any Bottlehead users?

j-moose

any Bottlehead users?
« on: 31 May 2017, 05:55 pm »
I'm curious if there are any Omega owners out there using Bottlehead amps to drive their speakers? Specifically the Kaiju amp? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
Jamus

Hank Murrow

Re: any Bottlehead users?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2017, 01:18 am »
I used a cuctom Bottlehead 2A3 stereo amp with JJ 2A3-40 tubes and MQ 2004Jr. trannies with ten slices of Cobalt in the center of the stack. I drove it with  Custom BH Linestage using 6C45-Pi tubes into MQ B7 Cobalt trannies and fronted by a Transformer Volume Control by IAG, the rig powering Omega Super Fives with the upgraded drivers.

The whole thing sounded pretty great, with both delicacy & slam, with just 3.5 watts of single-ended juice.

Cheers, Hank

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2017, 04:22 am »
MMMMM,   Cobalt!   Are those trannies still available?

j-moose

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2017, 03:14 pm »
whoa, sounds exotic Hank!  I'm all stock with my RegaP3-Eros-BeePre-Kaiju. Last thing to upgrade is my speakers. intrigued by these Omegas to say the least.

tdogzthmn

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2017, 02:35 am »
I own and enjoy my Bottlehead SEX 2.1 amp with speakers.  It's rated at 2 WPC but definitely seems to sound much bigger!  My Omegas are still en route from the shop so I have't been able to try them with the SEX amp yet, but I'm expecting it will be a great combo.  Currently I use the amp with a pair of Blumenstein Orca's which are around 89db but still sound lush and detailed with 2watts from the SEX amp.  Once I have spent some time trying the combination I can share my thoughts.

j-moose

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:01 pm »
Thanks TDog, I really look forward to hearing your take on how the Omegas work with your SEX amp. Which Omegas did you go with?

Blumenstein Orcas are also on my radar so I'd love to hear how they compare. Did you use them with a sub(s)?

tdogzthmn

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2017, 12:36 am »
Thanks TDog, I really look forward to hearing your take on how the Omegas work with your SEX amp. Which Omegas did you go with?

Blumenstein Orcas are also on my radar so I'd love to hear how they compare. Did you use them with a sub(s)?

I got a pair of the Junior 8XRS.  No Sub currently but the Omegas should have a similar frequency response to my primary speakers which are Vandersteen 2Cs which also use an 8" woofer.  The Orca's will be interesting to compare although they will likely be outmatched since they roll off around 750Hz.  They have a very immediate and clean sound despite their tiny size.