New AVA DVA 4/2 AMP

NIGHTFALL1970

New AVA DVA 4/2 AMP
« on: 10 Jun 2017, 08:15 pm »
I am the first owner of this amazing new amp! I have owned an AVA 400R amp for over six years.  I thought that I would own it for life.  I LOVE the 400R! It's the best amp I have ever owned.  THIS amp beats it.  It's built like a tank.  The sound is VERY clear and detailed.  The background is very quiet. Vocals are full and lifelike. Bass is tight, detailed and well controlled. The 700 watts make my Magnepan 1.7s sound a lot better. I think the extra power gives more control of the panels. I can't recommend this amp more highly! If you want to find out that your speakers are truly capable of, then this is the amp for you.

Hear are some awesome pix!

martyo

Re: New AVA DVA 4/2 AMP
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2017, 10:25 pm »
Nice, thanks, ENJOY!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2017, 11:58 pm »
Congrat's on the amp.  I believe it is similar to the DVA-700 that I reviewed except that the 700 is fully balanced and only 2ch.  Correct me if I am wrong Frank.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2017, 03:05 pm »
Congratulations, Nightfall!

I know how good the 400R sounds, so this must be awesome sounding if it beats the 400R. I imagine it's a bit on the heavy side as well, no?  :thumb:

I see there are four extra fuses beside the capacitors. That's a lot of extra protection.

Enjoy!

Michael

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2017, 10:47 pm »
Maybe one fuse for each channel?

Congratulations, Nightfall!

I know how good the 400R sounds, so this must be awesome sounding if it beats the 400R. I imagine it's a bit on the heavy side as well, no?  :thumb:

I see there are four extra fuses beside the capacitors. That's a lot of extra protection.

Enjoy!

Michael

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2017, 02:20 am »
Michael,
It weighs about 38 pounds. I almost threw my back out carrying it into the house.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2017, 04:21 pm »
Michael,
It weighs about 38 pounds. I almost threw my back out carrying it into the house.

That's nothing, try lifting my 100 pound Pass amp or my 60 pound Parasound A21.  Even my BAT preamp is 55 pounds.  I am glad my son still lives at home :)

srb

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2017, 06:48 pm »

Maybe you meant 68 lbs?  My Rotel receiver weighs 38 lbs.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2017, 08:57 pm »
Maybe you meant 68 lbs?  My Rotel receiver weighs 38 lbs.

38lbs is the correct weight. There are no unnecessary huge aluminum and steel chassis parts to drive up the cost and weight.

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2017, 09:01 pm »
38 pounds is correct.  AVA power amplifiers are very efficient mechanical designs. 

Take a close look at the photos above.  No short cuts but no excess weight just to make them heaveier to "sound better".

With AVA products you pay only for outstanding performance, nothing else.

Note that in stereo mode the amp runs in differential mode with active plus and minus power to the speakers so each of the plus and minus signal paths have independent speaker fuses.  Audio and power supply grounds are completely isolated from the chassis, one reason why the amp is so quiet and pure.

Frank

avahifi

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2017, 09:11 pm »
The DVA 4/2 and the DVA 700 have identical audio circuits.  It is a unique Class AB solid state design.

The DVA 4/2 is designed for single ended RCA inputs and can be used as a 4 channel amp as a bonus.

The DVA 700 is a pure 400W/ch stereo differential mode amplifier for balanced XLR inputs only.

Same price, your choice depending upon your requirements.

Frank

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2017, 09:17 pm »
I played Stevie Nicks "Bella Donna" LP on it this weekend. This was the first time I played vinyl on it. It sounded fantastic! :thumb:

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2017, 11:31 pm »
Another observation about this amp is that it runs a lot cooler than the 400R. I watched a two hour movie and the amp was lukewarm.

Minn Mark

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2017, 12:01 pm »
I've got an AVA Insight 440H. Is my amp upgradable to the DVA 4/2?

Thanks,

Mark

avahifi

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2017, 08:59 pm »
There is nothing in common from an old 440H AVA amplifier to the new DVA 4/2 exceot the bare chassis, and the labor time to remove everything in the old amp to reuse the chassis eats up the entire chassis recycling cost savings, and the old chassis does not support the now standard IEC AC power jack.

The old chassis would also need to be reworked to add the necessary new input and output jacks.

You are dollars ahead selling the old amp outright and applying that revenue to the price of the new DVA4/2 amp.

We can help you do that with our brokerage service.

Frank

Hiphile

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2017, 11:55 pm »
Anyone compared the new DVA 4/2 to the 600R with MG .7 or above? Will be interesting to find out how similar or different they are sonic wise given the fact that both are priced similar.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2017, 01:47 am »
Hiphile,
I have 1.7s. I have not heard the .7. The extra power of the DVA4/2 makes everything sound better. Everything I compared was better overall vs. the 400R. The 400R is fantastic! The new amp is even better. Background is quieter, everything sounds clearer and more defined.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:39 am »
Anyone compared the new DVA 4/2 to the 600R with MG .7 or above? Will be interesting to find out how similar or different they are sonic wise given the fact that both are priced similar.

I reviewed both the DVA 700 and a 600R with my 1.6's.   They have a totally different sound.  I found the DVA to have a slightly rounder more liquid sound. The R series to me were more resolving and are not as warm sounding.  Both are very dynamic and musical.  I prefer the bass in the R series though.  I found the R amps to have more air in the mid range and the DVA to have fuller mids.  It is all about personal preference and system matching.

Hiphile

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2017, 04:44 pm »
Thanks Gray for your insightful comments, they kind of burst my preconception of the sound of 600R, been a tube hybrid I expected the R series to have the "sweet" sounding qualities of the DVA. Interesting. Nightfall thanks for the great pictures. I won't mind buying this thing based on how their inwards look in your post.
Enjoy it!

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2017, 05:17 pm »
Grayhound,
Maybe the DVA4/2 and 700 sound slightly different? I found the 400R to be warmer sounding. I thought the bass was tighter and more defined with the 4/2. I have not heard 1.6s before, so maybe we are comparing apples to oranges? I have not had much time to listen lately. I will continue to report my findings as I go.
Thanks!