Mahogany subs

Brian Bunge

Mahogany subs
« on: 21 Sep 2005, 03:41 pm »
I thought I'd share pics of some ribbon mahogany subwoofer enclosures I built.  These will each be housing a Tumult and an ADA1200 amp.

chip

Mahogany subs
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2005, 03:46 pm »
Brian,
Those boxes look beautiful....I hope my GR sub boxes turn out looking like that - just no rounded corners as I don't think my friend has tools for that?

Brian Bunge

Mahogany subs
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2005, 04:02 pm »
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Concerning the rounded corners, all you need is a router and a 1/2" or 3/4" roundover bit.  A 1/2" bit is the largest that a router with a 1/4" collet can accomodate.  If there's a 1/2" collet, then you can go 3/4" and larger.  The bits aren't that expensive if you order them from MLCS.

www.mlcswoodworking.com

jonwb

Mahogany subs
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2005, 07:13 pm »
Those do look beautiful Brian.  Its amazing how things turn out when you know what you're doing.  I wish my Alphas looked half that good.   :oops:

I'm guessing that since they are matching enclosures that they are both going to the same home.  Just what everyone needs two Tumults  :beer:  YIKES!

Brian Bunge

Mahogany subs
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2005, 03:45 pm »
Jon,

Hey, if you ever decide you want new cabinets built for them you know who to call, right? ;)

Concerning the subs, these were shipped to Kyle Richardson of Acoustic Visions.  He had a customer local to him that purchased these.  Yes, two Tumults in one system would be very nice indeed!

I'll be posting pics of my new towers which are currently in the works in the next couple of days (I wanna get all the "building in progress" pics together and post them).  Each of them will weigh more than one of these cabinets with the Tumult and amp in place!  Hell, without drivers and XO's installed they already weigh in excess of 160 lbs.!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Mahogany subs
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2005, 05:01 pm »
Hey, if you ever decide you want new cabinets built for them you know who to call, right?

Of course, he's going to call me.  :D
Jon, I built Danny's Alpha cabinets for him - the ones on his website.

Brian, that's beautiful grain!  Tape-Ease?  Your customer is going to enjoy the looks as well as the sound of those babies.  Will you finish them in polyurethane?  BTW, have you used the latest water-based polys?

Hank

Mahogany subs
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2005, 05:01 pm »
oops - double post

Brian Bunge

Mahogany subs
« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2005, 05:18 pm »
Well, Hank I've built 3 pairs of Alpha cabinets along with about 4 more baffles!:)

Yes, the veneer is from Tape-Ease and they are already finished in the pics.  They have 4 coats of semi-gloss poly on them sourced from my favorite local unfinished furniture store.  No Minwax crap on my cabinets!:)

I haven't used any water-based polys.  I wonder how the final finish looks?

Hank

Mahogany subs
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2005, 07:07 pm »
Brian, I haven't used water-based poly on speakers yet, but I've seen pics and read in woodworking magazines that one good aspect of it is that it is clear, versus the standard solvent-based poly that has a brownish-yellow tint.  So, if you're applying it to a light-colored veneer, it won't alter the final color.  As far as durability goes, my bud finished a kitchen table with it 5 years ago, and it's held up great to lots of wear and kid abuse.  Next time I need poly I'm going to try the water-based stuff.

BradJudy

Mahogany subs
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2005, 09:14 pm »
I have used water based polyacrylic on maple veneer.  It does a good job of preserving the original color of light veneers like Maple, but you also have to be careful of swelling from water absorbtion.  

Brian - Those look very nice.   I don't see any bracing in those subs - is the extra thickness really sufficient for a high power sub like this?

Brian Bunge

Mahogany subs
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2005, 09:44 pm »
When you say polyacrylic, do you mean the Minwax stuff, or is there some other brand.  Because I refuse to use Minwax unless absolutely necessary.

Concerning the cabinets, they're 1.5" MDF walls and are plenty rigid, IMHO.  My old Tumult was built the same way except the cabinet was only an 18" cube made of 1.5" MDF walls.  Of course, it was so small there was no way to brace the thing.  These really wouldn't benefit much from bracing either I don't imagine.

BradJudy

Mahogany subs
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2005, 10:32 pm »
Yes, Minwax Polycrylic was what I used (sorry for the wrong name, just checked it now).  It's definitely the best thing I have used so far for keeping light woods light.  I'm not a big woodworker, but I have used polyurethane, lacquer and oils - all tend to darken and/or yellow the color.