bdp24

Re: Veneer Question/ NX Ottica MTM-H Frame Servo Bass Build
« Reply #180 on: 11 Jun 2017, 02:32 pm »
Wow. Better than Wilson. And BMW!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #181 on: 11 Jun 2017, 05:37 pm »
That's just cool, Ed. And not just the finish on the speakers. Seems to me you persevered and now have something to remind you of that endeavor, which is at least as important as the music side of things.

Kudos...and enjoy. I guess you've got some cutting and buffing distance to go yet, but hopefully that's done in a Zen sort of way!

ebag4

« Reply #182 on: 11 Jun 2017, 11:39 pm »
Bravo, nice work!!  :bounce:
Thanks Jim, still a way to go .

Wow. Better than Wilson. And BMW!
Thanks bdp, it's as least as good as a first attempt by a finishing newby  :lol:.
That's just cool, Ed. And not just the finish on the speakers. Seems to me you persevered and now have something to remind you of that endeavor, which is at least as important as the music side of things.

Kudos...and enjoy. I guess you've got some cutting and buffing distance to go yet, but hopefully that's done in a Zen sort of way!

Thanks Peter, it has been a bit of a journey, I have learned a lot.  It appears I underestimated how long it would take to buff one out ( no kidding most of you are probably thinking  :lol:), I managed to get one speaker completed.  They really flattened out well, the first panel had the most cracks in the grain so far. This is how the left speaker turned out:

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #183 on: 12 Jun 2017, 03:01 pm »
wow  Ed :o  You've done a fantastic job on these, I know how much time and effort you've  put into t them but look at your  resluts   :thumb:  Wish I could see them  in person

jay

gmurray618

« Reply #184 on: 13 Jun 2017, 06:46 pm »
Spectacular.
Absolutely beautiful.

cody69

« Reply #185 on: 13 Jun 2017, 09:47 pm »
Labor of love Ed. Turned out amazing.
And the attention to details... such as veneering the waveguide, finishing technique, etc., make all the difference.
Well done!

ebag4

« Reply #186 on: 17 Jun 2017, 12:24 am »
Thanks guys, I am pretty happy with the way they have turned out.

I picked up some Meguiars Polish, I want to see if that adds any additional clarity and sheen.  I hope to make more progress this weekend, I did manage to get one of the grills made.  Here is the left speaker with the grill, Herbies square fat dots between the bass unit and the center piece with the entire speaker sitting on Herbies giant fat gliders:

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #187 on: 17 Jun 2017, 01:08 am »
Ed, I'm not sure if this  will help , maybe someone else can chime in  with more details ...
when our painter does final polishing on our cabinets, he  does it in  3 different stages with 3 different compunds and of course, 3 different  pads on the buffer..   Then  when he is happy, he finishes it all off with a high quality wax.  I've watched him  a couple times and it's pretty amazing  watching the  progress as he moves through the different compunds.  The  sad part is, dust, finger prints, pretty much  anything  immediately shows up , it was painfully apparent on the  piano black duals we did.
Hoping that  with the  burl you've used,  these little  things   that stand out on a  high gloss solid color may  not be   as obvious for you.
Keep the pics coming  over the weekend if you  have   time  :)

lacro

« Reply #188 on: 17 Jun 2017, 03:02 pm »
Jay's correct, multiple stage polishing really brings out that mirror finish. I just finished doing both my black vehicles which took me a couple weeks to finish :roll:. Each step adds more shine/clarity. The pad also determines the level of cut. You can use a different pad with the same polish and get different results. Not sure which Meguires polish you have, but I used Meguires M205 (pro line product)with a soft foam pad (very low cut), and followed it with Meguires Ultimate Polish (consumer line), again with a soft foam pad. UP is a super fine polish/glaze, and leaves a really nice super high sheen finish with a lot of depth. I use a DA polisher. Depending on how hard/soft your finish is, the pad, and polish needed to get the best result is trial and error. A final coat of wax will give the finish a bit more shine and depth.

ebag4

« Reply #189 on: 17 Jun 2017, 05:50 pm »
Thanks Jay/ Lacro, that is essentially what I am doing only it is two step followed by wax.  I sanded with 800/1500/2000 and followed that with Meguiars #2 fine cut (based on a recommendation for use with EM6000). I bought Meguiars Ultimate polish to follow the #2 fine cut , I also picked up a can of Johnsons paste wax to apply after the polish.  I used a wool pad on my random orbit sander for the left speaker, I decided to try a random orbit buffer, I picked one up at autozone.  The buffer came with microfiber pads, so I will give those a shot.

At the rate I am progressing, I hope to be listening to these sometime the week of the 4th, I am on vacation that week.

