Synergistic Research fuses in Odyssey Kismet amps?

AGS

Synergistic Research fuses in Odyssey Kismet amps?
« on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:15 am »
Just curious to learn if anyone has installed the Synergistic Black (or other high end fuse brands) fuses in their Kismet amplifiers?  Can this type of tweak really improve the sound or is this more hype?

Tomy2Tone

Re: Synergistic Research fuses in Odyssey Kismet amps?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:23 am »
Before the flame war begins, I'll just say I've put in the SR Blacks in my Kismets and they indeed increase the performance. I changed all the ones on the boards too and it's better than any cable upgrade I remember doing. Lots of company's have the 30 day trial so it's worth a try and they only need about 100 hours to fully "bloom".

AGS

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:31 am »
Thanks for sharing your experience with the black fuses. Now you've got me thinking about it!

AGS

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:45 am »
Tomy2Tone, do you recall the quantity and type of fuses the Kismets amps require?  I have the Kismet in Khartago mono amps in my system.  Thx Al

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:52 am »
Tomy2Tone, do you recall the quantity and type of fuses the Kismets amps require?  I have the Kismet in Khartago mono amps in my system.  Thx Al

You might want to check with Klaus on your specific amp but mine have the double power supply and take a slow 10 amp at the iec inlet and a fast blow 6.3 amp on the boards. One at the inlet and four on the boards.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:54 am »
Another GREAT option to consider are Furutech fuses.

AGS

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2016, 02:04 am »
Another GREAT option to consider are Furutech fuses.
thx RDavidson. Will look into the Furutech as well. Al

AGS

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2016, 02:06 am »
You might want to check with Klaus on your specific amp but mine have the double power supply and take a slow 10 amp at the iec inlet and a fast blow 6.3 amp on the boards. One at the inlet and four on the boards.
Will do.  I agree that Kismet configurations may vary. Thx again.

limniscate

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2016, 09:21 pm »
I tried some Reds in my Magnepan 1.7i's and couldn't tell a difference.  Is there a bigger difference in the pre-amp or amp?

*Scotty*

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2016, 11:03 pm »
Does Klaus have an opinion on using this type of fuse in his products.
Scotty

AGS

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2016, 12:08 am »
I tried some Reds in my Magnepan 1.7i's and couldn't tell a difference.  Is there a bigger difference in the pre-amp or amp?
I have been told to start with the preamp first, then power amp, then speaker but that was just one persons opinion

AGS

« Reply #11 on: 15 Apr 2016, 12:09 am »
Scotty
I sent Klaus a note last night asking for his input or this subject

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #12 on: 15 Apr 2016, 12:22 am »
Scotty

I talked to Klaus about rolling different fuses before I ordere anything. He told me to go for it but to make sure the fuse had a 30 day trial because some fuses make a difference and some don't.

cementhead

« Reply #13 on: 15 Apr 2016, 10:27 pm »
 :flame:This is definitely a hot topic right now. Waiting on the Odyssey group input.

OSIB16

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2016, 09:18 pm »
When I replaced the stock fuses in my STRATOS Monos with HIFI-TUNING Silverstar fuses (solid silver) I immediately noticed a significant increase in Transparency. Now I wouldn't be without them. Bargain low price of $19.99 each at PartsConnexion. Four Nines purity silver tip to tip, now thats cheap.

AGS

« Reply #15 on: 22 Apr 2016, 02:25 am »
So I thought I would try out the SR Black fuse.  The seller advised to start with my preamp (AR Ref 2) and so I did.  With about 20 hours of use, I have to admit I am beyond surprised at what an improvement one little black fuse can make.  The black fuse was very noticeable in a couple of areas, 1), it made the mid range sound better in terms of focus and transparency, a smoother and more natural sounding presentation.  2), base range is deeper with more impact but not more bass if that makes sense.  I would like to thank those who responded to share your experiences as well.  Next step is to install the SR black fuses in the kismet in khartago mono amps

Audiophile58

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2017, 01:57 pm »
I have Furutech fuses,then upgraded to better Hifi tuning Supreme fuses, for the record, I just wanted to try 3 of the New Synergistic Research Black fuses at the sourse  My Schiit Gumbo multi bit dac,and Aurender 100h player. These are Far and away Much better then Anything out there .with a 30 day money back I had nothing to loose .and reference to like a great cable upgrade is accurate, I dd my whole system I could not be more
Hsppy

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2017, 02:04 pm »
I recently put a black fuse in my Candela preamp

Stercom

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2017, 02:47 pm »
I use SR Blacks in all my equipment including my Odyssey amp.  I think they are much better than the SR Reds which I ended up returning after a couple of weeks.  However,  I've learned over the years that I have no idea what another person may or may not hear especially when changing such things as fuses. 

OSIB16

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2017, 08:57 pm »
I use all HIFI TUNING (solid silver) Silver Star fuses in my FrankenStratos amps. Noticeably more transparent 3d sounding.