Just ordered a Big 7

wisnon

Re: Just ordered a Big 7
« Reply #20 on: 4 Oct 2014, 11:56 pm »
Similar feedback at CompAudiophile:

Freshman Member
Hi all,

Wanted to give an update on my Big 7 DAC. If you remember from a few pages back it was at the factory to address a few issues which were mostly unique to my high sensitivity system. I must say that Lukasz and Fred are among the most helpful and accommodating people I have ever dealt with in years of high end audio; at least I personally have not had the wonderful experience of working directly and communicating with the designer and owner of a very respected and busy company in this fashion!

In any case, it duly arrived back at my digs after Lukasz did an extensive rework. Previously, due to the high sensitivity nature of my system (102dB sensitive Avantgarde Unos) I had some residual concerns about the background noise/hum level as well as some microphonics, though this was only when run direct DAC to amp, using the built in resistor relay attenuator. Previously when run through a preamp (I use a Placette passive pre) the noise issues vanished, though I felt it lost a small, but palpable degree of immediacy and emotional connection when run that way.

When I received the unit back the week of the New York Audio Show, I was pretty excited to see what Lukasz had wrought. He had implemented a different grounding scheme and modified the circuit topology in a way that he was extremely satisfied with, and I had been chomping at the bit to hear the results. He had also swapped out my original EML 45's for a set of the PSVANE 101D tennis ball tubes.

I let the unit burn in for a day or two, and finally sat down to listen critically a day or two before NYAS....
Quick reply to this message Reply    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote    Multi-Quote This Message  Blog this Post       
Today, 07:57 PM #344
Freshman Member
Cueing up the first track, Bassface Swing Trio's "April in Paris" on the Sennheiser DSD sampler, I was frankly blown away. Jaw dropped. Astounded.

I had the DAC running direct to my Art Audio Jota monoblocks (300BXLS) amps, and the noise issue was COMPLETELY resolved, as if it had never been there in the first place. In its place, coming from the depths of a smooth, black background was wonderful, juicy music with a sense of "there-ness" that I can only describe as meaty, fleshy magical presence. I've heard many other DACs do "hi-fi" on my system but none with the reassuring sense of solidity and emotional connection I was hearing. A measure that I use, albeit subjective, is how soon and vigorously my foot starts tapping with the music. As my wife can attest, at live opera and concert performances, this becomes a big issue for the poor audience member seated beside me. With the Big 7 in full flow, I found myself with a large smile on my face and my foot pumping vigorously with the resonant palpability of each bass note.

Switching gears to Valery Gergiev's SACD of Natalie Dessay as Lucia di Lammermoor, "Spargi d'amaro pianto", another of my reference tracks, gave a remarkable change in scale and pace. This time, instead of being front row seats at a jazz bar, I was transported to about Grand Tier level with the orchestra laid out below. Immediately heralding Dessay's entrance is a flute obligato - the Big 7 took this to a new level of clarity and palpability; I could almost feel the vibration of the flutist's embouchure and his/her fingers on the stops. I have heard Natalie Dessay sing the same role from Row H at the Metropolitan Opera in the 2010 season, hence I consider this track a good benchmark for reproduction fidelity, the differences between the Met and the LSO's Barbican halls not withstanding. The Big 7 takes it PRETTY DARN CLOSE!

To be continued....

sfox7076

« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:42 pm »
The eagle has landed.  Can't wait to get it humming tonight.  Will start with the stock tubes.  Will switch to non stock in a few days/weeks. 

sfox7076

« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2014, 04:44 am »
Burning in now.  Wow is all I can say.  I amusing the stock 101D tube and the stock 274b rectifier.  In a few weeks, the Western Electric 274b and the RCA 45 globes will go in.  I expect another notch then, but just out of the box, this thing sounds amazing.  So far a lot of details I never heard in recording before.

sfox7076

« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2014, 05:14 am »
Ok, had to try a NOS 5u4G JAN RCA black plate.  Have to let it play for a bit and see if it opens up a bit.  Not as transparent as the stock 274b.

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2014, 01:59 pm »
Outstanding, Shawn!  The DAC is going to continue improving over the next couple hundred hours too--especially as those Jupiters Caps work themselves in. 

