Paul Pang's Audio Grade USB Card is the Real Deal

raysracing

Re: Paul Pang's Audio Grade USB Card is the Real Deal
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm »
For perspective based upon my results and system, I found the linear supply hooked up to the PPA card to be much more profound than the SSD battery upgrade. The things you noted are bumped up several notches when you add the Acopian. The SSD upgrade is well worth the effort but would place the linear supply a higher priority.  :wink:
I hope the one I was watching on ebay is still there.  What I love is I am happy now.  Female vocals had qualities Ive never heard before-literally. That is not usually the case. I feel bad for my turntable. It has been neglected but for one night in a long while.

Thanks especially because I am spreading what little budget I have around. I still need an amplifier (cheap SET).

Edit:Purchased an Acopian 5v1A PS for $10 on ebay. Too bad shipping was $12. 

raysracing

« Reply #21 on: 20 Jan 2014, 06:43 pm »
First track with the Acopian was the Norah jones 16/44.1 rip of "seven years." The steel guitar in the left channel was amazing. What a difference a $10 part can make. Too bad I didnt have this for last night's party.

shahed

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jul 2014, 09:45 pm »
How are you guys powering ppa usb through CIAudio PSU?

I've the older CIAudio VDC-SB which has a rating of - 5V DC @ 2.2 Amps. The newer CIAudio VDC 5 mk II has output voltage of 5V DC @ 2.5A.

So, I'm guessing the older CIAudio VDC-SB should be adequate for the ppa usb?

I need a dc to molex cable to power the ppa usb card or does it have a dc in? Anything off the shelf available or do I've to make something custom?

Anyone compared Acopian to CIAudio psu?

shawbros3

« Reply #23 on: 25 Jul 2014, 11:50 pm »
How are you guys powering ppa usb through CIAudio PSU?

I've the older CIAudio VDC-SB which has a rating of - 5V DC @ 2.2 Amps. The newer CIAudio VDC 5 mk II has output voltage of 5V DC @ 2.5A.

So, I'm guessing the older CIAudio VDC-SB should be adequate for the ppa usb?

I need a dc to molex cable to power the ppa usb card or does it have a dc in? Anything off the shelf available or do I've to make something custom?

Anyone compared Acopian to CIAudio psu?

Hey Shahed,

That older CIAudio power supply will be plenty enough current for the PPA card.  The PPA card does not have a DC jack like the SOtM card, so you will need to buy a DC to Molex cable.  Paul sells a 3ft cable for like $18 shipped.

Good luck...

shahed

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:22 am »
Thanks Luan! That was helpful! Just started doing my homework for a future music server.

sKiZo

« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2016, 06:05 pm »
OLD THREAD ALERT! 

Just installed the Paul Pang v2 in my HTPC, using the Acopian power supply. Agree with the general assessment here, that it takes everything up a notch or two.

Question: My computer is "soft start", so there's really no way to have the Acopian brick turn off when I do a normal shut down. Or is there? Right now, I opened up the computer's power supply (oh no's ... I voided the warranty!) and soldered in a lead direct to the 120v cord socket, but that leaves both the Acopian and PP powered up constantly. Bad idea? I'd think there's a way to add a relay so that the new stuff powers up/down using the soft switch, but not sure how that would work either. As is, I'm not worried about the Acopian - just another wall wart really.

Also wondering about 5v from the Acopian back feeding into the motherboard buss when the computer's turned off. I imagine PP was smart enough to kill the 5v connection in the PCI/E connector so that can't happen, but you know what they say about assUming stuff. I suppose there's also the issue of longevity having the card powered constantly, even on idle?

PS ... long term reports? I figure you've all had more than enough time to do a full break in by now ...