Step Up Transformer Comparison Question

GregC

Step Up Transformer Comparison Question
« on: 28 Mar 2017, 08:09 pm »
I have a Bobs Device SKY 20 and it was perfect match for my Miyajima Labs Shilabe for both load and gain.  I have now moved to a ZYX Universe II and it is a good match for the SKY 20 for gain but the impedance load is not ideal.  I have worked around this with input loading resistors in parallel at the input. 

I am curious if I could improve things further with a different step up transformer.  I am considering a Sound Tradition MC-907 with the HM-7 transformers wound to a 1:30 ratio.  That should be a better match as far as impedance.  I also have looked at other top tier options such as a Ypsilon with adjustable loading or a Slage that is wound to my specific cartridge. 

I wonder if the MC-907 would be more of a lateral move compared to my SKY 20?  Would the Ypsilon or Slage be enough of an improvement to justify the higher cost compared to the HM7 transformers or sticking with my SKY 20? 

Has anyone used the Ypsilon, Slage, Hashimoto HM7s and Cinemag SKY 20 who cares to comment?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2017, 12:44 am by GregC »

jsm71

Re: Step Up Transformer Comparison Question
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2017, 05:59 pm »
I have the Sky 20 running with a Lyra Delos, which sounds great using the lower gain of the two settings.  I realized at the time that although the Sky devices have two gain settings, you have to know if the load works as well, as you have found.

Did you check with Bob before buying the ZYX?  I'm not very good at understanding these things so I checked with Bob before buying the Sky.  He provided his approval so I went ahead with the purchase.  I'll likely do the same before buying additional carts that on the surface might work with the 20.

I've got a new phono stage coming that will also allow me to alter the load, even coming off the SUT.  That will offer better flexibility and maybe allow me to dial in the Delos even tighter.  My current phono stage is MM only with no load settings, kind of restrictive.  I'm lucky it sounds ok.

GregC

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2017, 06:19 pm »
I have the Sky 20 running with a Lyra Delos, which sounds great using the lower gain of the two settings.  I realized at the time that although the Sky devices have two gain settings, you have to know if the load works as well, as you have found.

Did you check with Bob before buying the ZYX?  I'm not very good at understanding these things so I checked with Bob before buying the Sky.  He provided his approval so I went ahead with the purchase.  I'll likely do the same before buying additional carts that on the surface might work with the 20.

I've got a new phono stage coming that will also allow me to alter the load, even coming off the SUT.  That will offer better flexibility and maybe allow me to dial in the Delos even tighter.  My current phono stage is MM only with no load settings, kind of restrictive.  I'm lucky it sounds ok.

I checked with Bob and he recommended the SKY 30, even with my prior cartridge, the Miyajima Labs Shilabe.  I found a used SKY 20 and decided to pull the trigger and was happy with how it worked with the Shilabe.  I have the ability to run MC direct on my phono stage (but it is a fixed 1000 Ohm load).  I found I preferred a step up into my my MM input in my system. 

I knew when I got the ZYX it was not an ideal impedance match with the SKY 20.  I have worked around the issue with parallel resistor loading on the input of the SKY 20.  I still wonder if I the Hashimoto HM7 transformers would be a sideways step to the SKY Cinemag transformers.  I would assume the Slage and Ypsilon step ups would be higher performance based on price points.

GregC

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2017, 08:48 pm »
I have read many reviews and it seems like any of the following step ups would work well with my ZYX Universe II.

• Sound Tradition MC-907 (Hashimoto HM7 transformers wired 1:30).
  • EAR MC4 so I can try the 6 Ohm and 3 Ohm inputs and have flexibility if I ever replace my cartridge.
  • Ypsilon MC20 where I can use loading plugs to fine tune impedance.
  • Slage copper transformer made specifically for the ZYX.

Anyone who has tried and compared any of the above transformers I would appreciate your feedback. 

sfox7076

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2017, 11:55 pm »
I would go with Slagle hands down.  Dave will tweak it just for you if need be.  And, well, he makes the best iron money can buy.  If you want to spend a ton, have him wire it in silver...  And I own the Hashimoto.  It is great, but Dave's work is better...

GregC

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2017, 12:05 am »
I would go with Slagle hands down.  Dave will tweak it just for you if need be.  And, well, he makes the best iron money can buy.  If you want to spend a ton, have him wire it in silver...  And I own the Hashimoto.  It is great, but Dave's work is better...

