Velodyne SMS-1 and multiple subwoofers

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Velodyne SMS-1 and multiple subwoofers
« on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:46 am »
Kevin,

I thought I would ask you this question before trying to contact Velodyne directly. I've noticed that Velodyne states that the SMS-1 can be used with multiple subwoofers, actually a maximum of 3. How does that work exactly? I see that there are 3 LFE outputs in the rear, but, correct me if I am wrong, each of these outputs is the same equalized signal. I doubt that the in room response of each of the 3 subwoofers, when unequalized will be the same since they will be located in different parts of the room (which is advantageous from a room modal standpoint). So is the microphone measuring all 3 subs running at the same time and does the client then use this measurement to manually set the EQ? Sounds like you would really need 3 SMS-1's to get the best bass in this scenario right?

A little off topic: I read Outlaw's little setup manual on the SMS-1 which is nicely written. I disagree with the 'importance' they place in "stereo" bass and trying to market two SMS-1's for that reason. Most music has bass recorded in mono (I mean less than 100 Hz) and I for one can't tell the difference at all. Unfortunately, even in Outlaw's manual I couldn't find an answer to my original question above.

Thanks for any advice.

Anand.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Velodyne SMS-1 and multiple subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:56 am »
Anand,

You are correct in your thinking.  Although you can connect 3 subs to a single SMS-1, any equalization applied will be to all three.

For my HT setup, I will be employing two SMS-1's in this configuration:

SMS-1 -> (2) GR Research/Rythmik OB subs + Butt kicker (no equalization)
SMS-1 -> (2) Homemade subs using a 12" B&C driver in each sub (with equalization)

I run the sub out from my Denon 3808 into the first SMS-1 and the second SMS-1 connects to the first SMS-1 and gets an unaltered signal.

This setup allows me to have subs positioned all around the room, as well as emply some eq.

George

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:11 pm »
Anand,

You are correct in your thinking.  Although you can connect 3 subs to a single SMS-1, any equalization applied will be to all three.

For my HT setup, I will be employing two SMS-1's in this configuration:

SMS-1 -> (2) GR Research/Rythmik OB subs + Butt kicker (no equalization)
SMS-1 -> (2) Homemade subs using a 12" B&C driver in each sub (with equalization)

I run the sub out from my Denon 3808 into the first SMS-1 and the second SMS-1 connects to the first SMS-1 and gets an unaltered signal.

This setup allows me to have subs positioned all around the room, as well as emply some eq.

George

George has it exactly right.    The device is only capable of one equalization curve.    If the subs share a physical location (one on top of the other) you likely only need one EQ curve.   Once you separate them in space, the equalization needed will change.   How much depends on a lot of variables. 

Hypex has a DSP (and another in development) that allows simple reallocation of the DSP resource to different D/A converters so something like that can have multiple outputs with different equalization curves.   Its target market is multiway active loudspeakers not subs and it doesn't have the same Auto-EQ & measurement capability.    If you have a way of taking measurements though the Hypex is very nice because you have all the flexibility you need to independently apply filter functions to ANY channel as needed.   

For subs only, the SMS-1 is going to remain a better option.

bsoko2

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:15 pm »
I have a Anti Mode 8033B and I use it with 4 subs. Once I have the curve I then run it through the SMS-1 for further tweaking.

Setup is: AVR ---- SMS-1 --- 8033B --- 4 SUBS.

Bill

stereocilia

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:25 pm »
I think that the SVS AS-EQ1 can adjust two subs independently, but I have no experience with it.  I don't know of any others.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:35 am »
stereocilia,

Thanks a lot. A little pricey at $749, but it does handle (2) subs like you mention.

Kevin, thanks for the input.

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2010, 03:43 pm »
Hi fellas,

Just finished reading the Audioholics review of the SMS-1. I thought the review was quite good actually. It points out just a few flaws in the unit that I agree with. First is measurement is limited to 1/3rd octave smoothing and in this day and age, it should be significantly better, but it probably will be more expensive as well (In fact manufacturers should stop using 1/3 octave smoothing etc and stick with something better like 1/10th octave. In fact Harmon [who have unbelievable resources including an anechoic chamber] utilize 1/20th octave measurements). Second is that the Auto EQ should be used very carefully as the unit itself is a little too aggresive (i.e. 9dB boosts at 20Hz!).

But overall, it looks like a great unit, especially at the price that Kevin is blowing them out for ($399). Hopefully in future units, equalizer bands are extended and it can be used with multiple subs with different eq settings. That would be a very cool one stop solution. I will most likely purchase one for myself to play with as it easily can be sold for that low price if I find it unnecessary. The Behringer DCX unit is also out there but doesn't have its own microphone etc, even though it is cheaper. When you add it all up, the costs are about the same as the SMS-1.

All great food for thought.

Anand.