Vapor Audio Breeze Bookshelf Speaker Review

Nocturne79

Vapor Audio Breeze Bookshelf Speaker Review
« on: 7 Dec 2011, 04:53 pm »
Hello everyone,

Ok disclaimer, this is my first really nice pair of speakers and also my first formal written speaker review.  I am not very good at writing down what I hear but I will do my best.  I hope you enjoy the read ☺

First off I want to mention that Ryan with vapor audio has wonderful customer service.   He was also quick and polite to answer any questions I had and when I talked to him on the phone he was a wealth of information about these speakers.

My setup is the following,   
Itouch with HD files---iPure-I20----AVA Vision Dac-----Virtue Audio M901(without tube buffer)---Vapor Audio Breeze speakers----Musical Enjoyment ☺

I will attempt to break the sound below,

Treble is clean and smooth and is without any harshness that normally would cause me fatigue.

Mids are fantastic, there is really good body to the music.  To be honest the first time I heard this I was like, soooo this is what nice speakers do lol.

The bass is very tight and has great impact when it is called for in the music.  The bass is never muddy or blurs notes into one mess.  For example in bass players of jazz music I can clearly hear the individual notes played clearly .   I was actually very surprised by the bass this wonderful speakers produce.

The Breeze speakers have a full sound but without losing any details in the music.  I found these speakers to be astounding when I listen to any type of music I throw at it.  To me the really sweet spot was jazz music but that is also my favorite music so I am sure that has a huge factory in my listening opinion  :)

Instrument separation is awesome, I can very clearly pin point the location of instruments from multiple songs I play.   This was all done with a non treated room as I live in an apartment currently so someday when I can treat the room I am very excited for that sound lol.

Hope you enjoyed the read and have a wonderful holiday everyone
Crazy Nocturne

ricardojoa

Re: Vapor Audio Breeze Bookshelf Speaker Review
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:13 pm »
Did you get the box cabinet or the curve cabinet?
I thought i saw the curve cabinet on their gallery and i wonder if the breeze could be built with curve cabinet and a different veneer.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:21 pm »
My setup is the following,   
Itouch with HD files---iPure-I20----AVA Vision Dac-----Virtue Audio M901(without tube buffer)---Vapor Audio Breeze speakers----Musical Enjoyment ☺

When you say "HD files" on the iPod Touch, I assume you are actually referring to 16/44.1 uncompressed WAV/AIFF or lossless compressed ALAC?

Steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2011, 05:35 pm »
Congrats Nocturne!!!!! Nice setup... :thumb:

Nocturne79

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2011, 07:57 pm »
Hey there, sorry I meant I just get the downloaded HD Track songs thru a flac app on the itouch and it sounds really good to me. I also have lossless songs thru itunes from normal cd's.    I actually do not know what bit rate it is or anything, never paid much attention to it.  heh if it sounds good to me then I just leave it alone :)

Have a great holiday

Crazy Nocturne

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2011, 09:38 pm »
Thanks for posting your thoughts Nocturne, and congrats on what sounds like a fantastic system!

I wonder if the breeze could be built with curve cabinet and a different veneer.

Yes, we can do custom veneers.  Even with the Breeze, each pair is still built to order so customization is no problem. 

srb

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2011, 09:45 pm »
I know you previously said you were using PE cabinets to keep the Breeze at a low price point.  When you say custom veneer, do you veneer on top of the already veneered PE cabinets, or are you now talking about a much more expensive custom cabinet?

Steve

Carl V

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm »
I know you previously said you were using PE cabinets to keep the Breeze at a low price point.  When you say custom veneer, do you veneer on top of the already veneered PE cabinets, or are you now talking about a much more expensive custom cabinet?

Steve

Perhaps the Breeze is using the PE Cabinets & like SELAH audio
Places custom Veneers over the usual Maple or Cherry....I know
I have done so in the past, to good effect.  Seems to be a very
cost effective thing to do.  Add some internal bracing etc., saves
a great deal of time &effort.

vdejulio

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2011, 10:39 pm »
Hey Guys,
Dont post much but read this thread and am currently having a pair of Breeze speakers built. From what I know (if Im not mistaken).  Through conversation Ryan Removes the veneer from the PE cabs and then veneers over the cab with your choice of custom veneer. There is an up charge but well worth it to get something you really want. He also mods the internal cabs with a custom dampening material. This is where the cabs get all their weight from. If you look at the specs, I think each cab is around 36lb's. Mine should be here soon and can give some impressions on sound and fit and finish when they arrive. Ryan, if I'm mistaken please correct me. I know Ryan is super busy and might not have time to post. Just thought I would give any info that might help out.
Vince :thumb:

Nocturne79

« Reply #9 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:31 am »
Grats on the up coming new speakers vdejullo.  Look forward to hearing your impressions of them once you get em :)

Happy holiday everyone

shinny

« Reply #10 on: 3 May 2012, 12:23 am »
Vince,
Have you gotten your Breezes yet?
Thanks,
Steve

stlrman

« Reply #11 on: 3 May 2012, 01:18 am »
I wrote Vince a while back and he said he did receive them and loves them. I asked a follow up question, and got no response, and a re follow up and nothing.  Seems like he does not frequent Audiocircle, although he answered my first pm in a day.
Steve , I am sure you saw my pics and short review.
Todd

vdejulio

« Reply #12 on: 3 May 2012, 03:11 am »
Hey guys,

Just saw this thread, sorry to those I have not gotten back too. Been super busy and I do apologize.  Yes I did recieve the speakers! Mine were done in Santos Rosewood with plain black baffles. No other upgrades, I used my own stands and crossovers in the cabinet with Ryan's stock crossover parts.  Really nice set of speakers. Honestly I havent had the proper amp to pair them with. My intention was to use a Ayon Orion with them, currently getting serviced (bad resistor took out a couple of things internally) In the mean time I have been using a custom EL84 Class A push pull integrated. Only about 12watts per channel.  In my small room the Breeze come to life but I want to get more power behind them to see what they can really do. Believe me these 12watts are very, very nice and the Breeze sound very nice at moderate levels. Before I make any serious judgments I need my Ayon back :evil: I dont want to get in to any specifics like soundstage and timbre etc.... cuz I dont have the proper amplification for the speakers at the moment.  With that said this was more of a response to those I have not responded to. Again I apologize and happy listening :D