A visit to a Friend, Tape Project, DSD, Vision MC preamp, electrostats, & more

avahifi

This past weekend I visited a friend in Des Moines, Iowa who has a completely different high end audio system I wanted to hear with very different source material then I normally use.

His system consists of first of all with a huge Otari MX5050 15" per second two track open reel tape machine and Tape Project music tapes.  He feeds the heads of the tape machine into a DeHavilland 222 tape head preamp which also has moving coil phono circuits.  He also has  highly reworked Linn LP12 turntable with external regulated power supplies and a DC motor.  The tonearm is an Origin Live with a ZU MC cartridge.

These feed into a DeHavilland UltraVerve vacuum tube preamplifier and on to a Sanders digital electronic crossover which feeds a Sanders amplifier for the bass sections of his Sanders 10C electrostatic speakers.  The electrostatic panels are driven by a hybrid power amplifier of his own design.

He had three interesting things I wanted to hear.

First, his system itself, which is VERY transparent and neutral with the limitation that it is set up as a close field configuration and there is room for only one listener in the "sweet spot."  Fortunately, I got the sweet spot during the listening time.

Second, I wanted to hear how well our new Vision phono preamplifier would fare in a really revealing system outside of my own.  I brought down my moving coil version set with 100 ohm load resistors as his MC cartridge is a Denon derivative.

Third, aside from the VERY expensive and pretty tedious to use near master tape quality of his open reel tape playback, my friend also was starting to invest in DSD playback.  He was using the very inexpensive Schitt Loki DSD DAC ($150) and had a wide variety of new DSD source material.

Short story, the tape playback wins.  Amazingly transparent and pure and no obvious flaws, other than I was not enthused about the bass transparency and definition of his system.  Better than my own home system? I am not so sure about that.  It is a completely different setup into a completely different kind of room.  It was great if you were in the sweet spot, but its a one person system for sure.  Tape playback disadvantage, you just can't change tunes easily.  Thread the tape, rewind it, and then play it through to the end and store it in the played condition.  Never tightly rewind before storing.  Pain in the ass complication in my opinion.

On to my phono preamp installed in his system after listening to his own setup.  I was really happy to hear that our inexpensive Vision phono preamp kept up to his very expensive setup just fine.  I actually liked mine better, it had more dynamics and energy content.  His was milder but a bit whimpy I thought. My friend liked his own setup best but admitted mine was a competitive unit musically.

Finally DSD playback using the Schitt DAC.  Well, this sounded very nice indeed, certainly something worth exploring further.  My friend helped me set up J River playback software on my Mac, loaded me up with a bunch of source material, and sent me home with his DSD DAC.  I am not positive why DSD playback is so nice.  I suspect that much of it is because the source material has had less mixing and cadiddling done to it.  Simply better production values than with stuff normally stuffed on a CD.  I do know that a lot of old great music will soon be available in DSD format at rational prices and terabyte hard drives are cheap now.  I am enjoying playing DSD stuff here right now.

It was an interesting trip, great visit, 500 trouble free miles driven below zero, and more music and sources to consider in the future.

A fun and educational day.

Frank Van Alstine

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
Well dangit Frank, you've gone and done it again! Sent me off to wikipedia, taken me back 30+ years (TAILS OUT ALWAYS! - just hoping my tightly rewound 7-1/2ips 10-1/2" live recordings from 30-40 years ago are still listenable), and here I am drooling on my keyboard again!

A fun and educational day indeed. And noting that we're in the same TZ, I've got enough stuff printed out that I can procrastinate until the end of MY day in hopefully 12 hours or less..

Stay warm..

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Heck, Frank, if you're up for a road trip I've got the same preamp and RTR for you to play around with.
I'll make a pot of coffee just for you!

WireNut

Hmm, well I don't know squat about DSD, guess it's time to learn. First up, where do I get the music after I have the unit :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I'd recommend trying up sampling PCM > 2xDSD within JRiver on your Mac.  If you have an Integer capable dac, I'd do that too.

dB Cooper

I heard the Sanders 'stats at CAF this past July (where I also met Frank) and they are most definitely a one person system; in fact if your head moves three inches in any direction (including forward or backward on the centerline) , the sound changes dramatically, and not for the better with lateral movement- the image falls apart. Not acceptable to me for that reason, although in the 'sweet spot', the sound was impressively detailed. Seems to me ribbons like Salk and Philharmonic (among others) use give almost if not quite the same level of detail without the head-in-a-vise limitation.

Frank, are you familiar with Mark Waldrep, the recording engineer (who was at CAF also)? He has an engineering-oriented blog called 'RealHD-Audio' and has written extensively on DSD and other digital audio topics such as this interview with Benchmark's chief engineer about DSD. Interesting stuff. You'd probably understand a lot more of it than I do (not that that is super difficult)  :lol:

Listens2tubes

Reel to reel is my latest passion, so the subject got me immediate attention. It is great to see you are getting around to try your products in other systems. As for the inconvenience of playing a whole tape, you need a Studer machine that has Library winding capability. This way you can play a cut then rewind and put on another. Later using Library wind to put your tapes back in tales out storage. It's just a matter of having the right tools.

strat95

That's great news Frank.  Nice to see you're exploring the DSD file playback.  Many DACs these days are swiss army knives able to playback all file types including PCM 24-192, DXD which I believe maxes out at 32-384, and of course DSD 64 and DSD 128.  It would be great to see your DACs incorporate at least the DSD part via USB and expand your market potential.  Doesn't the current Wolfson DAC you use allow for DSD implementation?

TV

I.Greyhound Fan

Frank, is there an AVA DSD DAC in the future?  I am considering buying one after hearing a friends system with a DSD DAC.  It would be great to have a reasonably priced tube DSD DAC.

tipatina

Frank, Would be interested in your impressions of the Ultraverve since it was one of the preamps I considered before ordering (and saving substantial$$ in the process) my T8+