Short-Block USB filter

Ern Dog

Re: Short-Block USB filter
« Reply #40 on: 11 Dec 2012, 02:49 am »
Try a different usb cable.  Maybe it's a bum cable?

audioengr

« Reply #41 on: 11 Dec 2012, 07:12 pm »
Steve,
I would like you opinion on whether the Short Block may solve an issue I have with the hum in my system. I used to run my iMac from a different outlet (breaker box line) than the OR5 and the rest of audio gear via: USB into an OR5 - I2S cable - W4S Dac2 - single ended tube preamp - Jensen Isomax RCA to XLR isolator (PI-2RX) - Solid state balanced amplifier. There used to be some hum but very low in level, it only could be heard with the ear close to the tweeter. Over the week-end I took your advice and connected my iMac to the same breaker line as the rest of my audio gear. The hum level can be heard from the listening positions and is quite loud. I isolated the problem to the connecting/disconnecting the USB cable form the computer. Even after I shut down the iMac altogether and the USB is still plugged into the iMac and OR5 the hum is still present. When the USB is unplugged, with or without the iMac powered, the hum is totally gone.  The USB cable is 4 meters long and runs next to the power cable for the iMac. My question is, do you think the shortblock may solve this issue? I figure it may be caused by the shielding or grounding of the USB cable and since the shielding is not affected by the short block it may not have an effect. Thank you for all your great work!

I also noticed a bit of hum through only the right speaker when using the W4S DAC2, but it was not audible in the listening position.

I believe this is a grounding problem in the W4S  when using I2S.

The Short-Block will not get rid of this hum.  The best thing is to use the same AC circuit for the computer and the Off-Ramp.  Even without the SB, the SQ will improve.  This may not get rid of the hum either, but it may reduce it enough so you dont hear it.

Steve N.

kyrill

« Reply #42 on: 12 Dec 2012, 07:29 pm »
Hi Steve

First thx for your unrelenting search for more natural sounding digital :)  Without you and your " kind" we would only have Philips and alike to listen  to , brr

I read: " Compatibility

The Short block is NOT compatible with the following USB interfaces:

Rega DAC
    Off-Ramp 3
    Berkeley Alpha USB converter
    Audiophilleo

The audiophilleo converter does not use the 5v  from the usb bus anymore if it is powered with PurePower a separate 5V battery feed power  to the AP, that makes it I believe compatible?

Does it improve things in front of the OR5?

audioengr

« Reply #43 on: 13 Dec 2012, 12:36 am »
Hi Steve

First thx for your unrelenting search for more natural sounding digital :)  Without you and your " kind" we would only have Philips and alike to listen  to , brr

Rega DAC
    Off-Ramp 3
    Audiophilleo

The audiophilleo converter does not use the 5v  from the usb bus anymore if it is powered with PurePower a separate 5V battery feed power  to the AP, that makes it I believe compatible?

Maybe it works now.

Yes.
Steve N.

DaveBSC

« Reply #44 on: 14 Dec 2012, 03:57 am »
Hi Steve

Rega DAC
    Off-Ramp 3
    Audiophilleo

You can check with Philip, but I am pretty certain that the AP + PP combination still uses a small amount of bus power for the receiver circuitry, and if you cut that with the Short-Block, it won't work.

kyrill

The Revelation Audio Labs 'Prophecy' CryoSilver
« Reply #45 on: 14 Dec 2012, 11:29 am »
you are right

For those who need still the 5V from the USB host bus for handshake or continues power this is an Steve Nugent's approved very very good USB cable.
Review: http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39178&forum=51&start=15&select_page_number=2

Sry for the big picture could not  find a smaller one with text

I have bought one ( still in the mail) and look forward to it
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2012, 08:04 pm by kyrill »

audioengr

« Reply #46 on: 20 Dec 2012, 07:25 pm »
You can check with Philip, but I am pretty certain that the AP + PP combination still uses a small amount of bus power for the receiver circuitry, and if you cut that with the Short-Block, it won't work.

You can add Peachtree to that list.

I lost my webmaster and looking for a new one so these types of website updates are not currently possible.

Steve N .

audioengr

« Reply #47 on: 20 Dec 2012, 07:27 pm »
you are right

For those who need still the 5V from the USB host bus for handshake or continues power this is an Steve Nugent's approved very very good USB cable.
Review: http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=39178&forum=51&start=15&select_page_number=2

Sry for the big picture could not  find a smaller one with text

I have bought one ( still in the mail) and look forward to it

I sell this on my Off-ramp page and I have one in stock.

