The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers

HAL

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #200 on: 12 Mar 2017, 02:35 pm »
Anand,
Glad it inspires you to make progress with your projects! 

It is definitely a fun project!   :D

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #201 on: 12 Mar 2017, 03:35 pm »
These scare me...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #202 on: 12 Mar 2017, 04:39 pm »
These scare me...
Indeed they should!  Audiophile spouses everywhere fear the coming of the Megaliths.  After hearing them, audiophiles will cry quietly upon returning to their pitiful and completely inadequate rigs, sitting empty eyed and slack jawed with tonearms running endlessly at records end or with file servers set on random.   :o
After hearing Danny's planar line array, it took years of therapy to regain a semblance of audiophile normality.   
Sad to say, Rich never recovered...  I don't know if I could survive the Megaliths. 

HAL

« Reply #203 on: 12 Mar 2017, 05:26 pm »
Scott,
I have not recovered since the 1979 listening session to the IRS Ref III's!   :o

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #204 on: 12 Mar 2017, 07:26 pm »
  Well done Hal. I'm sure the GTA tweeters helped greatly. Actually just ordered a pair of GTA speakers. Now OB sub time. Only two per side.

charles

HAL

« Reply #205 on: 16 Mar 2017, 11:23 pm »
Charles,
Really like Greg's ribbons in the system.

My friend George and his wife stopped by for a quick listen to the system.   Had fun with some RR Pomps & Pipes Organ playback.  Just amazingly clean from ribbons to bass.   

Fun listening sessions to come.

HAL

« Reply #206 on: 9 Apr 2017, 09:10 pm »
Have MathAudio RoomEQ running with Foobar2000 on the HAL MS-3 for The Megaliths.   :thumb:

This will be a good system to run until the 16 channel dspMusik is completed.

danvprod

« Reply #207 on: 14 Aug 2017, 04:51 pm »
I see that Danny has started receiving the GR Neo 3s http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152039.0.

Have you any plans to add these into your arrays or are you pretty happy with the ribbons you are currently using?

Any other progress?

HAL

« Reply #208 on: 14 Aug 2017, 08:23 pm »
Dan,
I have the latest 8 channel version of the dspMusik LCD running with The Megaliths.  Still the GT ribbons and Neo10 planars.   

I have a great interest in the new Neo3's when Danny has made his measurements. Would need 48 of the Neo3's.  I really think with both the mods in discussion they will be an improvement. 

Still waiting on the 16 channel version of the dspMusik and no ETA to date.

HAL

« Reply #209 on: 9 Sep 2017, 07:47 pm »
Dissasembled the two 6x12 servo sub towers to relocate them compared to the main baffles for a more symmetrical setup. 

Next will be changing some time delay settings on the dspMusik LCD crossover for the new sub positions and then run MathAudio RoomEQ measurements for new correction. 

This should be interesting!

KLH007

« Reply #210 on: 9 Sep 2017, 07:56 pm »
I will be interested in your comparison of your Megalith system and the GT Audio Works room with Sound Insight's room with a double 6x12 OB setup, when you attend CAF this November.

HAL

« Reply #211 on: 9 Sep 2017, 08:12 pm »
HAL will not be in the GT Audioworks room this year.  Will stop by at some point in the show to listen.  They will be using a transport this year from what I was told.

To bad, as I was going to try running MathAudio RoomEQ this time on the MS-3 as well and do a A/B trial.  Oh well.

KLH007

« Reply #212 on: 9 Sep 2017, 09:11 pm »
Rich, I guess it's just GTAW & SI this year, anyway I meant you'll hear the room and be able to make some comparisons. Steve is bringing an Esoteric K01x SACD player & Acoustic Signature TT as sources. With many similarities between the 2 speaker systems, I'm interested to see how the GTAW full range driver and tweeter compare to your planar mids with the same/similar GTAW tweeters, the OB woofers appear to be very similar. I'm looking forward to seeing you again in Rockville, will you be at RMAF?

HAL

« Reply #213 on: 9 Sep 2017, 09:16 pm »
Kemper,
Yes, that is what I heard from Greg.

Yes, I plan to be at RMAF as well as CAF. 

The 6x12" OB servo subs I have are identical to his as last I heard.

See you soon.

Rich

THROWBACK

« Reply #214 on: 10 Sep 2017, 01:26 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing both you guys (Rich and Kemper) at RMAF. Lunch or dinner on Friday maybe?
Best,
Chuck

HAL

« Reply #215 on: 10 Sep 2017, 01:42 pm »
Chuck,
Lunch or dinner Friday work for me.   Will be staying at the Marriott for the show.

Rich

KLH007

« Reply #216 on: 10 Sep 2017, 08:32 pm »
Rich & Chuck, Friday should work, see you guys there.

HAL

« Reply #217 on: 19 Sep 2017, 12:59 am »
Using Wolfram's Mathmatica on a Raspberry Pi3 to do the time domain beamformer delay calculations and found a bug, so that is fixed and new delays calculated.  All this is based on the listening distance from the array.

Updated the dspMusik LCD block diagram and everything is running.

Now to run RoomEQ measurements and get the new correction going.

HAL

« Reply #218 on: 20 Sep 2017, 08:47 pm »
Updated speaker positions and servo sub grills installed.

dspMusikLCD program updated.  Now boots with the new code running.

Next up MathAudio RoomEQ measurements and then listening.

HAL

« Reply #219 on: 2 Oct 2017, 11:32 pm »
Had my friends Avoosl and Charlie over today for The Megaliths stage 2 listening session. 

Very interesting listening responses on very different sets of responses for the speaker with both RoomEQ running Neutral, Bright and Bypass modes.  Now to build a custom response curve in RoomEQ and see what happens for the next listening session.

Progress continues.