Best,
Ed

jimbones

« Reply #190 on: 17 Jun 2017, 05:52 pm »
Very nice, props to you on doing such a great job  :bowdown:

ebag4

« Reply #191 on: 17 Jun 2017, 06:10 pm »
Very nice, props to you on doing such a great job  :bowdown:
Thanks Jim, but there are plenty of flaws. I will be touching up several edges where I was too aggressive when sanding.  I am leaning that a big part of finishing is not screwing up what you have already done.  I wish I was a little quicker on the uptake, maybe I would be doing less touch up. :lol: 

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #192 on: 17 Jun 2017, 07:52 pm »
Ed,

Looking good  :thumb:

Be sure the paste wax you use is for a gloss finish.

I used to think all paste waxes provided a glossy finish but found out differently after applying Johnson's to an Arm R Seal gloss finish. The sheen was duller than before the polish. I read the information on the can closer and found out that wax imparted a "satin luster". I then closely read the information on a can of Renaissance wax I use frequently on wooden flutes (mainly oil finishes) and found out it also imparts a "soft sheen"

I started searching locally and found one wax, Meguiar's Ultimate, that specifically says it is for use on glossy finishes and not to be used on flat, matte or satin finishes.

I stripped the Johnson's off (mineral spirits, followed by naptha, finishing up with a 50% alcohol solution) and applied the Meguiar's Ultimate. This resulted in a nice glossy finish.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #193 on: 17 Jun 2017, 08:05 pm »
Ed,

I used to think all paste waxes provided a glossy finish but found out differently after applying Johnson's to an Arm R Seal gloss finish. The sheen was duller than before the polish. I read the information on the can closer and found out that wax imparted a "satin luster". I then closely read the information on a can of Renaissance wax I use frequently on wooden flutes (mainly oil finishes) and found out it also imparts a "soft sheen"

I started searching locally and found one wax, Meguiar's Ultimate, that specifically says it is for use on glossy finishes and not to be used on flat, matte or satin finishes.

I stripped the Johnson's off (mineral spirits, followed by naptha, finishing up with a 50% alcohol solution) and applied the Meguiar's Ultimate. This resulted in a nice glossy finish.

Mike
Thanks for that Mike, "rich satiny luster" is what it says on the Johnsons wax.  You saved me a lot of effort with that info.

Best,
Ed

lacro

« Reply #194 on: 18 Jun 2017, 02:06 pm »
Ed,

Mike

Mike, I agree about the softer sheen with Johnson's. I had the same experience. Be careful with 50% alcohol solution, that is pretty HOT for most finishes even automotive clearcoat. I think the mineral spirits is the best, readily available (safe) choice for removing wax.

[url][https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html/url]

The Meguires Ultimate line are pretty good consumer/DIYer products. I haven't used Ultimate wax, but it seems to get good reviews. For automotive wax I like FK1000, and Collinite 845 for their protection/longevity on auto paint. For the absolute easiest to use product, I really like Meguires M20 polymer sealant. It goes on easy, comes off even easier, and doesn't stain plastic - and it leaves a super glossy finish. It's the perfect lazy mans final finish. Whatever product is used it should probably be pre-tested on an inconspicuous area  for compatibility with furniture finishes. Also, with most automotive waxes, "less is more" is good practice. Use a small amount of wax to the point it almost looks like there is nothing there.

LittleWoodenBoy

« Reply #195 on: 18 Jun 2017, 03:01 pm »
Nu Finish, that once a year polish in the orange bottle works great for a high gloss finish. I stopped using it in the shop because it has silicone in it, as do all (nearly all) car polishes.  That's not a problem for your speakers, but can be a problem down the road for future projects as the silicone contaminates can mess up the finish on future projects.  The Nu Finish people say it's not an issue with modern materials, but I'm paranoid.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #196 on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:31 am »
I watched a YouTube video showing how to apply the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and picked up a foam bonnet for my polisher buffer.  I don't know if the difference is the foam vs wool/microfiber or adjusting my technique, but I am a very happy camper!  The polish gave me the clear deep shine I was seeing glimpses of, the speaker looks better than I had hoped.  I can't get the pics to show what I am seeing, but I gave it a shot (see below), the Burl has a great glow and depth.

On to waxing!

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2017, 03:34 am by ebag4 »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #197 on: 23 Jun 2017, 04:12 am »
Ed,

Those look awsome  :thumb:

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #198 on: 23 Jun 2017, 04:25 am »
Ed,

Those look awsome  :thumb:

Mike
Thanks Mike, I am pretty happy with them, now to finish the other one.

Best,
Ed

lacro

« Reply #199 on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:58 pm »
Ed,
That came out really nice. Glad the Ultimate Polish worked for you. Now you can do your car with it  :)