Re: Cheap Tweaks ($100.00 or less)

ohenry

« Reply #80 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm »
Mike, PM me the imprinted information on the cord jacket, and I'll compare it to what I have to see if it's the same.

Edit:
It's all made in China, BTW.  My cord is imprinted with:
(UL) SJTW E56356 VW-1 60o C 300V 16 AWGX3C (followed by a string of metric parameters).
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2008, 12:09 am by ohenry »

mluckow

« Reply #81 on: 28 Jan 2008, 01:28 am »
ohenry, thank you very much for the help!

I sent you that information in an email.

In case anyone else is interested, here's what's imprinted on the cord I bought:

(UL) C(UL) SJTW E176194 3/C 16AWG(1.31mm2) 300V VW-1 60o C CSA SJTW 205585 3/C 1.31mm2 (16AWG) 300V FT2 60 oC MADE IN CHINA

So, it’s a little different than the information on your cord, but I wonder if the differences are relevant or not.  Does anyone know?  It would be nice if it's the same exact cord.

The cardboard package looks almost exactly like yours, but the UPC code is different, and the fine print above it says, “Distributed by/Exportado por: LG Sourcing, Inc. P.O. Box 1535, N. Wilkesboro, NC 28659 USA”   It also says, “Model 30007”  The item number is the same as yours: #144845.

Thanks!

Mike

bacobits1

« Reply #82 on: 28 Jan 2008, 03:08 am »
Henry,
I just picked up the exact numbered Utilitech cable you listed today at Lowes.
It was the last one! Is there a run on these things?  aa
I will post my findings here.
Currently using for a long time Kimber 8TC

Den

I got around to making these up today. 2X7' (with writing from the amp), and as per 6 moons article with 2 twisted wires for + and one for -.
These are really nice sounding cables no, VERY nice. Highly recommended. As was mentioned great tone and balance.
All for $7.89. Geeze!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2008, 03:06 am by bacobits1 »

zmanbands

« Reply #83 on: 5 Feb 2008, 11:58 am »
Hammond Chokes [filters] 193M and 193L. Potent tweeks, Extremely cost effective and under $100. Good prices at tubesandmore. Place in your power conditioner using a high grade a/c plug, and/or a duplex outlet with audio/video, at the component on the detachable power cord using monitor/power supply liberator [IEC liberator]. Very synergistic with Alan Maher Power Enhancers also great tweeks. See Industry Talk forum Alan Maher power enhancer[PE].

rhing

« Reply #84 on: 9 Feb 2008, 01:54 pm »
I just bought the Woods Yard Master Patio Cord from Wal-Mart ($7.88 for 40 ft.). Being a bit skeptical, I didn't tin the ends or add any connectors for a pair of speaker cables, because I wanted to hear for myself if this was worth the hassle. Well, it is. These cables do everything that Jeff Day of Six Moons and anyone else who has tried them has claimed. Needless to say, I have placed an order with Audio Magus for the Multi-Contact banana connectors and the Switchcraft RCA connectors. Once I get them, I'll also roll a pair of interconnects. Like Doak, I won't even think about a new pair of speaker cables for a long, long time.

bluemike

« Reply #85 on: 9 Feb 2008, 03:25 pm »
Pick up some Ebony Macassar wooden blocks and put these under your components and cables

This made a significant difference in my system something I wasn't expecting

I heard an added "Sense of air and Extension" across the whole musical spectrum !

Harmon

« Reply #86 on: 9 Feb 2008, 06:05 pm »
Hey guys.  This is an inexpensive tweak but produces a huge difference in sound.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50320.msg451495#msg451495

gstraley

« Reply #87 on: 10 Feb 2008, 04:43 am »
I was just sent these Myrtle wood blocks to audition. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accsrack&1206326739
   I brought them over to a friends house this afternoon to give them a quick listen in his system. Under his modified Esoteric CD player the Daruma III's that he had underneath sounded a little better. We then installed them underneath his ElectroCompanient preamp and was pleasantly surprised how much better the soundstage solidified. The orchestra now did not seem as one dimensional. You could almost see the different rows of musicians playing in the orchestra with these blocks underneath the preamp. We then put them underneath his Atmosphere  monoblocks and we experienced a similar improvement. Was a bit more pronounced under the preamp tho. At $10.00 for a set of 3 plus shipping this was a no brainer and the best improvement that has tired underneath the preamp and amps. Keep in mind all of his equipment was already on Mapleshade 2" Maple platforms. I was pretty impressed at the sonic improvement that he received for $15.00. One interesting thing with these blocks is that Phil marks the bottom side. He claims that in his listening test that there is a difference sonically by the way that the grain in the wood goes.
    I am now looking forward to hearing them in my system when I can get some time to sit down and listen for  more than a few minutes.
    As always your mileage may vary depending upon your systems resolution.