I told you the 101Ds were no slouch!  As a point of information, they're not the cheapie Shuguang ones, but the Psvane 101Ds so they're pretty good quality stuff.

Mark my words:  the inexpensive Shuguang 274B rectifier will be tough to beat.  Robert and I suggested to Lukasz he make the stock and Lukasz compared it to many other tubes finding it and the EML 5u4g to rule the roost.  Your Western Electric seemed like it may have been a bit better when we plugged it in at the NY Show, but that stockie is not cheaply bested IMO.

Enjoy the DAC and thanks for posting your initial impressions!

Fred

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2014, 02:01 pm »
Picture or it didn't happen.  :D

sfox7076

« Reply #26 on: 16 Oct 2014, 02:17 pm »
Jason,

Will post it later.  Can't wait for my 1625 amps to be done.  Then, all I need to do is figure out power with the wife...

Shawn

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 16 Oct 2014, 02:20 pm »
Jason,

Will post it later.  Can't wait for my 1625 amps to be done.  Then, all I need to do is figure out power with the wife...

Shawn
Cool. 

wisnon

« Reply #28 on: 16 Oct 2014, 10:30 pm »
Outstanding, Shawn!  The DAC is going to continue improving over the next couple hundred hours too--especially as those Jupiters Caps work themselves in. 

I told you the 101Ds were no slouch!  As a point of information, they're not the cheapie Shuguang ones, but the Psvane 101Ds so they're pretty good quality stuff.

Mark my words:  the inexpensive Shuguang 274B rectifier will be tough to beat.  Robert and I suggested to Lukasz he make the stock and Lukasz compared it to many other tubes finding it and the EML 5u4g to rule the roost.  Your Western Electric seemed like it may have been a bit better when we plugged it in at the NY Show, but that stockie is not cheaply bested IMO.

Enjoy the DAC and thanks for posting your initial impressions!

Fred

Well when I get set up, I will be testing the stock recti vs Phillips metal base GZ34, Mullard ceramic GZ34, Mullard GZ37, various 5ARs and 5u4gs. In all i should have about 10 different rectis which represent 5 classes of tubes.

wisnon

« Reply #29 on: 16 Oct 2014, 11:11 pm »

sfox7076

« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2014, 05:50 pm »
So here it is in my rack (which is temporary as I am moving around my whole system).  It has more breathing room than it looks because of the angle.  The cabinet is open on both ends as well (with mesh to block hands from touching).

When it is all set up again, I will post real pictures.  Now to pick new speaker cables.  My current Tesla Accelerator cables are about 2' too short, so I am looking to sell/trade them.  Also demoing some others soon.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 17 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
Nice. Between speakers and dac you must be in audio overload.   :lol:

sfox7076

« Reply #32 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:03 am »
And I may have finally tracked down my other 101d... 

sfox7076

« Reply #33 on: 25 Oct 2014, 09:38 pm »
Switching to the Cunningham tubes tonight. 

Gopher

« Reply #34 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:35 pm »
Outstanding, Shawn.   See if you can get some 300Bs in there on the 2a3 setting.   I'm getting some really good feedback on that tube and its my next one to try.

Switching to the Cunningham tubes tonight.

sfox7076

« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2014, 12:18 am »
 :o  I am taking a pass on 300Bs.  $200 per tube is too much for new to me to get excited about.  And NOS is in the stratosphere. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2014, 01:22 am »
Keep a lookout for some Sophia Electric 300B 2.5v (which are designed for 2A3 applications)--I just put a pair of the Carbon Princess 300B 2.5v in my 2A3 amp, and even tho they only have about 30-35 hours on them I am really liking the sound.

Not cheap, but cheaper than 300Bs. JJ also makes a similar tube that many like, I haven't heard it.

As a total SET/double heated triode nut now, I bet the Lampi with these output tubes is sweet!

Randy

SearchOfSub

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 26 Oct 2014, 05:05 am »
I wish I had a Lampi Big 7.

sfox7076

« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2014, 12:22 pm »
Elrog looks interesting, but are $650 a tube.  I am buying 1625 amps to avoid that issue. 

sfox7076

« Reply #39 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:33 am »
Love the 45s in the Lampizator.  Hoping to score my other 101d.  I found I someone who says he has  it.   Now to buy it.