?RS8 compared to RS5 (or even the Alnicos...)?

Ultralight

?RS8 compared to RS5 (or even the Alnicos...)?
« on: 19 May 2017, 08:18 am »
Hope it is OK to start this thread though I'm guessing that there's not many RS8 owners yet.  I remain convinced that the RS5 speakers are among the most musical speakers for anything near its price range.  In my opinion, just killer value and good enough for a lifetime of listening.

This question is for those who own both RS5 and RS8 speakers.  I'm very curious about how the RS8 compares to the RS5.   Some particular questions would include:
1. How do the trebles compare?
2. Transient speed?
3. Bass and mid bass?
4. Dispersion?  I have this thing about liking wide dispersion in a small room which is where smaller drivers do better.  (Somehow, it gives me a sense of a wider more expansive space, perhaps more sound bounces of the walls so that there's the delay in multiple audio paths. Not sure.)
5. Anything else....?

And for good measure, would be glad to hear from owners of RS8 vs Alnicos....:)

Perhaps in time we'll hear more comparisons but I figure I'll start a thread here.

Thanks!

roscoe65

• Restricted
Re: ?RS8 compared to RS5 (or even the Alnicos...)?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2017, 02:26 pm »
Can anyone volunteer that they actually own RS8-based speakers yet?  If someone lives locally to other Omega owners we may be able to arrange a direct comparison.  There are a number of Omega owner in my own LI NY region, but I'm unsure if there is anyone with RS8 speakers as of yet.

stellablues

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2017, 04:30 pm »
Mine should be shipping any day now! Probably won't get them until the last week of May due to my travel. Then maybe 2-3 weeks for break-in.

Unfortunately I have never had a full range driver in my listening room so I have no basis for comparison. I have listened to Kef ls50, GR research, Reference 3A, and my own modified Ellis 1801s have been my main speakers for 14 years. System will be Roon > ayre codex > W4S stp-se > Decware Mystery amp > Super 8

Would like then to try some other amps over time. Job 225, FW J2, Fleawatt (if I can ever find one used), etc.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2017, 04:39 pm »
Can anyone volunteer that they actually own RS8-based speakers yet?  If someone lives locally to other Omega owners we may be able to arrange a direct comparison.  There are a number of Omega owner in my own LI NY region, but I'm unsure if there is anyone with RS8 speakers as of yet.

A friend of mine has them, he got the prototypes... they do sound like big RS5s, that is a good description.

jcake5

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2017, 06:24 pm »
I am a owner of Outlaw XRS5s, dual 1.5 way and do like the sound when on axis.  No full range drive can break the laws of physics regarding beaming which is sound wave cancellation.  You can look and ANY loudspeaker frequency response that lists the 0 degree measurement with other off axis measurements for that driver and easily see where the frequency starts to fade away.  Thus, this is why loudspeakers implement larger to smaller and smaller sound sources to improve the off axis response and chest thump that the RS5 will never achieve vs the RS8.

sunnydaze

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 03:39 pm »

Would like then to try some other amps over time. Job 225, FW J2, Fleawatt (if I can ever find one used), etc.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150417.msg1609665;topicseen#new