Tech Notes: iTube 2

Pez

Tech Notes: iTube 2
« on: 24 Jan 2017, 08:56 pm »

Micro iTube2
Sprinkle the ‘magic of SET’ into any system

Reloaded, next generation
The original iTube became the ‘go to’ tube buffer for any and every home audio system. The iTube2 with trickle-down technology from the flagship ‘Pro’ series has been redesigned with new parts and new circuitry. Only the GE5670 tube remains.

The iTube2 is a tubed output stage; tube preamp; tube buffer and an impedance-matching device. There is nothing like it. Put the iTube2 before a solid-state preamp with another iTube2 after it to create the  effect of tubing the whole audio chain. Or simply use the iTube2 as a very high-quality preamp by itself.

The iTube2 sounds, by and far, like a tube amplifier ‘done right with the inimitable magic of tubes‘:

1.   Tube+® circuit for SET/Push-Pull/Classic tube amplifier signature
2.   3D Holographic+® for Loudspeakers matrix system
3.   XBass+® for Loudspeakers matrix system

Features/Technologies
•   High-end Direct Tube Buffer/High-End Direct Pre-amplifier
•   Selectable tube sound signature (SET / Push-Pull / Classic)
•   All-new 3D Holographic+® for Loudspeakers matrix system
•   All-new XBass+® for Loudspeakers matrix system
•   Pure analogue volume control
•   Ultra-low Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.009% (Tube+ off)
•   0dB or 9dB selectable gain
•   Reference class parts quality from ELNA Silmic to C0G capacitors
•   iPower (15V) included, ‘quieter than battery’ power supply

The retail price of the micro iTube2 is US$375 (ex-tax) or Euro450/£375 (incl VAT).

Full product info: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-itube2

Check it out, iTube 2 in AV setup has been getting quite a bit of love from industry insiders.  http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/av-home-entertainment/
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2017, 08:12 pm by Pez »

WC

Re: Tech Notes: iTube 2
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2017, 09:36 pm »
Any idea how long the tube will last in the iTube 2 and when its life ends is it user replaceable?

dburna

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2017, 09:39 pm »
Any idea how long the tube will last in the iTube 2?

+1 - would also like to know if AMR/iFi recommend keeping the iTube2 on all the time vs. turning it off when not in use (I'm assuming the latter).  And if the tube does die/get worn, is the tube user replaceable?

-dB

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2017, 10:01 pm »
Hi guys, the 5670 tube utilized in the iTube2 is a beast. It can be left on with no worries. The life of the tube is astonishing, rated at 100,000 hours or 10 years of standard music listening. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2017, 12:54 am »
100,000 hours equals 11.4 years (continuous).

It appears that the iTube 2 gives up the "Digital Antidote Plus" from the micro - iTube, true?

Lancelot

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2017, 02:21 am »

I really don't understand why a product like this has only a one year warranty ( and much less on the tube .) It looks very well made and I'm not suggesting it isn't.
 To me, way too many manufactures in the high end give very limited warranty coverage .

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2017, 05:07 pm »
I really don't understand why a product like this has only a one year warranty ( and much less on the tube .) It looks very well made and I'm not suggesting it isn't.
 To me, way too many manufactures in the high end give very limited warranty coverage .

We really are very proud of our products and warranty. Customers being happy is important to us. That said we have an excellent support ticket system and we take care of our clients inside and outside of warranty. And let's face it, iFi stuff is made like a tank, inside and out.

shahed

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jan 2017, 08:29 pm »
Does it come with a remote volume control? Simply as a preamp with regards to sound quality only, is it comparable to iFi iCan Pro?

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2017, 09:57 pm »
Does it come with a remote volume control? Simply as a preamp with regards to sound quality only, is it comparable to iFi iCan Pro?

The iTube2 does not have a remote. As far as the sound quality, I think a lot of people will look at the pre-amp on the iTube 2 and think it was just an afterthought, but the performance truly is stunning for the buck.  That said, the iCan PRO is on a whole different level both feature wise and sound quality wise.  Think of it like going from a V8 Mustang (which is great for the $$$) to the Corvette Z06 (which can humble far more expensive sports cars).

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2017, 08:30 am »
Twice above you say  "for Loudspeakers matrix system". What does that mean?

underdog64

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2017, 04:11 pm »
 Could we get an answer on JLM's question on the digital antidote as far as being included/not included in the mark 2 model please?-thanks

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2017, 04:02 pm »
Could we get an answer on JLM's question on the digital antidote as far as being included/not included in the mark 2 model please?-thanks

Missed it, sorry about that.

Digital Antidote is not on iTube2.

underdog64

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2017, 04:46 pm »
Ok thanks for answering that.Wonder why no digital  antidote in new version? Better technology to solve same  problem- (ringing digital highs)  Or royalty issues? Might opt for the first version over the new one.It would be placed  from my digital source to my preamp

Zero

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jan 2017, 04:57 pm »
Underdog,

For whatever it's worth, I have both the original iTube and the iTube 2 on hand.   If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't get wrapped up in sundry denotations like 'Digital Antidotes'.  The real litmus test boils down to how the iTube 2 performs in a real-world system.  On my desktop rig (which is fronted by an iMac), I can genuinely say that as solid of a performer as the original iTube is, it's replacement is significantly better.  In every way. 

Lancelot

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jan 2017, 06:47 pm »

I realize that the iTube2 was made mostly for desktop applications and I understand this is where the market is going. But for me I would be using it in a 2 channel  living room system  and all I need or want would be a tube buffer with selectable tube signature. I would buy one of those in a minute.

Any chance of something like this ?

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2017, 07:01 pm »
I realize that the iTube2 was made mostly for desktop applications and I understand this is where the market is going. But for me I would be using it in a 2 channel  living room system  and all I need or want would be a tube buffer with selectable tube signature. I would buy one of those in a minute.

I am using the Itube 2 in a 2 chanel system as a preamp. Get on the tour. The 2 easily beats my Cryo Itube 1 with the Astron power supply.

Pez

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2017, 08:36 pm »

What you just decribed is EXACTLY what the iTube 2 is. It allows you to select between standard mode, push pull mode and SET mode. It's super clean yet warm and sonically wonderful. Last chance to join the tour is coming up. I will have to shut the doors earlier than expected it appears. Lots of interest right now.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2017, 04:56 pm by Pez »

Lancelot

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jan 2017, 10:31 pm »

I'm in Canada so don't think I qualify for the tour. I eagerly look for ward to the reviews of others.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jan 2017, 12:07 am »
The 2 easily beats my Cryo Itube 1 with the Astron power supply.

Care to expound just a bit on this Tom?

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 30 Jan 2017, 12:14 am »
Care to expound just a bit on this Tom?

I will in my review Tommy, this is much better from top to bottom. Are you on the tour yet?