BDP-1 - the problems just keep multiplying

Krutsch

Re: BDP-1 - the problems just keep multiplying
« Reply #60 on: 30 Jul 2015, 05:50 pm »
I thought I mentioned several times Chris is looking into it and has been doing so for a while. Besides, how else would I have found the network was causing it if I hadn't diconnected it? I thought this was obvious.

Sorry... was just trying to help. I'll stop doing that.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 31 Jul 2015, 01:16 am »
Come on guys, can't we all just get along....  :thumb:  :D

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #62 on: 31 Jul 2015, 10:28 pm »
Network stuff can be a tricky thing, routers in particular. There's tons more going on there than most people realize. It's not like electricity where it works or not. There's tons of settings and options that can impact performance, and the "automatic" modes aren't all that effective.

In the cases where people are having network related issues, I'd start by swapping out data ports. Occasionally, a single port on a switch or router can go bad.

Next, swap out ethernet cables. While they don't usually go bad, it can happen. The results could be simply no data, or it could be intermittent data loss, which is much more difficult to diagnose.

If those don't fix the problem, you might try updating router firmware, factory resetting the router, or even changing your router. As an example, not every router is compatible with Apple's Time Capsule or Microsoft's X-Box.

At the end of the day, if you send your BDP into Bryston and they can't duplicate the problem, then the problem isn't likely with the BDP.

R. Daneel

« Reply #63 on: 1 Aug 2015, 07:15 am »
Network stuff can be a tricky thing, routers in particular. There's tons more going on there than most people realize. It's not like electricity where it works or not. There's tons of settings and options that can impact performance, and the "automatic" modes aren't all that effective.

In the cases where people are having network related issues, I'd start by swapping out data ports. Occasionally, a single port on a switch or router can go bad.

Next, swap out ethernet cables. While they don't usually go bad, it can happen. The results could be simply no data, or it could be intermittent data loss, which is much more difficult to diagnose.

If those don't fix the problem, you might try updating router firmware, factory resetting the router, or even changing your router. As an example, not every router is compatible with Apple's Time Capsule or Microsoft's X-Box.

At the end of the day, if you send your BDP into Bryston and they can't duplicate the problem, then the problem isn't likely with the BDP.

Hi Grit!

I swapped the ports and changed the cables like you suggested.

There's nothing I can do about the router though. It's firmware is unaccesslible by anyone but the internet provider as is always the case here. You can't even have a fixed IP address if you don't pay extra.

But the BDP-2 the dealer sent me for comparison has none of these problems. None. So it's strange.

Cheers!
Antun

doveman

« Reply #64 on: 4 Aug 2015, 08:20 am »
I think the BDP-1 is a fantastic product, especially for a first model.

I have had no major problems with it, some minor problems includes - on very early firmware versions - sometimes it was hard to update etc, and sometimes the display lags behind the song being played, some database problems that required formatting the drives and reloading the music.

But all in all, for a company that is relatively small as Bryston I think that they have done a fantastic job and always seem to want to upgrade and take suggestions from users.

When diagnosing computer problems the best solution is to change one thing at a time and try to eliminate things as you go. I haven't read the whole thread so this has probably all been suggested but.

Try to eliminate any other problems that may arise:

* disconnect the internet or any other machines on the network
*make sure your router/modem firmware is up to date - you mentioned you were not able to? is it locked to the provider? even they normally make available new updates via their websites
*does your router or other network equipment have known problems? I once set up a VOIP system for someone where the components had to be powered up in a special sequence or they simply wouldn't work.
*make sure that speed and duplex/simplex settings are on automatic or match on all devices on the network
*make sure there are no other conflicts on the network, i.e. conflicting IP address
*disconnect everything and just use your computer directly into the BDP
*make sure that you are using the correct type of ethernet cable - some devices cannot automatically sense a crossover cable.

there are a lot of things to try, maybe it is just bad luck.

ecdcyc

« Reply #65 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:49 am »
Hi!

Okay, here's the news.

The dealer kindly sent me a BDP-2 to do a demo on and compare it to the BDP-1.

I have found what is troubling the BDP-1 as I will explain:

It's the network connection. BDP-1 plays the 192/176.4k tracks only when it is NOT connected to the network. I have verified this a number of times, each session followed by a restart of the machine. When the machine is connected to the network, it skips music. When it is not connected, it plays fine.

My guess is that network connection demands more resources the BDP-1 with the latest firmware cannot handle reliably. Unnecessary things like album art and all sorts of things I neither need or want have inhibited the basic function of BDP-1 - music playback.

I have not decided on the BDP-2 upgrade yet. If I trade in the BDP-1, the extra premium for the BDP-2 is 2000 $US. The BDP-2 comes with the new BUC board but I have done extensive comaprisons with our own studio masters and I don't hear the slightest difference between the two players, even with Bryston's BDA-2/BHA-1 and Sennheiser HD800 combination. So I have strong objections to this upgrade when all it comes down to is "faster CPU and more RAM".

So what can be done to remedy the network connection burden? Disconnect from network and use the BDP-1 without the graphical user interface?

Cheers!
Antun

ecdcyc

« Reply #66 on: 24 Feb 2021, 06:56 am »
I got the same problems Antun had recently. There had been no problem at all playing 24/192 files until last month. Don't know what happened. I follow Antun's advice. After disconnecting network, the files can play smoothly as before. But I lose all the convenience of jumping from one album to another.