RE: VPI HW-19 - The old tweaks are the best tweaks

Bill Epstein

RE: VPI HW-19 - The old tweaks are the best tweaks
« on: 10 Apr 2007, 05:32 pm »
Especially if you're as old as I am.

Back when the HW-19 II was new, we all twisted the belt into a figure 8. See if it doesn't tighten up the bass which will clean the mids. And maybe have a positive effect on those older motors and pulleys wandering.

Wayner

Re: RE: VPI HW-19 - The old tweaks are the best tweaks
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2007, 09:44 pm »
Unless your belt is extremely stretched, why do it. and If it is, there is the cause of your problem.

W

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2007, 07:51 am »
I've got a HW-19jr. that's currently undergoing a mini-restoration...I'm wondering if mass-loading the plinth will improve anything...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2007, 04:07 pm »
I added 2-3 lbs of Plast-i-Clay to the top acrylic of my Mark III...there was some benefit in doing so.

I didn't remove the springs, I left 'em there....but I filled the innards with wads of Acousta-stuf (usually used inside speakers) to damp the steel ringing.  I though it, too, was slightly beneficial.

Using Tufoil in the bearing was also worthwhile.

The effects of all three were important, but pretty mild.  I still like my direct drive better.

But, that could change if I ever added SAMA and SDS....but at a cost of $14000.00 more for that I'll stay blissfully ignorant and a bit richer  :wink:  That's just my view - to each is clearly your own  :thumb:

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2016, 01:45 am »
The SAMA and the SDS make a big difference.  I have a Denon DP-75 Direct Drive also, and it is damn good.....as good in the bass as my VPI-19 Mk.IV and my SOTA Sapphire, but it is pickier about the shelf its on.  It has to be on concrete.

I'm a big believer in suspended tables.  These unsuspended tables today are great if you set them on a rigid concrete column, but are susceptible to structural vibration on ANYTHING else.  Any turntable mfg. who tells you otherwise is full of BS.  They all collectively went to un-suspended tables to go cheaper, and because the suspensions themselves COULD impact the sound.  In other words the transferred the structural vibration problem to the users. 

This is a huge cop-out, but audio companies get away with cop-outs everyday.  Some of the stupidest audio designs in history are the mega-buck crap that appears in TAS and Stereophile on a monthly basis.  The audio industry seems to have set itself up to sell "sizzle" and not real audio improvement.  I still do not understand why they haven't move onto 5.1 multi-channel (MCH) as the standard when it is clearly superior with a MCH recording (Pentatone for example).  Oh well.