28 Jun 2017, 09:22 pm »
Hello all. I've been an audiophile since my 20's, I suppose. 62 now. I love kicking back in the sweet spot and just disappearing into the music. It alters my conscious state, makes me high, literally. (no wine, etc., totally straight) Sometimes I even fall asleep with the music playing around 85 dB+ and about 95 dB peaks. My dog lays in my lap and falls asleep all the time. Always loved music. I use a meter to set the volume because it's easy to set it too high without realizing it. Played the trumpet in my younger years. I mostly listen to small jazz bands, Diana Krall, etc. Currently putting the last piece in the (my) ultimate stereo system that I can afford. Looking for "Real" sound. As a music lover and musician, I know what that sounds like to me. What I've put together so far has cost me only $24,500 (retail $31,700) and I only have a volume control/buffer or preamp to go. While that is a lot of money, you all know we can spend much, much more. I try to find the hidden gems and vendors who aren't of the philosophy of the typical high end vendor who charges exorbitant amounts for their product. This industry (well, that's a topic for another discussion). My current system, and final system of my life most likely, consists of Golden Ear Triton One Tower speakers although I may buy Sandy's new "Reference" model and relegate the One's to the home theater setup. Currently, they do double duty. I use a Playback Designs Merlot DAC and a Pass Labs XA30.8 stereo amp. I use Blue Jeans cables. My sources are an OPPO 103D player modified with Playback Designs OpBox optical interface board which feeds the DAC. The optical interface is good to quad DSD rates, although the OPPO isn't. Doesn't really matter. Most of my music is on CD's and the OpBox interface/Merlot DAC makes regular CD's sound amazing. Quite often I seem to enjoy live performances in my living room.  My preamp, which is on the chopping block is an Emotiva XSP-1, good but... Considering a Tortuga single input balanced LDR passive volume control. Should work great. Output impedance on the Merlot is 10 ohms and the input on the XA30.8 is 100k. May add a Tortuga tube buffer later if I like the volume control. Also considering a MicroZOTL MZ2-S for preamp. Not sure yet. Anyway, that's what I'm up to.  FYI, in case someone writes back. Please keep in mind that I am an owner/operator truck driver and cannot respond while driving, so any response from me won't be prompt most likely. So, hope this wasn't too boring. Hello again all.

Phil A

Re: Introducing... well, me. Howdy, 1st forum ever.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2017, 12:15 am »
Welcome to AC!

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2017, 12:19 am »
Welcome and drive safely.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2017, 12:20 am »
Welcome aboard.
There's something for everyone here and the knowledge of the membership is really quite something.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2017, 12:53 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC PitBull  :thumb:  Keep it between the white lines, and don't go over....well, whatever the posted limit is.  :wink:

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2017, 02:21 am »
Welcome to A.C. Pitbull.  You should book loads so you can attend the regional get togethers posted here.

From a former truck driver myself.

Alan

ssglx

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2017, 02:57 am »
Welcome Mikee!
I don't post alot, but I thought I'd chime in about the Tortuga passive preamp. I really love mine. Very analog sounding, but quite accurate too. Lights up my system, where other passives were rather flat.
You should most definitely give one a whirl...

Chris

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2017, 11:40 am »
Welcome to the forum :thumb:

What caught my eye is the fact you listen at 85db regularly. I'm also 62 and if I did that my ears would be ringing the next day. I envy your hearing.

bluemeanies

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2017, 01:12 pm »
First, welcome AC!
85db in my life is over and has been for some time. I am around 75db.
No matter really in this hobby as to how loud you listen to music or the equipment you own.
The most important factor is how YOU feel about your system, not Curly, Moe or Shemp!
Since you like jazz I highly recommend my latest hero
Bruce Forman.
Have fun!

PitBullMikee

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2017, 09:14 pm »
Thanks for your warm welcome, my fellow audio enthusiasts. I had intended to respond to each of you but I'm just too tired. Long day. Look forward to browsing around another day. Perhaps we will chat in another circle. 'Til then...

TrungT

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2017, 10:16 pm »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2017, 11:10 pm »
Welcone to AC, Mikee.  Sounds like you got good taste!