Center channel that's less than 8 inches high

Submarinesailor

Center channel that's less than 8 inches high
« on: 12 Oct 2015, 10:42 pm »
I'd like to build a GR Research system (2 mains and a center) but my current setup won't fit a center that's taller than 7 3/4 inches. Any suggestions?

I'd like to keep my cabinet.

Thanks!

cody69

Re: Center channel that's less than 8 inches high
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2015, 01:45 am »
Good question... the A/V's are 8" wide and X-series are 8.5"... both of which are over your size limit.
Am sure there's a way to tweak the cabinet plan to pick up 1/4" clearance if that's all you need, although likely would be some compromise depending on which route you take.

Depending on the main speakers being paired with and room characteristics, maybe the LGK driver can be used to build a center... it's cabinet will easily fit within a 7 3/4" space. I made a sound bar for a TV using essentially two LGKs that worked out well.

Interested to hear what input others have on this.

Good luck!

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2015, 02:05 am »
I'd like to build a GR Research system (2 mains and a center) but my current setup won't fit a center that's taller than 7 3/4 inches. Any suggestions?

I'd like to keep my cabinet.

Thanks!

You can reduce the height of the A/V-3S down to that level without issue. It is only a 1/4" reduction. And it's a great center channel speaker.

Submarinesailor

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2015, 12:37 pm »
Thanks Danny, I was hoping for that answer.

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2015, 03:53 pm »
Member "Ron" built a 5.1 system for his son based on the AV3Tl's, AV3S, AV1/RS and a 12" GR/Rythmik servo sub.
They are  more than happy with the  results !!

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129978.msg1373789#msg1373789

jay

Submarinesailor

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2015, 05:32 pm »
I'm going with the AV3 system - starting with an MDF center cabinet. I fully expect it to go badly so I'll plan on making two hehe.