Help me brainstorm how to mount 2d QRDs over window?

danvprod

Hi -- I have 4x18"x18" 2d QRDs (skyline) that I want to mount in the center of my room between my GR Research Super V speakers. Problem is I have a window behind my speakers. I'm trying to brainstorm how I might mount them to help with my imaging and break up the rear-wave of my open baffle.

I'm wondering if I should consider building a frame around the window, filling most of it with absorption and then mounting the QRDs in the middle somehow? I have no interest in the window being functional, but want to do something that isn't going to look too bad.

The window is fairly large -- 63.75 x 68" high.

The other option is to mount the QRDs on first-reflection points on the sidewalls, but I think I do need to get some diffusion behind the GRs.

ebag4

Re: Help me brainstorm how to mount 2d QRDs over window?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2017, 01:29 am »
How about two sliding solid shutters with two QRDs mounted on each shutter over/under. Each shutter would be half the width of the window, you could mount them like sliding barn doors with a bar twice as wide as the window across the top, you could slide the shutters out of the way of the window when necessary.

Hardware similar to this:  https://artisanhardware.com/product-category/barn-door-hardware/

Just a thought.

Best
Ed

youngho

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2017, 03:07 am »
How do you have your speakers positioned and angled? If they're toed-in significantly towards the listening position, could it possibly make sense to mount your existing diffusion to the sides of the windows? Open baffle speakers are typically described as having a dipole radiation pattern, though this is not necessarily uniform at different frequencies. Linkwitz discusses issues related to this here: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm. Depending on setup, the middle of the window may be in a relative null, and potentially the sidewall first-reflection points even more so, consequently putting the diffusers there may not be as productive.

You could then use your time and money to add further diffusion to the wall behind the speakers (or even the sidewalls, but behind the speakers). Even if you don't need the window to be functional, you could consider other options like http://listen-speakers.com/diffuse-glass/ to allow for some light transmission.

JWL.GIK

• Industry Participant
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2017, 06:15 pm »
What about building some sort of framing structure so the diffusors are freestanding?

More absorption & bass trapping on the front wall will help for sure, but this way you could keep both the window and the diffusors.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2017, 09:04 pm »
Hinge them to the wall above the window, so they can be swung up to allow light/view from the window when not listening.

danvprod

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2017, 10:47 pm »
All good ideas, folks. Thank you. My thought with the positioning of the 2D diffusors between the speakers is that the later reflections will end up there, and I want to scatter the waves to help with a stable center image. Certainly an alternative is to mount the on each side of the window and avoid the complexity of building something and/or hanging them.

The free-standing option is interesting too, as I could potentially put some absorbers behind the diffusors and underneath, which may also help the room.

jk@home

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2017, 01:31 am »
The free standing will also be easier to move around, if need be. Two of the three diffusers on my front wall are free standing, on wheels, due to being parked in front of closet doors. The third center one is wall mounted on a 4" absorber panel. Used foam QRDs, mounted in boxes. Modded some old Maggie MMG Sound Anchor stands to hold them up, with casters that screwed into the inserts of the stand (meant for spikes). Your PRDs are going to be heavier, which will be a challenge. Maybe mount them on a pole with a wide pedestal base (like an umbrella setup)? I would find the mirror reflection point of the back of the speakers, seen from the chair, and mount them there.

Sonny

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2017, 03:57 pm »
Here's howheres what I did...

JWL.GIK

• Industry Participant
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2017, 05:55 pm »
Nice job. The Jeff Buckley album on top is definitely helping.  :thumb:   :icon_lol:

Sonny

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2017, 10:58 pm »
Nice job. The Jeff Buckley album on top is definitely helping.  :thumb:   :icon_lol:
:thumb: