FS: Von Schweikert Audio VR-5 HSE *Speakers*Reduced $2,999.00

Audiophile

Price reduced to $3,799.00 and will now ship CONUS at buyers expense.

Audiophile

Price reduced to $3,499.00 and will now ship CONUS at buyers expense.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
..somebody is going to get great sound for peanuts  :thumb: :thumb:

dburna

..somebody is going to get great sound for peanuts  :thumb: :thumb:

Seriously.  I am not in the market for speakers.....and even *I* am tempted.  Someone please scoop up this bargain before I weaken any further.

-dB

Audiophile

Thanks guys! Appreciate the endorsement! This really is a great price for what they sound like . I am upgrading to the VSA VR-5 Anniversary MK II speakers.  :thumb: :thumb:

Stercom

Thanks guys! Appreciate the endorsement! This really is a great price for what they sound like . I am upgrading to the VSA VR-5 Anniversary MK II speakers.  :thumb: :thumb:
I'm jealous. Congrats!

Rusty Jefferson

Apologies for asking this question, but does VSA still support drivers/recone kits/diaphragms for speakers of this vintage?

martinr

Apologies for asking this question, but does VSA still support drivers/recone kits/diaphragms for speakers of this vintage?
Rusty, VS has worked on my vr-4's recently... Replaced a driver so they probably support the VR-5's....

Audiophile

As far as I know VSA doesn't make their own drivers or parts in the crossover. All parts should be readily available.

Audiophile

I'm jealous. Congrats!

Thanks Stercom!!  8)

jonbee

Always the big question with out of production speakers, or even in production if the drivers are custom, heavily modded or changed.
The exact version of the Audax mids used (HM130Z12-8) were tough to identify and find, but I did obtain one for insurance. The Excel tweeter (T25CF001) is still made, I think, and this version of the woofers (Excel W17E-002) turns up used or NOS from time to time.
The mids are trickiest. They are amazing, but they've been out of production for a number of years. There are similar, but different versions (such as surround config, cone material and coating, impedance), but only Albert can confirm how close they might be sonically.
I believe these model #s are correct, but no guarantees. These are all quality drivers, and should last a very long time. There are lots of 50 year old speakers still in service, and without electrolytic caps there isn't much to go bad if they are not abused.
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2017, 10:05 pm by jonbee »

Rusty Jefferson

Always the big question with out of production speakers, or even in production if the drivers are custom, heavily modded or changed......
Okay, thanks for your post I clipped above,  that's the info I was looking for.  I agree with your statement I quoted. I'm living with that circumstance currently, as are a couple friends, and maybe most of us. Accumulating spares and recone kits is annoying and expensive, and could be worse if the manufacturer modded a stock driver for their purposes. 

I'm not familiar enough with VSA to know what the lowdown on spares/parts was.  Thanks for filling me in.  Not trying to deter anyone from a purchase.  Sorry for derailing the thread.

danabunner

A this version of the woofers (Excel W17E-002) turns up used or NOS from time to time.

Appreciate your post, I always like getting information about drivers.   However the Excel W17E-002 is a 6.5" woofer.  Doesn't this speaker use a 9" woofer?
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vintage/pdfdataheet/e0009_w17ex002.pdf

jonbee

Appreciate your post, I always like getting information about drivers.   However the Excel W17E-002 is a 6.5" woofer.  Doesn't this speaker use a 9" woofer?
http://www.seas.no/images/stories/vintage/pdfdataheet/e0009_w17ex002.pdf
No, that is the correct size for this model. Later vr-5 models used larger woofers. They are more similar to the VR-7 HSE, which used 8 inchers. Another killer speaker value.
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2017, 01:48 am by jonbee »

htradtk

HUGE CONGRATS! On your VR-5 Anniversary MKII speakers! Had the MKII upgrade done on my original VR-5 Anniversary in 2012 and very pleased. Albert and company are great to work with! Very customer oriented! Will need some pics and you impressions on there sound!

Henry

Audiophile

HUGE CONGRATS! On your VR-5 Anniversary MKII speakers! Had the MKII upgrade done on my original VR-5 Anniversary in 2012 and very pleased. Albert and company are great to work with! Very customer oriented! Will need some pics and you impressions on there sound!

Henry

Thanks Henry!

Will post pics and review when I receive them.

Still wish I can sell my VR-5 HSE.  Didn't even get an offer.  :scratch:

Paul

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Paul,

Just as it must be difficult for you (no offer yet), it is also difficult for this lurker. If my living situation were different (ie. if I weren't living a mobile lifestyle), I'd snap these up to place in my living room. However, I am living a mobile lifestyle. I'd have nowhere to put them if I bought them.

I'm not trying to get your hopes up because this isn't a ploy to get you to sell to me at a lower price. However, I wanted you to know there are (one anyway!) interested potential buyers out there.

Patience. These will eventually sell.

Michael

Audiophile

Paul,

Just as it must be difficult for you (no offer yet), it is also difficult for this lurker. If my living situation were different (ie. if I weren't living a mobile lifestyle), I'd snap these up to place in my living room. However, I am living a mobile lifestyle. I'd have nowhere to put them if I bought them.

I'm not trying to get your hopes up because this isn't a ploy to get you to sell to me at a lower price. However, I wanted you to know there are (one anyway!) interested potential buyers out there.

Patience. These will eventually sell.

Michael

Thanks Michael!  :thumb:

Audiophile

Price reduced to $3,299.00 and will now ship CONUS at buyers expense.

roscoeiii

Price reduced to $3,299.00 and will now ship CONUS at buyers expense.

Stop tempting me!!!