Gregg

DeanSheen

« Reply #88 on: 10 Feb 2008, 07:59 am »
Thanks Greg.  I just ordered up a set for my pre. 

$15 is a darn good deal.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #89 on: 10 Feb 2008, 08:33 am »

Herbie's Baby Booties: 1/2"diameter x 2/32" high tiny feet provide isolation for light components such as Dac's, power supplies, preamps, etc. Weight range from 4oz to 10lbs. I personally have never disliked any of Herbie's footers, Fat Black Dots or Tube Dampeners. $3.19 each or an adhesived back one for $3.69. Save the $.50 and use superglue.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #90 on: 10 Feb 2008, 09:05 am »
I think these are just under the hundred dollar ceiling and they woke me up when I slipped three of em under my line stage- Rollerblock jr's, to isolate things from your rack or whatever supports them.

doak

The Big Pillow Solution
« Reply #91 on: 24 Feb 2008, 01:35 am »
Anyone who has a TV screen between their speakers, or even in the same room with them should give this a try.

I've traditionally had my music only system in a different space than the TV/HT stuff - actually for a long time I didn't even have a TV.
I finally took the plunge and bought a big plasma screen for watching DVD movies (Netflix is a godsend) and have the sound piped through the stereo system.  I had a full blown 7.2 HT system and tried to do an "all in one" type HT/audio/everything system but I could never get my records (as in vinyl LP's) to sound like I wanted them to.  I think the whole "surround sound" thing is basically a gimmick anyway.

I'll cut to the chase: I knew that 50" screen (actually measures 34"H x 48"W) was affecting the sound.  Even though my speakers, Emerald Physics CS2, are well in front and to the sides of the screen they are di-poles and about as much sound comes out of the back as the front.  I knew I was getting plenty of reflection off of that monster.  I started experimenting by draping multiple blankets over the screen when listening to music. There was no doubt - the center fill was much better and everything seemed to be more focused.  I brainstormed about about a better way of accomplishing this - something more convenient and more aesthetically pleasing. What I came up with is a BIG pillow.  We're pillow afficianados here.  My lady has nick-named me "the pillow engineer" for reasons not related to this post - "The right pillow for the job at hand" is my motto.   aa

I did an internet search and came up with something that was just the "ticket".  Advertised dimensions are 36" x 60" x 12".  It actuallly measures 34" x 55" x 10", hence my use of the "booster" pillows you can see in the photo.  This thing is heavy, estimated 30 lbs, and stuffed with shredded high density foam rubber.  It certainly does a great job of sonically and visually masking the plasma screen.  When we want to watch a movie the BIG pillow serves as nice backrest on the sectional sofa.

My version of the "FuF Pillow" is made of eggplant colored velvet fabric.  It costs $87 plus $14 shipping, so officially at $101 total it's just above the $100 limit for this thread but with a different fabric choice it can be delivered for under $100.

Here's a link to the vendor.  Nope, I have no connection with them except as a customer:
http://www.beanbagsuperstore.com/foof-floor-pillow-large-velvet.html

I've always said that I'd never have a music system that included a TV but I've learned never to say never.  This solution looks like a "win/win" from my perspective.  Try it yourself startng with some heavy blankets and see if you may want to make an the investment in a practical and flexible solution to the "big screen" problem.

There are cheaper ways of getting this done, but with this solution you get something otherwise useful AND something that does the sonic job VERY well.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2008, 12:38 am by doak »

weirdo

« Reply #92 on: 23 Mar 2008, 11:08 pm »
Far too lazy to check if any posts covered it yet but I recently got a pair of the Daikom feedback stabilizers for 39.99 each. They go between the output connectors of your devices and the Interconnects.  I have no idea what is inside the little box with wires. Ok stop laughing for a minute. They actually work.

Cleaned up the screaming and garbled sonics of the redbook CD's so much I am postponing upgrading my CD player. Any other takers out there? Any that will admit it?

Best tweak I've used in the last 5 years.   

darrenyeats

« Reply #93 on: 24 Mar 2008, 10:13 pm »
I haven't read through the 10 pages of posts so sorry if this has been mentioned.

My number one free tweak is to move your equipment away from the speakers. I have my player and amp behind my listening position. This helped pretty much everything.

Also, depending on your floor reducing floor vibrations can help. I use spikes under my equipment, a slate tile under the spikes and a bicycle inner tube under the slate. (Same for my speakers except wood planks instead of tiles.) I have a suspended wooden floor and I can feel it vibrate with my feet sometimes. So this makes quite a physical difference to the floor vibration reaching the equipment. Also you can jest with visitors about pumping up the stereo...

Disclaimer: not tested these blind (bit tricky!) but each of these seemed to have a positive effect. Logically, if they have any effects they will be good ones - other than potentially wasting time and effort of course.  :wink:
Darren

darrenyeats

« Reply #94 on: 25 Mar 2008, 11:38 am »
Also...

