Saphire 2 ??

accentstryping

Saphire 2 ??
« on: 16 Oct 2005, 03:59 pm »
I have a set of S2's and am wondering if ya'll think they might work with the VTLtt25's (tiny tube amp 25-40watts) I also have the unpowered sub's from the early/mid 90's and thought to drive them with a Krell/AR/Levinson. Any thoughts would be appreciated.                    
                                        Tia,
                                            Michael

Mike Dzurko

• Facilitator
Saphire 2 ??
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2005, 04:23 pm »
Michael:

Those tube amps should sound great with your Sapphires. All the Sapphires have been very "tube friendly".  Powering the Sub 1s with solid state makes sense. Just be sure you have a way of matching the level between the subs and the sats. IF both amps have exactly the same amount of gain, this is no problem. IF the gain of the amps differ, (highly likely), you'll want to be able to turn the gain down on the amp that has the higher gain.  Let us know how it works out!

ksie

VTL Tube w/Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2005, 07:51 pm »
Michael,

I had the Sapphire IIe/Sub 1 combo for several years.  If you're asking will a 25w amp drive the Sapphs, no question that it will.  I used a 12w tube amp to drive both the Sapphires and the subs.  It wasn't terrific bass, but I found it very listenable.

If instead you are asking if this speaker system sounds good with tubes, the answer is YES YES YES.  IMHO ACI speakers are made for tubes.  You really hear the natural quality of the speakers with this type of amplification.

Karl