Tempest-X2 Slot-Port Design

Kevin Haskins

Tempest-X2 Slot-Port Design
« on: 16 Oct 2009, 08:19 pm »
I have a customer with a CNC machine, that wants to pop out some cut parts for a Tempest-X2 slot port design.   I've drawn this up to make it as simple as possible for someone to put together a killer sub, on a fairly tight budget.

Design constraints were that it needed to fit on a single sheet of 4'x8' MDF, and it had to use an off-the-shelf amplifier that had a subsonic filter that didn't need modification.    In other words, you don't need to solder on the circuit board to achieve the proper filter.   Easy....

I'm also working up a drawing, with a few easy modifications that will allow someone to cut their own if they have a table saw, and a router.    A sheet of MDF cost about $20, the 500W version of the amplifier about $250, and the driver about $219 so the complete cost of this beast, should stay around $500 unless you want to get crazy on the finish.   

I'm very confident, that there is nothing that will come remotely close to challenging it that can be bought off-the-shelf, so it represents a great bargain for anyone willing to perform a little sweat equity.

Here is the simulation, using 80% polyfill, just over 5 cubic feet and the slot port is 1.5" x 19" giving plenty of port area.   Tuning frequency is around 21Hz which works great with the provided subsonic filter in the standard amp.   In-room response will be into the teens and you get very good output from the ever so important 20-60hz range. 

Click on this link and you can download the PDF drawing of the part.   If you click on the drawing of the subwoofer in the PDF, you should be able to rotate it around and check out the design from any angle.   I've made the braces blue, and the side translucent in order to easily see the inside features and port profile.   

http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/Slot-Tempest.pdf

Kevin Haskins

Re: Tempest-X2 Slot-Port Design
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2009, 08:20 pm »
Performance comparisons.....

SVS PB13 Ultra..... munch munch...     The Tempest-X2 has more cone area, more swept volume and if you use the 1000W PE amp, more power in a slightly larger box.   Port area is about the same but no comparison on this one, the slot ported Tempest should eat it for lunch.   $1600 plus shipping Internet Direct

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb13ultra.cfm

AV123 MFW-15"    munch munch.... Mark does a good job at offering good value but no comparison here.   The Tempest-X2 is just a much more capable driver, with more power on tap in a larger enclosure.    Strike one, two and three.     $699 + shipping

http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=265&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

JL Fathom F113.   This isn't even a fair comparison.  The JL is sealed, with lots of power and a great driver but the laws of physics are on our side.   I'll take Newton in my corner, thank you very much.    It is smaller, a good compact sub with good output.   The signal processing stuff is nice, but you can just get a Velodyne SMS-1 and copy all of that functionality.   Price.... don't even ask,   $3400 each!.   You could build an entire array of Tempest-X2 slot ports and one of them alone should handily outperform a single F113.   

http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=371

taloyd

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2009, 09:34 pm »
Kevin,

I'm guessing this won't work with the Tempest-X as the X2 likely has more motor such that it allows for a smaller box...

I have the original "Applications" file for the Tempest-X, but have always been a fan of slot ports...

thanks,
-Tal

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2009, 09:39 pm »
Kevin,

When, if you have time, do you have a set of plans for a Tempest X2 + Two 15 inch passive radiators? Slot ports are cool, but passive radiators are even cooler although more expensive. It also simplifies the box slightly as you can get away without any braces if you place the drivers in properly, no?

I figure the plans from the Shiva X2 + two passive radiators can be upgraded to the Tempest version.

Best,
Anand.

taloyd

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2009, 05:35 pm »
Kevin,

I'm guessing this won't work with the Tempest-X as the X2 likely has more motor such that it allows for a smaller box...

I have the original "Applications" file for the Tempest-X, but have always been a fan of slot ports...

thanks,
-Tal

Firstly, I've never quoted myself before, strangely narcissistic.

Secondly - what would have to be adjusted for the original Tempest-X? I purchased one secondhand and would love to build a slot-loaded box for it...

much thanks,
-Tal

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:27 am »
Kevin,

thanks,
-Tal

Firstly, I've never quoted myself before, strangely narcissistic.

Secondly - what would have to be adjusted for the original Tempest-X? I purchased one secondhand and would love to build a slot-loaded box for it...

much thanks,
-Tal

Yea... this is totally inappropriate for the original Tempest-X.   This design is only suitable for the newest design.

I quote myself all the time.   I guess I'm narcissistic.  ;-) 

parodielin

« Reply #6 on: 9 Apr 2010, 01:59 pm »
Kevin,

Could you provide the actual dimension of the pdf drawing?  I couldn't get that from the pdf. 

My guess is the dimension is somewhat flexible as long as its about 5 cubic ft and with a slot of 1.5" x 19" (High and Width, does the "depth" matter?).

If you could provide a reference dimension that would be helpful!  For 500W amp, I can use the PE Bash 500W, correct?

Thanks!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:57 pm »
I don't have a dimensioned drawing but if you look at the external dimensions, and figure that it is all based upon standard 3/4" MDF, the rest will pop out of the equation.