If you own an SB3 the best (and free) tweak is to use Inguz. I use it to do digital EQ on the bass frequencies and without a doubt I can't live without this now. See this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=51994.0.

Buy a cheap mains filter. Mine is in budget (approx $80) and shown here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=46830&doy=25m6. This tweak falls into the same category as my previous post - hard to be sure it makes a difference but it can only do good.
Darren

RPM123

« Reply #95 on: 25 Apr 2008, 04:08 am »
Call your utility company and have them check the terminal connections (especially if you live near an ocean... the salt air will corrode the connections) to the utility pole and into your home. If there is a bad connection, your system will be picking up all kinds of noise from your appliances. The best part is that it is free...  aa at least if you live in California.

sorenj07

« Reply #96 on: 25 Apr 2008, 04:24 am »

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #97 on: 13 Jun 2008, 01:55 pm »
Henry,
I just picked up the exact numbered Utilitech cable you listed today at Lowes.
It was the last one! Is there a run on these things?  aa
I will post my findings here.
Currently using for a long time Kimber 8TC

Den

I got around to making these up today. 2X7' (with writing from the amp), and as per 6 moons article with 2 twisted wires for + and one for -.
These are really nice sounding cables no, VERY nice. Highly recommended. As was mentioned great tone and balance.
All for $7.89. Geeze!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone,

I have purchased these WLM cables (using for speakers only) as well and installed them in my new system.  Being a new system I have no reference but everything is sounding really good.  I am curious if there would be a difference if you just twist all the wire together and use this one "whole section" per lead, + / -?  This is what I have done instead of separating out the black and using it as a - only.  My thoughts were more is better and at the ridiculously low cost why not? 

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

James

denjo

« Reply #98 on: 17 Jul 2008, 04:36 am »
Tweak: Cyrus Isoplat

Bought this isolation platform in 1993 and recently cleaned it and placed the platform under my tuner. The sorbathane feet still feels bouncey. The platform feels hefty and is made of MDF wood. All these years, no sign of wood warp but grey paint looks a little dull. Does any AudioCircler still use the Isoplat?

Best Regards
Dennis

jimdgoulding

Re: The Big Pillow Solution
« Reply #99 on: 22 Jul 2008, 10:32 pm »
Anyone who has a TV screen between their speakers, or even in the same room with them should give this a try.

I've traditionally had my music only system in a different space than the TV/HT stuff - actually for a long time I didn't even have a TV.
I finally took the plunge and bought a big plasma screen for watching DVD movies (Netflix is a godsend) and have the sound piped through the stereo system.  I had a full blown 7.2 HT system and tried to do an "all in one" type HT/audio/everything system but I could never get my records (as in vinyl LP's) to sound like I wanted them to.  I think the whole "surround sound" thing is basically a gimmick anyway.

I'll cut to the chase: I knew that 50" screen (actually measures 34"H x 48"W) was affecting the sound.  Even though my speakers, Emerald Physics CS2, are well in front and to the sides of the screen they are di-poles and about as much sound comes out of the back as the front.  I knew I was getting plenty of reflection off of that monster.  I started experimenting by draping multiple blankets over the screen when listening to music. There was no doubt - the center fill was much better and everything seemed to be more focused.  I brainstormed about about a better way of accomplishing this - something more convenient and more aesthetically pleasing. What I came up with is a BIG pillow.  We're pillow afficianados here.  My lady has nick-named me "the pillow engineer" for reasons not related to this post - "The right pillow for the job at hand" is my motto.   aa

I did an internet search and came up with something that was just the "ticket".  Advertised dimensions are 36" x 60" x 12".  It actuallly measures 34" x 55" x 10", hence my use of the "booster" pillows you can see in the photo.  This thing is heavy, estimated 30 lbs, and stuffed with shredded high density foam rubber.  It certainly does a great job of sonically and visually masking the plasma screen.  When we want to watch a movie the BIG pillow serves as nice backrest on the sectional sofa.

My version of the "FuF Pillow" is made of eggplant colored velvet fabric.  It costs $87 plus $14 shipping, so officially at $101 total it's just above the $100 limit for this thread but with a different fabric choice it can be delivered for under $100.

Here's a link to the vendor.  Nope, I have no connection with them except as a customer:
http://www.beanbagsuperstore.com/foof-floor-pillow-large-velvet.html

I've always said that I'd never have a music system that included a TV but I've learned never to say never.  This solution looks like a "win/win" from my perspective.  Try it yourself startng with some heavy blankets and see if you may want to make an the investment in a practical and flexible solution to the "big screen" problem.

There are cheaper ways of getting this done, but with this solution you get something otherwise useful AND something that does the sonic job VERY well.

Something like this is a good idea, IME.  Was auditioning some speaks for my daughter in my two channel TV set up.  Had a brain fart and brought in a single GIK panel and stood it front of the TV.  Things focused up, got some depth of field.  Much better rendition of things.