Thanks for your feedback.  On High End Audio I read how Arthur Salvatore tested the EMIA transformer (in silver) with the exact same ZYX Universe II cartridge I now have.  Dave also offers his transformer in copper.  I figure a custom wound transformer is the best possible sound I can possibly obtain, but at the expense of of flexibility if I ever decide to change cartridges. 

hrosenba

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2017, 01:55 pm »
Hi Greg,
Another option would be to contact Pieter Treurniet, who makes the Tribute SUT's.  He will make you an SUT with your desired turns ratio, and will provide parallel RCA plugs on the chassis so you can conveniently load the secondary with resistors of your choice.  I have no direct experience (yet), but I am awaiting delivery of a 1:15 copper wound SUT.
Cheers,
Harvey

GregC

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2017, 07:03 pm »
Hi Greg,
Another option would be to contact Pieter Treurniet, who makes the Tribute SUT's.  He will make you an SUT with your desired turns ratio, and will provide parallel RCA plugs on the chassis so you can conveniently load the secondary with resistors of your choice.  I have no direct experience (yet), but I am awaiting delivery of a 1:15 copper wound SUT.
Cheers,
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have read many positive reviews about Tribute transformers and how Pieter served the DIY community for so many years and has now scaled back on production.  I was not aware that he offered finished step ups, and I like the idea of the loading plugs to fine tune for the cartridge.  Will the plugs be on the input or output side?  Also, what is the time delay from order to delivery?

Thanks,
Greg

hrosenba

« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2017, 01:58 pm »
Hi Greg,
I was also (pleasantly) surprised when Pieter replied that he would put together a finished product.  The loading plugs are on the output (secondary). Regarding time between ordering and delivery -- I will let you know -- I placed my order on April 4. Pieter's email address: pietertreurniet@gmail.com

Harvey

sfox7076

« Reply #9 on: 18 Apr 2017, 02:05 pm »
I just finished tweaking an LCR phono preamp.  It is designed to take my LOMC to line level without a step up. It is amazing. 

GregC

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2017, 02:27 am »
I agree that MC direct can sound very good, and the MC input on my phono stage sounds excellent.   I just have not been able to get the same utter black silence as I can with a step up into my MM input.

GregC

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov 2017, 04:10 am »
I ordered and received a Tribute 1:15 MC Step Up so I thought I would post some of my thoughts since people were kind enough to offer me advice in this thread.  I owned a Bob's Device SKY 20 that I thought sounded superb, so the bar was set high for the Tribute SUT. 

I bought the Tribute based on Pieter's reputation for being one of the best custom transformer builders in the business.  I read how Pieter is no longer making transformers for the DIY community, so I was pleasantly surprised to find Pieter was offering a finished MC Step Up.  Pieter will hand wind the transformers to your specific needs.  In my case I wanted 1:15 turn ratio because the gain was perfect for my setup based on the 42 DB MM input on my phono stage.   

When I received the Tribute SUT my initial impression was I thought Pieter's workmanship was top notch.  One nice touch is Pieter sends several pairs of resistors with different load settings so you can easily insert them into external spring clips to change the output on the secondary.  In my case Pieter inserted resistors to make the load my cartridge sees 100 Ohms. 

Pieter sent a spec sheet with measurements for the transformers and they are ruler flat.  On the spec sheet is where Pieter taped the additional resistors with a note for what the effective load would be for your cartridge with the resistors inserted in the SUT Secondary.  I tried other resistors and ended up going back to the resistors Pieter inserted to provide the 100 ohm load.   The 100 Ohm load seems to be a great match for my ZYX Universe 2 cartridge.

Initially I could tell the Tribute MC Step Up was well balanced and very resolving, but I wanted to let it run in before critically evaluating its performance. It has now been several months and all I can say is wow, Pieter's reputation is well deserved.  The music sounds balanced from top to bottom without emphasis on any particular spectrum.  The SUT is dead quiet without a trace of hum or EFI noise.  I would say that it is very transparent and revealing with a neutral presentation.

I can enthusiastically recommend the Tribute MC Step U to anyone who would like to try a high quality SUT with custom wound transformers.  I am not affiliated with Tribute, just a happy customer.