MiniDSP - why I love them

Davey

Re: MiniDSP - why I love them
« Reply #20 on: 27 Feb 2014, 01:02 am »
They already have an analog out version of the miniSHARC (OpenDRC-AN), but it's just two-channel output.  I imagine they'll just duplicate to provide the extra six channels.  The OpenDRC unit already takes care of the appropriate I2S DAC implementation.  However, they're not ES9023.  :)

A number of users are already offering DIY "daughter" boards to provide eight-channel analog output from the miniSHARC unit.  Did you see the Curryman DAC?

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/curryman-i2s-dac

Dave.

dwk

« Reply #21 on: 27 Feb 2014, 01:34 am »
I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant is that it will be tricky to create a boxed/end-user version of the miniSHARC while preserving the flexibility that is part of what makes it attractive. I know they already have 2-channel analog and digital versions, but that kinda makes my point for me - it's not possible to simply swap modules and turn an OpenDRC-AN into an OpenDRC-D, or to turn a 2-channel OpenDRC into a 4 channel OpenDRC even though the raw capability exists on the board.  IMHO an 'ultimate' system based on a miniSharc would be completely flexible in terms of how you used the output channels - mix and match analog pairs and digital pairs.  This would be really tricky for them to offer in finished form, though, which was the point I was trying to make.

Davey

« Reply #22 on: 27 Feb 2014, 04:16 am »
It seems like you're after some sort of hybrid, customizable, turn-key solution.  :)
I think you can get there currently, but you'll have to add a little DIY sweat equity of your own.  :)

Dave.

PMAT

« Reply #23 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:11 am »
I have a large 2-way Carver ALIII system. The crossovers apparently are complicated and power hungry. What could I expect using a minidsp?

Davey

« Reply #24 on: 27 Feb 2014, 03:02 pm »
I have a large 2-way Carver ALIII system. The crossovers apparently are complicated and power hungry. What could I expect using a minidsp?

Your question seems to be related to a stock-to-active conversion and not necessarily a miniDSP unit.  Please take a look here for the many advantages offered from this configuraton:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm
http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp2.htm

Dave.

sts9fan

« Reply #25 on: 27 Feb 2014, 03:49 pm »
Yeah, I was referring to the 2x4 which only has analog in. Hence the extra conversion. Plus I found it got overloaded too easy.

Davey

« Reply #26 on: 27 Feb 2014, 04:20 pm »
Yeah, I was referring to the 2x4 which only has analog in. Hence the extra conversion. Plus I found it got overloaded too easy.

Yep.  However, the 2x4 unit can easily be augmented with the miniDIGI unit to allow digital in.

The overloading issue can be a problem with certain configurations....generally when equipment on the output end exacerbates the issue.  (Power amps with low voltage gain and/or speakers with low efficiency.)  The 0.9 volt output limitation is "hard" and can't be increased without external amplification.

Cheers,

Dave.

JohnR

« Reply #27 on: 1 Mar 2014, 08:30 am »
it's not possible to simply swap modules and turn an OpenDRC-AN into an OpenDRC-D

Since you can buy the digital I/O board separately, I think this is actually possible. (You'd be on your own for the metalwork though.)

maty

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

jparkhur

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2018, 12:56 pm »
it would take some modeling, but why are people not using plug ins on their computers to do this?  There are many plugins for all the hi Rez software many are using for output?  If anyone has tried vs the dsp, let us know

maty

« Reply #31 on: 19 Apr 2018, 07:40 am »