Problems resetting the balance control

Jonathan

Problems resetting the balance control
« on: 6 Feb 2017, 03:14 pm »
I have an LDR3 v.2 I purchased used last summer. I love it, and it has been working flawlessly, but last night I noticed what seemed to be a shift in balance to the left, so I decided to reset the balance control. I followed the manual instructions (I thought), first hitting "mute," then the "left" button. The displays blinked, but it did not seem to do anything after that. I then tried the balance adjust, hitting "mute", then the "Right" button. The displays blinked, but the right hand digit showed 0. Using the left and right buttons to change the values was confusing, too, in that sometimes the right button moved the left digits, and vice versa. I pushed lots of buttons and ended up with practically no sound at all in the right speaker. I know the preamp settings are messed up, because I plugged the DAC directly into my amp without the pre and all is balanced and working fine.

I was pretty frustrated and ended up hitting Auto-Cal and going up to bed. The preamp was off when I last checked it, so I assume the Auto-Cal process went fine. Before I give it another try after work, I'm wondering what I am doing wrong. Also, is there a global reset function to get unit back to factory defaults? Finally, if I want to use just the encoder to reset the balance, what is process? Thank you!

Jon

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Problems resetting the balance control
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2017, 08:11 pm »
I have an LDR3 v.2 I purchased used last summer. I love it, and it has been working flawlessly, but last night I noticed what seemed to be a shift in balance to the left, so I decided to reset the balance control. I followed the manual instructions (I thought), first hitting "mute," then the "left" button. The displays blinked, but it did not seem to do anything after that. I then tried the balance adjust, hitting "mute", then the "Right" button. The displays blinked, but the right hand digit showed 0. Using the left and right buttons to change the values was confusing, too, in that sometimes the right button moved the left digits, and vice versa. I pushed lots of buttons and ended up with practically no sound at all in the right speaker. I know the preamp settings are messed up, because I plugged the DAC directly into my amp without the pre and all is balanced and working fine.

I was pretty frustrated and ended up hitting Auto-Cal and going up to bed. The preamp was off when I last checked it, so I assume the Auto-Cal process went fine. Before I give it another try after work, I'm wondering what I am doing wrong. Also, is there a global reset function to get unit back to factory defaults? Finally, if I want to use just the encoder to reset the balance, what is process? Thank you!

Jon

Hi Jon,

I suggest you first consider upgrading your preamp's firmware to the latest published version. Especially since it sounds like you have the original 2.1 variant. The 2.2.x version simplified the remote control scheme. It's way more logical and balanced adjustment is as simple as using the left/right button on the remote. This link will take to our website where you can download the required software/files etc. There's fairly detailed instructions there as well.   http://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/firmware/

I'm sure you can unscramble your preamp without updating the firmware but an ounce of prevention.....

Jonathan

« Reply #2 on: 6 Feb 2017, 09:29 pm »
Thanks, Morten.  I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure I'm already at 2.2.8.

Jon

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2017, 09:47 pm »
Thanks, Morten.  I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure I'm already at 2.2.8.

Jon

Ok, then my next suggestion is look over this section in our online documentation:  http://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/documentation/#apple-2-2-x
I especially recommend expanding the section "Graphical Summary" which walks you through each of the control modes and their operation.

When someone really gets lost in the weeds and can't get any audio to come out there's a 99.9% chance it's because the user has managed to change the impedance setting from the default #1 to some other number #2 through #5 none of which have likely been set up yet and thus being empty have no attenuation curves result in no output. So step one to recovering output is switch to impedance adjust mode lower the impedance setting number back to #1. Then sort our the rest from there.

Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2017, 11:27 pm »
Just turned on the system. The impedance was where it belonged, and upon firing it up, all is back to sounding as it should. No idea what happened, but I'm relieved. Thanks for your time.

Jon