Steve N.

jimiles

« Reply #48 on: 20 Dec 2012, 09:59 pm »
I started running in my Shortblock last night, and my immediate impressions are extremely favorable.  Even without a propper run in, I can agree with the comments about "tidying up" the sound.  The image doesn't necessarily seem deeper, but it's certainly wider and with more specificity to images...particularly those beyond the speakers.  Most importantly, it adds a few highly coveted inches of height to the stage. The impression that all of the performers were sawed off at the knees (or the the song is being performed by an ensemble hobbits) just kills the suspension of disbelief for me.  I'll post more details later, but I can already tell that the price/performance ratio is highly favorable.   :thumb:

Question: Is the Ridge Street Audio Alethias also a favored USB cable?    I'm wafting back and forth between that and the RAL cable above shown. 

audioengr

« Reply #49 on: 21 Dec 2012, 12:59 am »
I started running in my Shortblock last night, and my immediate impressions are extremely favorable.  Even without a propper run in, I can agree with the comments about "tidying up" the sound.  The image doesn't necessarily seem deeper, but it's certainly wider and with more specificity to images...particularly those beyond the speakers.  Most importantly, it adds a few highly coveted inches of height to the stage. The impression that all of the performers were sawed off at the knees (or the the song is being performed by an ensemble hobbits) just kills the suspension of disbelief for me.  I'll post more details later, but I can already tell that the price/performance ratio is highly favorable.   :thumb:

Question: Is the Ridge Street Audio Alethias also a favored USB cable?    I'm wafting back and forth between that and the RAL cable above shown.

I've tried it.  Didn't like it.  Even Polestar was better.  The Poiema is a great S/PDIF cable however.

Besides, RSA has fallen off the earth.  Not answering emails or phone.  Beware!!

Steve N.

jimiles

« Reply #50 on: 21 Dec 2012, 03:05 pm »
Thank for the heads up, Steve!  I had my heart set on an Axis USB cable, but did not realize that Lee had passed away.  So, that obviously didn't work. His friend who is monitoring the inbox sent a very nice message, though.  I messaged Brad at RAL last week, and got no reply.  I've also heard nothing but radio silence from Robert at RSA.  It looks like I may end up with an AudioQuest Diamond, simply because they are around to take my money   :?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 21 Dec 2012, 03:07 pm »
His friend who is monitoring the inbox sent a very nice message, though.
Josh is good dude! 

http://www.sonicweld.com/

djtw

« Reply #52 on: 21 Dec 2012, 06:40 pm »

kyrill

« Reply #53 on: 21 Dec 2012, 08:07 pm »
Thank for the heads up, Steve!  I had my heart set on an Axis USB cable, but did not realize that Lee had passed away.  So, that obviously didn't work. His friend who is monitoring the inbox sent a very nice message, though.  I messaged Brad at RAL last week, and got no reply.  I've also heard nothing but radio silence from Robert at RSA.  It looks like I may end up with an AudioQuest Diamond, simply because they are around to take my money   :?

This is for sale at the moment: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components-no-dealers/revelation-audio-labs-prophecy-dual-conduit-usb-cable-14263/

jimiles

« Reply #54 on: 21 Dec 2012, 08:40 pm »
That's a tasty deal on that RAL USB cable.  Unfortunately, I need a 5 meter cable to get back to my laptop from the rack.  (Nobody ever said this hobby was cheap!) 

I'm really stoked up about getting a USB cable, too.  I just installed the Shortblock and it made a big difference, a big difference in areas that matter most to me, too.  Then I put my plain old Belkin Gold USB cable up on Cable Risers.  While not night/day, it was certainly worth the $120.   Another trick I found that shouldn't matter as much as it does; disconnecting my MacBook Pro from the wall charger.  It mattered more before the Shortblock was installed, but I still think things are a little more relaxed with the computer running on its battery.  Clearly, I've gone about as far as I can go without shelling out the cash for an uber cable. 

Anyway, PM if anybody sees anything.  I feel a little guilty about hijacking this Shortblock thread.  (Buy a Shortblock, it's awesome!)  :thumb:

Jake

DaveBSC

« Reply #55 on: 22 Dec 2012, 10:06 am »
You should check out the JPlay forum if you're looking for advice on USB cables. The guys there are fanatics, and I think Marcin from JPlay posted what he thinks are the best cables, he's described them as miles ahead of the Acoustic Revive.

Ern Dog

« Reply #56 on: 23 Dec 2012, 05:34 am »
I just installed the Shortblock and it made a big difference, a big difference in areas that matter most to me, too.

What areas matter most to you?

jimiles

« Reply #57 on: 29 Dec 2012, 06:04 pm »
Across the board improvements in imaging, but particularly in image height.  Width is also improved, particularly the specificity of images beyond the width of the speakers. I didn't feel like my system imaged poorly, but it was the area I was most interested in improving.  Upon further listening, textures are also more realistic, i.e., brass instruments have more bite while paradoxically being less grating.  Minor details in the mix are now more readily audible.  Not that they are forced on you, but they just emerge naturally out of the mix.  Overall, its nothing life-changing but lots of little improvements with seemingly no drawbacks. 

The shortblock is so inexpensive compared to some of the other items on a USB audio shopping list, that there's really no reason not to try it.  I would most definitely pick one up before I even thought about swapping one expensive USB cable for another expensive USB cable. 

As I said in my previous post, I used it in tandem with Cable Elevators under the USB cable for an outstanding low-budget step forward.

Cheers!
Jake

Brucemck

« Reply #58 on: 31 Dec 2012, 03:45 pm »

The Short-Block does not work with the AP+PP combination.

kyrill

« Reply #59 on: 31 Dec 2012, 04:17 pm »
It will work with the generation usb cables where power and data are on two separate usb cables. The data usb cable will benefit from the SB USB  filter

no application will benefit from the dirty usb power anyway, therefore a must is this substantial filtering happening at the application side. or better a clean and good linear 5v injection. For handshake 5V ( audiophilleo) use the SB  filter is not needed