Kit81M question.

massappeal85

Kit81M question.
« on: 19 Jan 2003, 10:02 pm »
I've nearly decided to go with Kit81Ms over Jordan JX92S monitors for use as nearfields based on more bass output from the 8 inch woofer, a flatter frequency response (the graphs I've seen for the Jordan monitors didn't look too flat, which I wouldn't mind as long as they sounded good but probably not good for use as monitors), and the Jordans are not reccomended to be played very loudly.

However, the Jordan drivers are full range and coaxial, thus I hear (this could be the wrong word) have little "defraction". The kit 81Ms however aren't coaxial. I'm curious how/if you overcame this defraction issue in the design or what distance I need to be within the speakers untill it starts to become a problem.

Also, kinda of a newb question, but when building these, is everything flush mounted (I can do that), and since the tweeters are off to the side on each speaker, do I set up the speakers with the tweeters farthest out from eachother (i.e. should the right channel be the speaker with the tweeter off to the right.)

Thanks.

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
Re: Kit81M question.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2003, 02:35 am »
Quote from: massappeal85
I've nearly decided to go with Kit81Ms over Jordan JX92S monitors for use as nearfields based on more bass output from the 8 inch woofer, a flatter frequency response (the graphs I've seen for the Jordan monitors didn't look too flat, which I wouldn't mind as long as they sounded good but probably not good for use as monitors), and the Jordans are not reccomended to be played very loudly.

However, the Jordan drivers are full range and coaxial, thus I hear (this could be the wrong word) have little "defraction". The kit 81Ms however aren't coaxial. I'm curious how/if you overcame this defraction issue in the design or what distance I need to be within the speakers untill it starts to become a problem.

Also, kinda of a newb question, but when building these, is everything flush mounted (I can do that), and since the tweeters are off to the side on each speaker, do I set up the speakers with the tweeters farthest out from eachother (i.e. should the right channel be the speaker with the tweeter off to the right.)

Thanks.

The KIT81M - like ALL speakers, including the Jordans - has diffraction.  They key is to use drivers with low profiles, and/or flush-mount the drivers.  And that is what we did - the AV8 has a VERY low profile, as does the TM025F1 tweeter.

Positioning is correct; our speakers work best with the tweeters on the outside.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio