Sigma satellites, etc, in my soundroom

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Sigma satellites, etc, in my soundroom
« on: 17 Apr 2016, 03:57 am »
Just thought I'd toss up some random AudioKinesis images taken in the past few weeks in my sound room.  Thursday last, two audio fanatics visited together.  One owns $32k/pr Aerial 20T V2 speakers, the other recently purchased a used pair of the most collectable VMPS model (IMO), the RM/X. 

The stand mount is the latest Planetarium Sigma IFO Space Generators.  The floor stander is Jazz Module 2.0 IFO Late Ceiling Splash 2.0.

Russell Dawkins

Re: Sigma satellites, etc, in my soundroom
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2016, 06:14 am »
...and the response from the two audio fanatics?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2016, 04:39 pm »
Sigma and SG sold, both pending quotes from Duke and cabinet guy for special specs. 

They were both seasoned audiophiles, not prone to hyperbole.  One owned a dealership.  No complaints.  Duly noted seamless sub integration, noted live SPL without strain, and no fatigue for extended listening time at high SPL (over 100 dB playing Yellow Jackets Live At The Roxie, Dean Peer bass, Roger Waters, etc).   

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2016, 05:37 pm »
What subs were you using?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2016, 08:07 pm »
Answered Josh via PM.

I am anything but neutral and unbiased.  I sell these for profit.  Only two system I heard likely outperformed this, and only above the bass range.  One was Ray Kimber's Isomike system w/proprietary DSD 4.0 program > unknown DSD DAC > oodles of Pass Labs pure class A power amps > eight Sound Lab 8' tall stats (two per corner).  The other was DSD 5.0 proprietary program > exaSound e28 8-ch DSD DAC > Bryston multi-ch power amp > 5.0 Magneplanar.  The Isomike probably projected a more 3-D image way out into the room.  And even more enveloping performance w/both, including the 5.0.  But we're talking about an extremely narrow range of programs.

The weakest link link in this system is the CDP source, a TRL-modified Sony DVP-NS900V SACD player (originally multi-ch SACD, now SACD is 2-ch only...also no DVD function).  And yes, obviously, the source is critical.  In this case, "weakest" means a Red Book source I rate one half to one step above Parasound's Halo CD1 Red Book only CDP.  It might be more generally accurate to say the two sound different, and I'd not argue w/someone who inverted their positions. 

By comparison, the $5k Resonessence Invicta DAC at 2013 RMAF made my TRL-Sony sound like it was broke (at 2015 RMAF Chris Owen of Clarity Cable said the Invicta was his all time favorite DAC, and he's auditioned many of the best in his system).   

Similarly, the TRL-Sony sounds like a caricature vs. my TT, Straingauge cartridge, and Straingauge demodulator.  The TT is an old Empire 208 platter, bearing, motor, and power switch in a Bill Berndt designed 1.5" thick solid alloy plinth, about 73 lbs.  Unfortunately, the TT is disassembled.  I plan to ship the plinth to Bill to modify it to accept a board for different arms.

I plan to deliver this eleven piece system to its owner in May in San Francisco (two Sigma, two Sigma stands, two Space Gens, four subs, one kilowatt sub amp).  The client's home is not available for demonstrations.

In case anyone is interested, I propose to spend a few hours setting up this system in someone's sound room for a Bay Area demonstration.  The nicer the sound room the better, and the larger the group of persons interested in auditioning it the better. 

If anyone is interested in the associated sub woofer system, please PM me directly.  This request applies only to the associated sub woofers.  Any other aspect of the system can be addressed here.